LR4 tires for 19"

spikemd

Explorer
My buddy put the BFG AT KO2s on his RR Sport on 20 inch rims and they performed well in Moab. I think he is running 275/55 r20s and they are snow rated. He has been driving up to Tahoe this winter in tons of snow without issues.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
There is an Italian company (or are they German? Can't figure it out) selling an 8.5 x 18" wheel that - they claim - is fully compatible with the Disco/LR4 brakes, without mods:

http://www.mudtech4x4.com/cerchi-raid/?lang=en

Kinda-sorta looks like the 10-spoke design of the 18" LR3 OEM wheels. I also like the fact they are 8.5" wide, should allow 285/60R18 tires to "sit" better over the rim than narrower 8" rims such as the Compos PD1881s. Price is not terrible compared to the Compos (mostly thanks to the strong US$ these days), although I have no idea how much they would charge for shipping a set of these from Europe. It'd be interesting to see if anyone has purchased a set yet, it would be nice to get another bolt-on, quality 18" aftermarket rim option for the LR4, other than the Compomotives.

Those look SUPER nice.

voodoojk

Adventurer
Cooper zeon Ltz. Never had a problem with them. Great looking tire and perform great in all conditions. 255/55/19

image.jpg

Lemagus

Coopers are the best you can do for off road for the 19s. Next step is to make the 18" (or even 17") plunge.

aek50

Adventurer
Might as well keep it going. Still not easy finding suitable tires

I put on the Continental TerrainContact A/Ts a last fall in factory size. Been very pleased so far.

Lemagus

The reason I found the thread was that I am in the process of making my ‘12 LR4 more of an ‘adventure’ ride in its post daily driver role and tires are one if the first items to deal with. I had pretty much decided to stay with the 19s and go with the Cooper’s next tire change but then found a set of (5) 18” LR3 wheels locally. So now I am headed down that path with spacers etc... I’ll hold onto to the 19s for now - maybe use them as winter snow tires.

LKLK

The reason I found the thread was that I am in the process of making my ‘12 LR4 more of an ‘adventure’ ride in its post daily driver role and tires are one if the first items to deal with. I had pretty much decided to stay with the 19s and go with the Cooper’s next tire change but then found a set of (5) 18” LR3 wheels locally. So now I am headed down that path with spacers etc... I’ll hold onto to the 19s for now - maybe use them as winter snow tires.

I went the 18" route with rhino lift. Tbh, you're fine with the 19"s. Go with continental. If you want the off-road look, Go with the duratracs. Loss in in mpg is not really worth the small extra bit of ability gained by going with 18"s and spacers.

If you still are hell bent on going with 18"s, get a lift and stay away from spacers. too much strain on the power train and parasitic loss of of hp. Give me a holler if your ever in so-cal.

FYI, better to start a new thread next time. welcome to off-roading world.

Lemagus

Yea, there are plenty of threads around on the 18/19 LR4 choice, particularly on LRWorld and we don’t have to keep this going. Just happened to come across it, didn’t note the date and commented trying to help - bytes are cheap.

Can’t say I agree with you in regard to not going with the 18”s over the 19s tho. I believe there is a lot to be said in terms of the better tire choices and associated sidewall properties with the 18s. Am also not as down on spacers as you but that’s another debate altogether. Also not a real fan of a lift.

A lot of personal preference in all of this. Appreciate the different views. Thx

Howski

I have the 255/60/19 Goodyear Wrangler w/Kevlar on my LR3 and just did a 3k mile trip to Utah with them. Was pleased with their performance off road (250+ miles). ere they as good as the KO2’s on the other LR3? No, but I got through everything it did without issue. I understand their sidewalls are not the strongest and was paying particular attention to tire placement but zero problems. They have great road manners also.

roverpat

Observer
I am running these tires in stock size with my 19 inch wheels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94