M1010 Ambulance to Expedition Rig

Outback

Explorer
I have had my Campulance back now for almost two weeks. I live at approx 6500 feet. Thats pretty high for a non turbo diesel. I took it on a trip to Overland Expo up and down some serious grades. On that trip I averaged 10.85 MPG. I was able to sustain speeds of 75 except on steep grades. I was as slow as 50 mph but was very impressed with the new trans. I was stuck in 2wd as there was a problem with the new T-case or so we thought. Turns out the shift lever cam for the Tcase (used the np208 shift cam lever) was clocked wrong and was hitting the T-case and not able to shift into 4 wheel drive. Problem is now fixed and the truck went back into the shop to wrap up the install. Now everything is done and I have been driving her just under two weeks locally at an average of 6500'. My Highway mileage is 14.86 mpg relatively level ground at 55/65 mph. My combined city and highway (approx 75/25). 10.64 MPG. The problem I can see at this altitude is the lack of air getting into the engine. At sea level I was shocked at how much MORE power my M1028 had. I was truly shocked. To maintain speeds of 65 mph and up I need to keep her into the throttle on any slight incline. This would not be the case at lower altitudes. So in those cases you would see even a greater MPG gain. I suspect adding a turbo will greatly increase my mileage.

AROUND TOWN: The new 700R4 is amazing around town! I can actually pull ahead of traffic from a red light! You won't win any races but the deeper first gear of 3.06 really helps get my 6,000 lbs plus Ambulance rolling. Its a whole new vehicle. The driving character of the vehicle has completely changed for the better.

CRUISING THE HIGHWAYS: As I said before at this altitude on any incline I need to slightly keep the throttle up a bit. At lower altitudes I know this would not be the case. Remember this is a Ambulance. With a M1009 or M1028 M1008 I suspect You would not have this issue. Steep grades still present a problem but not like before. Its still much better than stock. A Turbo would solve all of these problems.

OFF ROAD: Well I was pretty impressed with the stock set up. Now that I have a lower 1st gear and a Lower Low Range she is even better. In fact it is much better than I expected. The NP241 does indeed shift much much smoother than stock NP208. Its a very nice combo to have.

PARTING THOUGHTS: At lower altitudes this would be an exceptional Trans and T-Case combo. If you live at altitude then I would highly recommend Installing a Banks or other Turbo system. For me it is a must. On smaller lighter vehicle like the M1009 then I suspect it wouldn't be as big an issue as it is with my heavy Campulance. Would I do it again? Yes I would. The increased drivability of the truck is HUGE or as my favorite President would say "YUGE"! At the end of the day it brings your 80s Truck a few steps closer to modern day highway speeds. If I want I can cruise 75 mph and up and pass people as needed. I could only dream of that before. (I am still running my 4.56 axle diffs)

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I am glad to hear your truck is up and running to specs that you like Mr Outback. It would be cool to see some pics of your new set-up. Keep up the good work. Cheers, Chilli...?

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Great work on the CUCV! The addition of the OD really makes those trucks much more roadworthy with the gearing they have.

I've got a buddy with a complete Banks setup with about 1000 miles on it that's switching to a big block in his burb. Hit me up if you really want to put a turbo on it.

TLC Norway

Great work, cool rig! Did you get any more into the turbo setup?

Also, how do you like the Toyo MT in 255?
I'm looking at that tire for my Cruiser.

Cheers from Norway

Outback

Explorer
Great work on the CUCV! The addition of the OD really makes those trucks much more roadworthy with the gearing they have.

I've got a buddy with a complete Banks setup with about 1000 miles on it that's switching to a big block in his burb. Hit me up if you really want to put a turbo on it.
PM sent. A bit late but sent...... Thanks. Nothing further on the Turbo. I deployed (non Military) and have been very busy at work up until They had to let us all go do to no more funding from the NSF. Oh well ******** happens.

Outback

Explorer
Great work, cool rig! Did you get any more into the turbo setup?

Also, how do you like the Toyo MT in 255?
I'm looking at that tire for my Cruiser.

Cheers from Norway
I love the TOYOs for sure. Excellent traction in all media. Thank you for the compliments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94