lsd on E150 van

daddyrem

New #97
hi everyone,

i'm not sure if this is right forum, i'm new here. I have recently purchased a 2000 mark 3 e150 van that i plan to take on ski trips and trips on rutted out (not extremely gnarly) dirt roads. I want extra traction and am not willing to dump thousands into the Ujoint 4x4 kit. Does anyone have any advice or real world experience with a limited slip differential in snow in a ford econoline van? Is there a certain model of LSD that is preferable for mountainous snowy roads? I already have michelin snow tires.

i know this topic has been brought up before, but i'm asking again.

thanks

stormlover

Adventurer
You need to find out what axle you have but being an E150 it's probably a Dana60 semi-floater. I'm not entirely sure but it's probably 35 spline and you could stick an Eaton Trutrac in there rather than the limited slip from Ford.

Raul

Adventurer
I had a 2000 E150 5.4l that I used in similar fashion for over 10 years. 9.75 rear end. I installed a factory Ford LSD and with decent AT tires did quite well. BFG AT and Cooper AT# were very good and never got any issues. I run Goodyear Fortera one season and they were terrible. LSD was a good addition for me but Tires should be your top priority.

Raul

Adventurer
In my 2000 it was a Ford 9.75" Semi-Floater. It had the "towing package". I think standard was an 8.8"

6door74

I have a factory ford limited slip. Is it worth it to upgrade? I was in Vermont in January and drove through some snow but nothing crazy, fluffy, or fresh. I suspect my use would be similar to the OP