M101a2 Overland Trailer Build

TTS

I started this thread over at TacomaWord but thought I might get some good feedback here as well.

Over the summer (and likely next summer) I am going to be working on turning the M101a2 surplus trailer I purchased into an Overlanding/camping/utility trailer.

I'd like to end up with a trailer that has a RTT, water storage, and a pull-out kitchen.

I am hoping this can be a family project to teach my kids some basic skills and for me to get back into welding.

All journeys start with a single step and all good threads start with some pics.

April 15th Update:

I started working on coating the bed of the trailer. As this is a budget build, I went with a DIY solution rather than LineX.

Started the prep by removing the old tie down hooks, reflectors, and tailgate. The tailgate was a pain in the a** because the cotter pins were not coming out. Since this is a military trailer, I used a military solution and got a bigger hammer. A couple of whacks on the hinge pins sheared off the cotter pins and the hinge pins came right out.

I started to spray the tailgate with Rust-Oleum rust reformer but the rain quickly ended that.

With prep complete and the sun going down I packed it in for the night.

I woke up early this morning to get started as we have one of our family easter celebrations today.

I opened the gallon can of Duplicolor Bed Armor, the kevlar particulate was heavily clumped and I resorted to using a power mixer on my drill. After about 5 min of mixing, it was well distributed.

I don't have any pictures of the process, as my gloved hands were covered in bed liner, but I can tell you that the roller that comes with the kit sucks! The small screw that keeps the handle and roller attached quickly broke and made using the roller vert difficult. I resorted to brushing on the bed liner and using the roller to evenly distribute the kevlar media.

I don't yet know if I regret not going with the Rust-Oleum brand bed liner but time will tell.

Here is the first coat, I will likely try using some of the same brand bed liner in aerosol form to reduce the texture.

The obligitory Taco pic:

Did a little more painting this weekend.

I painted the center panels a gray and used Rustoleum bed liner for the front, top and fenders. Now I just have a little overspray to clean up. I wanted to get this done in preparation for a tonneau cover I ordered last week.

After ordering a tonneau cover that didn't fit (for a Dodge Ram) I found one that worked.

TruXedo 238601 TruXport Soft Roll-Up Dual Latch Tonneau Cover

I am happy with the fit and finish. Now, on to finding a tongue box suitable for batteries and power management.

Anyone now of a good place to look for a water tank I can mount under the trailer?

dstock

Explorer
Great start, looking good!

I'm still investigating the water tank myself, I think I am going to go with getting a plastic one made to fit the space above the axle. I have yet to find a pre-made one in the right size.

Martyinco

Adventurer
Lots of places to get a plastic water tank, assuming you need one of the premade sizes that they have, or you can pay extra for them to make you one specific to your size. I am going to end up getting one made custom for my application, far to hard to get one for my space needs.

Great looking start! Should be a great build.

TTS

Great start, looking good!

I'm still investigating the water tank myself, I think I am going to go with getting a plastic one made to fit the space above the axle. I have yet to find a pre-made one in the right size.

Thanks, I have actually been using your build thread and shack's for much of my inspiration.

TTS

Lots of places to get a plastic water tank, assuming you need one of the premade sizes that they have, or you can pay extra for them to make you one specific to your size. I am going to end up getting one made custom for my application, far to hard to get one for my space needs.

Great looking start! Should be a great build.

Thanks, I wish I had half your welding skill, it would make this whole project much easier.

TTS

Looks good. Gutsy move doing all that painting first.

I agree and may regret it! My hope is that the RTT rack will be built from aluminum and bolted to the trailer rather than welding a steel rack.

At this point the paint is really just to make it less of an eye sore for the neighbors. If I see that we like the trailer and RTT for camping, Ill strip the whole thing down and LineX it in a year or two.

Martyinco

Adventurer
I want one that telescopes at the campsite. I am planning on using some linear actuators to lift the rack.

Good prices here dynation.com/Linear-Actuators/Windy-Nation/Linear-Actuators-various-stroke-lengths/-/244?p=YzE9Mjg=

Thats where I bought mine, 225 lbs capacity each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles