lr4 on 33" tires

apex944

1" Wheel Spacers went on today. With spacers on the right. Without on the left.
At standard ride height, with the 265/65R18 BFGs it rubs slightly on the "frame horn" at full lock. Also rubs the plastic inner fender liner at about 3/4 lock but not bad.
At the "off road" height setting there is no rubbing. Once I install the IIDTool I'll be good. Looks better but the downside is it definitely throws more dirt down the side.
I think a 20mm (3/4") may be a better option for this tire size.
I wanted to see how it looked with these wheels, spacers and the stock white wheels arches. I think the black arches are next on the list to purchase.

1523222852688.png

1523226709309.png

Last edited:
Great looking build and I'll be watching.

From your quote "I'd be fine with some heavy modification to make them work." you should cut the frame horns and ditch the spacers. Spacers were the worst mod I've done and so happy to have them off and sold. Way too much load on the drivetrain for the benefit IMO......again, my opinion! I'll send you two 25k wheel bearings as proof if you want to see the spacer "benefits" up close!........sarcasm of course.

I can't help you on the flaps, but JWestpro can so hit him up as he has Defender flaps on his D3 and they look sick!

Hope this helps!

Jwestpro

Explorer
Yup. Which is why I'd like to find some Defender like mud flaps.

View attachment 440891

Anyone sell anything like this that would work on the Disco 4? I'd be fine with some heavy modification to make them work.

View attachment 440892

Visit Rovers North. They have what you want. Just notice that there are several styles and some have a special flap cut-out to allow for how the exhaust pipe ran through the area too close on one side. The lr3/4 just needs the symmetrical ones. You'll have to make you own mounting plate and either rivet or get hardware. I like stainless hardware and aluminum flat strap to fab things like that.

Jwestpro

Explorer
1" Wheel Spacers went on today.

I think a 20mm (3/4") may be a better option for this tire size.

H&R "gowide" makes the best spacers IMO. German quality, smart seating of studs via pressed spline, not an annoying back threaded bolt that can loosen.

They have 2 sizes but I swear it was 25mm and 30mm, maybe go see if it wasn't 20/25.

zelatore

Explorer
I'd like to point out a couple of small points.

First, this thread started out as fitting 33" tires. I happen to like the 265/65/18 size on this platform and usually recommend it as my 'go to' size for most people as it fits with minimum or no mods. But it's less than 33", and the KO2 isn't particularly aggressive which further helps fitment. It's a great option for the LR3/4 given how most of them are used but just be aware of these details if you're trying to fit a true 33" MT tire - you'll need to do a bit more trimming to fit it.

Second, wheel spacers do help with caliper clearance, upper ball joint to sidewall clearance (another tight spot on these trucks) and will help with avoiding the wire loom on the driver's side frame (which you already zip-tied up and out of the way, right?). But it will HURT the clearance to the front and rear of the wheel well as the tire turns through the now increased swing circle. I have a set of 3/4" spacers which I could run when I had a 275/65/18 tire, but when I moved up to a 275/70-18 MT I had to ditch the spacers as it put the shoulder lugs too hard into the rear of the wheel well. Specifically, they were catching on the front plate of my sliders where it wraps up into the bottom of the wheel well near the (cut down) frame horns. Without the spacers I'm fine. Or if I was perhaps running an AT tire without aggressive side lugs I'd be OK with the spacers. But when trying to squeeze every bit you can you won't be able to use a spacer.

apex944

which you already zip-tied up and out of the way, right?

Correct.

So far the tires only hit when reversing. They touch the frame horn at 75% lock and just brush the front inner fender at about 50% lock.
The spacers are 25mm but I'm thinking about taking 5mm off.

I was an H&R dealer for years. Decent stuff. But German law is different, meaning that spacers made in Turkey can say "Made in Germany".
Mine are made here and are of excellent quality. http://www.motorsport-tech.com/special/truck/landrover_s?Next=16-30

zelatore

Explorer
Sorry, didn't mean to say you specifically, more 'you' as in whomever might be reading this thinking about doing the mods.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Correct.

So far the tires only hit when reversing. They touch the frame horn at 75% lock and just brush the front inner fender at about 50% lock.

I was an H&R dealer for years. Decent stuff. But German law is different, meaning that spacers made in Turkey can say "Made in Germany".
Mine are made here and are of excellent quality. http://www.motorsport-tech.com/special/truck/landrover_s?Next=16-30

Those look good. Can you post a real photo of the backside to see how the studs mount into the disc? I'll try to grab a shot of mine as well.

zelatore

Explorer
Correct.

FWIW, I got my spacers from those guys as well several years ago. I don't think they list the 3/4" size any more, but the spacers do fit well and are nicely made. I also see the prices have gone up since I bought!

Lemagus

265/65R18s

It seems some are saying there is rubbing with this tire size and some say none. In looking at a number of threads seems the prevailing wisdom is that there should be no fitment issues with this size for most of the common tire choices.

I prefer no spacers and no lift rods.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
For an LR3, 33" will rub for sure. 31.6" was the max diameter for minor rubbing at full compression. The rubbing was no big deal, unless you have rear air, and over time it could rub through the coolant hoses. Those hoses can be relocated. There is also a body seam that can cut into the tires. That is fairly easy to resolve also. If you remove the plastic fender liner, you can then grind or pound flat the seam.

After doing all that, 32" are good to go, but 33" will still require a lift, via rods or programing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles