LR4 - remove 3rd row seats

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
Hi Guys,

I am looking at permanently removing the 3rd row seats as I have a drawer system installed.

So my question to you is, has anyone removed the 3rd row seats? have you made a false floor? Any photos to share?

Last edited:

GORM

Adventurer
So I wanted it to be be modular.
- platform with 3/4” plywood
- attached ARB fridge slide
- built box to hold 4 Front Runner soft packs and my stove sideways

Key was figuring out the height which allowed me to see out back windows unhindered and get max clearance to allow me to put camp chairs ans table underneath. Like it, though I’d like to make pull out table. The modular design will allow me to make change to remove the box and make changes without starting from scratch.

Another upgrade would be to use carpet or sound deadening, lr3 has lots of road/ wind noise so that might help.

Good luck.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Side note: I like those 12v outlets. Did you tap into local 12v+ connectors in the back or did you pull wire from the battery?

I could easily add a 12v and a couple of USB connections in the back of mine.

GORM

Adventurer
So the outlets on the right side (US passenger side) are tied into a Blue Sea fuse box behind the rear panel and has leads going to the battery. Lines run down the door sills and under dash to a PITA hole behind the driver side battery box where the dual battery is. I have second fuse box behind driver dash with ubs and cig lighter for CB. I was thinking of attaching the cubby fridge to the dual battery as well, might be neat for times I’m not carrying th arb fridge.

I did cut hole in my cabinet to access the stock cig lighter in the 3rd row area so I could access, but have not found an actual use for it.

I have mine out in my LR3 for a while now and have not put a false floor in just yet. I am actually going to see my buddy tomorrow who has the plasma table to cut my console mounting plate. I am looking at making some brackets for the rear area as well that allow me to flush mount a panel over the top of the so it's level like the old fold down seat layout. Ideally, I'll be able to access that area for some sort of storage use when I build the sleeping platform. There is a company that makes a water tank that fits in there that I have considered, however my hold up on that end is that I do not want to keep putting all the weight on the back wheels and move some of that forward to the center seat areas.

I'll be paying attention to your ideas as seeing all of the options from people on here is really help me narrow down my final design.

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
Having posted this question on another forum im on, I got the following replies... Some great DIY ideas here :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

and another

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DETOUR-GP

Rockstar
I will be making a similar frame to put under the drawer system... I am in 2 minds about the water tank, will see :)

I knew I had it saved in my "one million random links" page!

Discovery-Parts in Germany sells them! A bit pricey but considering the internal leak factor I think its worth peace of mind. This was my first option and then I decided that maybe my second row seat removal would be a good place for a square floor mounted tank to keep the CG forward and a tad lower and also compensate for the 40lb seat removal.

Personally, I think this Lion Parts tank is a solid option and direct drop in for anyone wanting to fill that space with usable kit. Of course, with a drawer kit, there needs to be some thought into filling but I think that could just be a fitting and hose attachment.

More pictures on the site!

Lion Parts Wassertank Discovery 3&4

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 7.42.29 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 7.42.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 7.42.29 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 46

Jwestpro

Explorer
Mine have been out for many yrs. I never got around to building a hard floor surface but all
Of this is under the rubber cargo mat from back of 2bd row seats to rear tailgate edge. Rubber mat sits at same level flush with sides. All items are below that original floor level an under the mat:

1-48” high lift lodged between wheel arches rift at back of seats
2-high loft wheel hook, large red soft surface plate
3-2 heavy duty 3 way wheel chocks
4-recovery bag w chain, snatch, shackles, pulleys, etc
5-tool roll suffiencent to fully R/R any suspension or driveline parts
6-bushranger air bag lift/jack
7-2 GSI aluminum stools & 2 GSI small al tables
8-4 tele al poles for staking out tarps
9-2 folding concert venue seat/chaira
Few Smaller bits

High lift lodges in snug but is also held down w strap to D rings in floor near base of 40L ARB fridge sitting in 2nd row center seat slot

Jwestpro

Explorer
I’d rather have all that stuff tucked away than use it up w easy to manage water carrying. I usually have 4 gallons in two rotopax containers behind passenger seat. They just fit there sideways like it was meant to be.

They will both fit in standard bumper mounted Jerry canholders too. water is funny, I don’t want to ever worry about funk developing in a built in unit. So easy to move the rotopax around, fill, pour, etc. built tanks ad complexity not worth the luxury IMO.

spikemd

Explorer
When I swapped my 5 seater rear for 3rd row seats we literally had to renive everything from the front seats back. Floor, carpet, sides, upper pillars, everything ia different. And my 5 seater doesn't have the 3rd row a/c so kids get a bit toasty in 100 deg weather. You gain some space underneath but if u just remove the seats the carpet wont be complete but just build in what u want. LR3 is a gray truck but coming on 160k miles we r looking for an upgrade....

krick3tt

Adventurer
I installed the Front Runner drawers and use the space under (where third row seats were) for storage of many things. My extra water is in water bricks (two at 3.5 gal each) behind the front seats on the floor in front of the second row seats. Wanted to use the FR water tank that would go there but you cannot lower the second row seats with it there.
I have storage on (above) both of the second seats using boxes I made that also create a sleeping platform, with my ARB fridge in the center bolted to the floor. The boxes are covered with fabric to match the FR drawer covers now. I have a Tactical 4X rear bumper with a swing away tire carrier and used the space that used to house the spare to carry two five gallon Nato cans for extra fuel, keeps weight low.

Attachments

• DSC04872.JPG
    DSC04872.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 191
Agreed! i like the FR floor tank that goes in front of the 2nd row seats, unfortunately that is not going to work with my current fridge and console set up. Plus, from the appearance, the seats must remain up and not fully folded down and forward in the floor for that to work and I think @krick3tt just confirmed that as well.

On that note, there is a possibility to stuff the 10gal or 13gal FR floor or slim tank behind the seats/fridge between there and a drawer system. Both would be great options for forward mounting internal water solutions. The slim would fit, but I do not think the 13gal will with my fridge installed.

Under my drawer and sleeping platform, I will have storage use in that area where the 3rd row seats used to be as @Jwestpro is discussing. I am designing it to have a gap under the drawer system where I am able to reach under there when the drawer is pulled all the way out via an access door through the platform. Only rarely needed items will be stuffed way under there since the tailgate will have to be down to access that area.

perkj

Explorer
I have a Tactical 4X rear bumper with a swing away tire carrier and used the space that used to house the spare to carry two five gallon Nato cans for extra fuel, keeps weight low.

@krick3tt How did you mount the nato cans where the tire used to be? Can you post some pictures?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz