LR3 Transmission service and Leak....

03Evan

I would make sure you replace all of the seals that are between the valve body and transmission as well. There are 4 small tubes and a rectangular seal. I would also remove, test resistance, and clean your solenoids and replace the o-rings.

I did all of the above on my 296k mike LR3 and it drives like brand new. I also used LiquiMoly instead of lifeguard fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatorgrizz27

Those heat shield bolts are a bit of a “gate keeper”, the worst part of the job IMO. If you get that free the rest isn’t terrible. My favorite tool combo for the oil pan bolts was a cut down Torx bit with a 10mm Gearwrench. The sleeve took a decent amount of force to pop in to where the retaining clip could slide in, I was worried about breaking it but didn’t have any problem.

I used a regular cheap outboard motor pump to refill the trans. It’s supposed to be in a certain temp range when checking the level topping it off, the IID tool will give you a readout. Also, don’t pull the drain plug with the engine off before you “top it off”. Not that I’ve done that even though I knew better...

03Evan

Edit: didn’t realize I had already replied to this

Do everything you can while you have the pan dropped. I bought a two piece pan from lucky 8 which makes the job a bunch easier.

In addition to the connector sleeve, there are 4 tube/seals and a rectangular seal that go between the mechatronics unit and the transmission body. Replace those while you have everything apart. I also recommend pulling the solenoids, cleaning and resistance testing them before reinstalling them with new o-rings.

As for fluid, I decided to try something new and landed on liqui-moly for my trans fluid after reading several posts on bmw forums of people who have been using the fluid with no issues in their ZF units. It is a fraction of the cost of lifeguard, and liqui-moly makes excellent oils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well before I order parts and tear into the transmission I took some pictures. Everything look dry at the plug. But there is some corrosion on the back of the pan. I’m going to park it with nose up for a while today and see if it starts to leak again and fallow. 54BA3BB9-30C0-440A-98E8-6B23F8A114AD.jpegDA367174-0F17-4E2B-9439-D285B1C22BF7.jpeg

Blaise

Don't wait - fill it up ASAP.

Mine also was leaking in this position and I was nearly 4 liters low. Do it now, even if it means 'wasting' some fluid before you do the proper repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94