M1010 Ambulance to Expedition Rig

ExpoMike

Sounds sweet. I am going to do a Vintage Air in my 1010, in the future. Not sure if the A/C glove box will work with the VA system, as they are not setup like a factory A/C. Every one I have seen done in most cars/trucks have to use the one that comes with the VA system.

Definitely post pics up.

Outback

Explorer
Well the cable from Summit Racing was not the correct length. Not sure if the factory stuck the wrong cable in that package or what. The trans shop ordered the same part number (25515599) and it was 36.1". Worked perfectly.

Everything was finished this morning at the trans shop. They went to put the T-Case in 2H and it wouldn't shift. They tried 4H and no go. Then they tried 4Low and it slide in. The problem was it wouldn't come out of 4 low. So under the Campulance they went and disconnected the linkage. They tried by hand and other means to get it out of 4 low. Trans in Neutral wheels choked and nothing, just jammed. I called the company I ordered it from and they wanted to talk to the Trans shop but said if it doesn't work they will send me a new one. Oh well **** happens. I really wanted to hit some trails this weekend with the wife. Maybe next weekend. Will keep you posted.

On another note the drive lines are perfectly lined up and no need to extend or shorten anything. The W Crossmember worked great with the short Trans/Tcase mount. I do not believe the factory crossmember with the tall Trans/Tcase mount will work. Possible with the short mount as I believe the hight would be about the same as with the W mount. The W mount would be more ridged. Except maybe the TCase skid plate won't work. I will take some pics when I get her home. Overall the T case on the W mount the Tcase hangs down right about the same amount as on the TH400/NP208 does. Its just the difference on the cross member design that makes the difference. Also on a 700R4 the Tcase mounts much lower than the Tcase does on the TH400. Also my W mount is sitting on the top of the lower C channel. I used 4 Grade 8 7/16 bolts (4. 2-1/2" and 4. 2" bolts). 16 Grade 8 washers with nylocks and split washers finished the mounting. So the mount is seriously bolted on. One of the factory crossmember holes in the frame sits right next to the holes that needed to be drilled out. So I decided to just have them install 4 bolts on each side as the one next to the original frame hole would not be as solid as the other holes. Again pictures will show this better than I can describe it.

Outback

Explorer
Sounds sweet. I am going to do a Vintage Air in my 1010, in the future. Not sure if the A/C glove box will work with the VA system, as they are not setup like a factory A/C. Every one I have seen done in most cars/trucks have to use the one that comes with the VA system.

Definitely post pics up.
Thanks for that information. I will see.

Outback

Explorer
Well the replacement NP241 will arrive Friday the 10th. My A/C build will have to wait for another 2 to 3 weeks as I have a few events I need to be at.

Outback

Explorer
The Conversion to a 700R4 and NP241 is 98% Bolt in. One of the things though you need is a Shift Cam plate for a Passenger side drop NP241 (1988/1989 only). I could NOT find one BUT I easily made one. I went to the junk yard found a DRIVERS SIDE DROP NP241 ((1990 and up 2500 chevy truck). You need the manual shift NP241. All you need is a 9/16" wrench and 3 minutes. This Shift Cam bolts on the gear selector bolt on the side of the Tcase. The linkage from the Tcase shifter attaches to the shift cam. Its the mirror image of what you need but don't worry its an easy quick fit. Back in the shop I simply held the new shift cam over my NP208 Shift Cam and traced it out clocked the right angle..517282

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The mechanical speedo would be the one I prefer. Can I ask how much your transfer case cost you Mr Outback? I will probably need one for my Yukon at some point. Cheers, Chilli...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles