M1010 Ambulance to Expedition Rig

Outback

Explorer
That was just a quick trip for the wife and I. Yesterday I decided to get the campulance registered. So now I am all Legal. The temp plate is on her. Just waiting for my personalized plate to arrive. I think you all will get a kick out of it when it gets here. I will post a pick when the plates arrive. Happy Thanksgiving friends!

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
I picked up some steel stock and a bit of aluminum to build my battery hold down clamps and the rear license plate holder. Nothing fancy. Will have those two little projects done tomorrow. Time for some more Turkey!

dakota123

Adventurer
Really stoked you are putting some work into this thing. Most people stop after awhile and then sell because it just sits around

Outback

Explorer
These trucks do need attention because most of the time a swat team mech or county mech (after bought from an auction) decided to screw around with the 12/24 volts system without knowing anything about them. Im not saying I know all but have had enough of these trucks to know my way around a bit. Mine had the DUVAC system pulled. I was also lucky since it was still in the Military when I purchased it. My plans are to add a 12 Volt alternator to charge my front battery. The 12 volt alternator will replace the upper 28 volt alternator. Ive completed all the mods to do it and just need to swap out the alternator now. I plan on that after Christmas. That will wrap up all I need to do in the engine compartment until I get the Banks Turbo kit. Steel Soldiers Forum is a must for anyone with a CUCV. My mod is based off of the "Plan B" fix a member on there came up with and has worked flawless since. Simple and easy to do.

Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
I finished up my license plate bracket and battery hold down project. Nothing major but needed to be done. While I was at it I pulled the battery trays and repainted them. New brackets cut/drilled and painted up. New AGM Batteries installed and properly secured.20171126_172548.jpg20171126_172550.jpg20171127_101046.jpg20171127_101042.jpg20171127_120822.jpg20171127_120825.jpg20171127_123034.jpgoutput-3.jpg

Attachments

• output-2.jpg
    output-2.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Outback

Explorer
I picked it up at Home Depot of all places. In the metal bin. Its about 1x1 aluminum angle. I cut it to length. Used my band saw and cut the top 45 degree angles then cut it length wise to lob off the angled ears. Left me with a flat piece about 5/16" long on each end which recess in the lips of the sides. Took me all of 2 minutes. I cleaned up the square of edges so it would slide easier down. Found I could hold the aluminum at about 40 Degrees and easily slip it in the lips without having to slide it in from the very top. Its in there tight. I will simply put a rivet in each side once I get my personalized plate.

Outback

Explorer
I spent the last few days working on the electrical system. I replaced the wires that had been chewed on by various critters over the years. I went to the junk yard and cut off some light sockets with there pig tails and simply swapped them out. I soldered the connections and sealed them in liquid electrical tape then covered in shrink tubing. Water tight. I also picked up some new headlights, wiper arms and wipers from NAPA. All of the turn signal bulbs, marker lights and instrument light bulbs have also been replaced. Ive developed a slight fuel leak from my water in fuel sensor removal mod. Nothing serious just a drip now and then. I will fix that when I get back in two weeks. I will be ordering my new alternator and should have it home when I get back. Just about done with the engine compartment.

dakota123

Adventurer
I picked it up at Home Depot of all places. In the metal bin. Its about 1x1 aluminum angle. I cut it to length. Used my band saw and cut the top 45 degree angles then cut it length wise to lob off the angled ears. Left me with a flat piece about 5/16" long on each end which recess in the lips of the sides. Took me all of 2 minutes. I cleaned up the square of edges so it would slide easier down. Found I could hold the aluminum at about 40 Degrees and easily slip it in the lips without having to slide it in from the very top. Its in there tight. I will simply put a rivet in each side once I get my personalized plate.

turned out great I really gotta do that mines held on by one bolt and is a few more hits on rocks from falling off altogether haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke