LR3 keyfob / remote disintegration

@Blaise the key is cut to the VIN. If you can find a locksmith that can cut a key and program it, swing by SpaceX cuz you’ve cracked the code that nobody else has and you deserve to be on the Mars mission.

Point is, the key is not the expensive part, the laser cut to the VIN and then programming is what you are paying for.

I’m pretty sure that $16 key is only a paperweight unless you take the cuts out of your old key and put them and the key tab in the new housing.

Blaise

Well, I actually turned down the opportunity to work for SpaceX (I'm an aerospace guy) sooooooooooooooooo..... :D

Been busy but will try to get to it in the next week or so.

@LKLK Did you get the key cut from the locksmith and then program it via your Gap Tool? Do you remember off hand how much the key and the cut was and if you sourced the key from elsewhere and then brought it to Ken's Locksmithery?

Cost and where did you get the LR replacement key?
Cost of the laser cut from Ken's Locksmithery (estimate)?
Where and how did you program it?

Thanks for the follow-up! You're the number two man on the Mars mission with @Blaise hahahahaaha!

This could be great info as a way forward for so many if this process is working and affordable over LR!

Cheers,

E

DVD

Adventurer
Same idea, different vendor. Last week I bought a couple of these off of ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112336273935

They shipped but haven't arrived. I'll try to have the keys cut (I'm pretty sure the key must be in the ignition for GAP tool to do its programming thing) and then program it with my GAP tool.

Figured I'd give this a try before buying a new key/fob from a BP Utah for close to $300 and least saving some by doing the programming myself.

@DVD you are correct, the key must be in the ignition for GAP programming, but no fret, it is super easy with the factory keys! I can't confirm what non-factory keys will or will not work so we are all patiently standing by for the updates from a few of you brave souls!

LKLK

@LKLK Did you get the key cut from the locksmith and then program it via your Gap Tool? Do you remember off hand how much the key and the cut was and if you sourced the key from elsewhere and then brought it to Ken's Locksmithery?

Cost and where did you get the LR replacement key?
Cost of the laser cut from Ken's Locksmithery (estimate)?
Where and how did you program it?

Thanks for the follow-up! You're the number two man on the Mars mission with @Blaise hahahahaaha!

This could be great info as a way forward for so many if this process is working and affordable over LR!

Cheers,

E

Price off hand, not sure. Its was very reasonable. The key was a blank that came with the replacement fob cover. The key was purchased on amazon and did an install of a new battery as well (at home). Programming was easy with a gap iid tool. if you are in the oc area you can always send me a pm for help. It is a little involved. but is a fun project. I don't think I spent more than 60-80 bucks total to do this. But it was earlier this year.

Give kens a call. They probably quote you over the phone.
Bonus: the new key blade works way better than my original!

amazon link:

http://a.co/d/2S3zwsj

Blaise

Is that really the link? There's no electronics in that particular one.

Sorry for not completing the Mars mission yet. Maybe next week, airplanes keep me busy.

Housing is surely a different beast but this still doesn’t solve the problem of a replacement key when one is lost or needing a spare without programmable electronics.

However, we almost have a full crew for SpaceX. Keep up the good work fellas, we are almost there I hope.

LKLK

Key replacement is similar. Just buy one with the chip built in from an eBay seller. Cut the key and call it a day.

DVD

Adventurer
Same idea, different vendor. Last week I bought a couple of these off of ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112336273935

They shipped but haven't arrived. I'll try to have the keys cut (I'm pretty sure the key must be in the ignition for GAP tool to do its programming thing) and then program it with my GAP tool.

SUCCESS!!! The keys arrived today. I figured I try one at a time. Took my old, beat up, original key (that looked like the OP's key fob in the 1st post) and the uncut spare to my local Ace Hardware. Asked if they could duplicate the key cut, and the guy said he'd give it a try. At first it seemed to not quite fit into the ignition, but I took off the door lock cover and tried it in there. Had to kind of force it, but after that, it inserted easily, and then worked fine in the ignition.
The programming with the IID tool was super quick and easy (hardest part was finding the right menu to initiate the process).
New key starts the vehicle and the fob lock/unlock work fine! But I will carry both the new and old for a few weeks.

SUCCESS!!! The keys arrived today. I figured I try one at a time. Took my old, beat up, original key (that looked like the OP's key fob in the 1st post) and the uncut spare to my local Ace Hardware. Asked if they could duplicate the key cut, and the guy said he'd give it a try. At first it seemed to not quite fit into the ignition, but I took off the door lock cover and tried it in there. Had to kind of force it, but after that, it inserted easily, and then worked fine in the ignition.
The programming with the IID tool was super quick and easy (hardest part was finding the right menu to initiate the process).
New key starts the vehicle and the fob lock/unlock work fine! But I will carry both the new and old for a few weeks.

Boom! Nice work and keep us posted over the next few weeks on any changes if a problem should arise!

Oh, and you’re the Mission Commander for the SpaceX Mars mission. Call Elon, he’s waiting for your call! Don’t forget to round up your crew from the thread! Hahaha.

Genius!

Boston90

This is great. Guess I’ll give it a try. Will check with the hardware store to see if they think they’ll be able to cut it before ordering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior