Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Nothing too exciting but I did replace my alternator belts as well as the smog pump and belt. We'll be taking both the Waggy and the Cruiser up to the cabin on Friday. We'll stay for a week and probably get a little wheeling in while we're there.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
My driver's seat belt buckle stopped latching properly. So, I bought a stock replacement one from Team Grand Wagoneer. The belt color is a little off but the buckle is correct. I'll just use the stock plastic cover for the belt portion and, hopefully, no one will notice. I noticed that the belts are held in with large torx fasteners. Does anyone know what size they are?

078en2Yh.jpg

I'm almost positive the seatbelt bolts are T50

How was the shipping time from Team Grand Wagoneer? I've heard horror stories about their waits and customer service.

Confirmed T50. But be careful as they may be seized somewhat. I sound like a broken record on seized bolts, but have had to deal with quite a few. You can access the bolts from underneath, above the tranny and transfercase, if you want to give them a shot of PB Blaster before attempting to remove them. Using an impact helps as well, but be careful as it might strip out those torx heads.

I went with these guys for replacement belts:
https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/

They have a nice assortment of covers. Although the buckles are different, you can match them pretty well. But getting those old retractors unbolted from the Jeep may be tough. Mine took once again, a lot of PB Blaster and some heat application.

I won't order anything from TGW. Heard enough stories to order from either Ryan at BJ's or find parts at summit etc.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
The Waggy was having an issue where it would start fine when cold but would turn over reeeaaaalllly slow when warm. I guessed it was a bad ground. (In fact, when I changed my positive terminal, you guys told me to change my ground and I was too lazy)

I decided to swap this guy out:

C2o8YvWh.jpg

I made a new cable with 2 gauge I had in the garage, mated to a welding terminal and a universal terminal on the other side.

XVN3sBrh.jpg

nvHQxmlh.jpg

I worked like a charm! The Waggy is starting normally again.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Glad the ground fixed it, but other things to look at are heat soak on an old starter, as well as timing being too advanced.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Glad the ground fixed it, but other things to look at are heat soak on an old starter, as well as timing being too advanced.

That's a good point. I think timing might be a bit too advanced, as I am hearing a little bit of dieseling sound on startup... Is that typical on a FSJ?

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Got the seat belt swapped. I was a little disappointed in the Team Grand Wagoneer belt, especially given the price. The belt and plastic sheath didn't incorporate an opening for the front middle seat belt, so I had to run both out of the same opening. Also, the belt and sheath are slightly shorter than stock. But the biggest annoyance was the fact that the mounting hole was too small. It would fit over the threaded portion of the bolt but not the shoulder.
ekOSAFZh.jpg

Luckily, there was plenty of material to open the hole up and get it to work. I just expected a perfect bolt-on deal, given the price. But, the buckle is perfect and it all looks right with installation complete. So, I am happy.

DLLlWZSh.jpg

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
That's a good point. I think timing might be a bit too advanced, as I am hearing a little bit of dieseling sound on startup... Is that typical on a FSJ?

I'm not sure what a dieseling sound on startup would refer to, sound wise. Dieseling is when you shut the ignition off and the engine continues to fire for a moment or two, and putters out. I'm not sure how that would relate to a start up sound, as you're starting it, not shutting it off. Dieseling tends to be related to your idle being too high when you kill the ignition.

Its hard to know exactly where to set your timing, most folks will tell you advance up to where it begins to ping under load, then back it off a few degrees. I live at 5000' and I have my hooptie timed to about 13* BTDC base timing. But, these days im running timing control so it does its own thing.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'm not sure what a dieseling sound on startup would refer to, sound wise. Dieseling is when you shut the ignition off and the engine continues to fire for a moment or two, and putters out. I'm not sure how that would relate to a start up sound, as you're starting it, not shutting it off. Dieseling tends to be related to your idle being too high when you kill the ignition.

Its hard to know exactly where to set your timing, most folks will tell you advance up to where it begins to ping under load, then back it off a few degrees. I live at 5000' and I have my hooptie timed to about 13* BTDC base timing. But, these days im running timing control so it does its own thing.

Yeah, bad description on my part... You know the sound when you shut an engine off and it diesels for a second? It sounds like it fires a bit with a knock? The first fire sounds like that occasionally. It's really faint. In fact, once the hood is closed, I can't hear it at all. (which probably means there isn't an issue at all and I'm making my life unnecessarily difficult)

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Yeah, bad description on my part... You know the sound when you shut an engine off and it diesels for a second? It sounds like it fires a bit with a knock? The first fire sounds like that occasionally. It's really faint. In fact, once the hood is closed, I can't hear it at all. (which probably means there isn't an issue at all and I'm making my life unnecessarily difficult)

Lol, I used to pay attention to and react to every "new" sound my jeep made. I got sick and tired of losing sleep and working on it, so now unless something falls off or stops working, I assume its just a 45 year old vehichle being 45 years old.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Fall is at peak here in New England and, for some reason, a Wagoneer just seems right with the fall color.

3NbQbVDh.jpg

ausa0phh.jpg

My wife is due with our second baby in December. She told me she wants to take the Waggy to the hospital so we can say we brought both the kiddos home in the Jeep. I said, sounds like a plan to me. (Then I thought... I should buy a new battery for it... and check where that trans fluid leak is coming from... and get some new tires... and check timing, just in case... and...)

Also, just out of curiosity, which oil filter are you running? I used to run both WIX and Napa Gold filter on the 360, but quickly found out the anti drain back properties on both filters were not good. Most of the oil would drain back to the pan, leaving virtually no oil in the filter for startup. Would cause a couple second knock upon startup as pressure built. Not a fun sound. Switched to an STP filter and no more issues with drain back. I think the AC Delco filters are fine as well. I was bummed as both the WIX and Napa Gold filter are otherwise great filters. But can't have 0 oil in the filter. May not relate to your issue, but probably helpful nonetheless.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Wow, great pictures! I grew up in NE, and think the Wagoneer fits perfect.

It's never really done is it?

Thanks! Yeah, I don't know what it is about the fall, dirt and the waggy. They just work together. And you're right... it will never be done. Just in a constant state of repair!

Also, just out of curiosity, which oil filter are you running? I used to run both WIX and Napa Gold filter on the 360, but quickly found out the anti drain back properties on both filters were not good. Most of the oil would drain back to the pan, leaving virtually no oil in the filter for startup. Would cause a couple second knock upon startup as pressure built. Not a fun sound. Switched to an STP filter and no more issues with drain back. I think the AC Delco filters are fine as well. I was bummed as both the WIX and Napa Gold filter are otherwise great filters. But can't have 0 oil in the filter. May not relate to your issue, but probably helpful nonetheless.
Wow, I've had the same issue with my Wix and Napa Gold filters. I never thought that the startup noise could be related. I think I'll try and STP or AC Delco on my next oil change and see if it helps! Thanks for the tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears