LR3 Overhead grab handle attachment

LR Max

Local Oaf
Has anyone seen how the overhead grab handles attach? Does it screw into the body? Are there bungs behind the headliner?

I have a 5 seat LR3, but am going to install 3rd row grab handles so I can install some overhead storage. Using stock grab handles to keep it looking clean. I've already got the grab handles and screws, but they are just...screws. Didn't know if they just attached to the headliner or if they bolted to the body through the headliner.

Thank you for any input!

krick3tt

Adventurer
One of mine broke and I had to fix it. Mine have a little tab that lifts and behind that is a screw that attaches the handle to the metal behind the headliner. Use a sharp object like the blade of a pocket knife to lift the tab. Phillips screw.
Anything that attaches to just the headliner is not meant to take any weight.

Ray_G

Explorer
On a 7 seater there are bungs there, I just shipped a soft attic to a buddy with a 5 seater with overhead grab handles included...expecting that he'll do what you are looking to do-explore under the headliner to confirm or deny the screw will meet with something.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Update: There is an extra bracket needed. I went and talked to my local LR dealer and their prices...nah. So for the time being, I'm going to hold off on the project.

Also I'm working on the headliner this weekend (leaking sunroof, which is what got this all going, but found out I can probably just fix it). So I'll be poking around in there.

Abran

Observer
Bummer, I just sent a 7 seater to the junkyard on Monday... I would have pulled them as I am doing the conversion to a 5 seater.

Abran

Observer
A few a year. Just got done with this one, and have a ton of parts on the shelf from previous ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke