LR3 rear diff oil

Glapin

Hey guys,

I'm embarking on a 5,000 mile journey in 2 days. Found a small leak in the rear diff where the CV enters. It's not activily dripping at all, but there's definitely some fresh oil on the diff after a long drive. I just had them serviced with fresh oil along with all the other fluids and preventative maintenance. Any pro tips on checking the level and adding diff oil if needed while on the road? My mechanic seems to think it'll be fine, but I've had one too many run ins with Mr. Murphy and his stupid law of things going wrong.

Thanks in advance

Like most diffs, its fill-to-spill so the only way to check it is to pull the FILL plug (NOT drain plug) and it should be at the level where it spills over the edge of the hole (Level with the FILL port).

If you are time limited, just drive and monitor it and carry some diff oil with you in the event you need to top it off on a maintenance stop. Diff oil is relatively thick viscosity so it takes a lot to dump all of it and you would know if the leak is really bad. Every time you stop, clean and check the seals where the leak is and if you have time, pull the FILL plug and check it when its cold and top off the next day (You'll need to raise the truck to get under it and be level but off-road height with the fuse pulled so it doesn't lower on you is possible; I've done it.)

Then, if you plan to change the seals, I would do a full rebuild on the diff since LR3 are known for diff problems, and install an ARB locker at the same time. That is my plan.

Glapin

Like most diffs, its fill-to-spill so the only way to check it is to pull the FILL plug (NOT drain plug) and it should be at the level where it spills over the edge of the hole (Level with the FILL port).

If you are time limited, just drive and monitor it and carry some diff oil with you in the event you need to top it off on a maintenance stop. Diff oil is relatively thick viscosity so it takes a lot to dump all of it and you would know if the leak is really bad. Every time you stop, clean and check the seals where the leak is and if you have time, pull the FILL plug and check it when its cold and top off the next day (You'll need to raise the truck to get under it and be level but off-road height with the fuse pulled so it doesn't lower on you is possible; I've done it.)

Then, if you plan to change the seals, I would do a full rebuild on the diff since LR3 are known for diff problems, and install an ARB locker at the same time. That is my plan.
Thanks Brother,

You the man. Well, we made it 1,100 miles to Santa Fe so it couldn't have been that bad. I was checking the drip/leak area every stop. I'm here for a couple days so I'm gonna check the level and get some extra. You read my mind on the rebuild and locker, which, if she gets me through the next 3 weeks and 4,000 miles with the family I'll pour my heart and soul (and wallet) into her.

Thanks Brother,

You the man. Well, we made it 1,100 miles to Santa Fe so it couldn't have been that bad. I was checking the drip/leak area every stop. I'm here for a couple days so I'm gonna check the level and get some extra. You read my mind on the rebuild and locker, which, if she gets me through the next 3 weeks and 4,000 miles with the family I'll pour my heart and soul (and wallet) into her.

Anytime, save travels and keep us posted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz