M101CDN leaf spring options.

Jay S.

Observer
I just bought an M101CDN and the leaf springs are rusted waaaaaaaay beyond use. Is there a direct replacement that I can buy or could I use springs off a Jeep Wrangler YJ for example...

Willman

A local trailer shop should be able to hook ya up.......You can get a pair for less than $30 if you look hard ether on line or local......

Got any pictures of the springs?

How old is your trailer?

Welcome to the ExPo!

:)

Jay S.

Observer
Desertdude said:
I see your post on the M101 yahoo list - that should get you some info.

The springs are that bad?

YES!!!!!!!! The springs are that bad. It looks like they were way overoladed at one time too. So much heavy rust that one of the spring clip bolts rusted in half.

I'll get some pictures soon...

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Too bad - from laying in the weeds no doubt...

I have abused my second trailer springs (40 sacks of quikcrete 80 lbs) - they now have lost most of their arch - I continue to abuse them for now...

Willman

Desertdude said:
I have abused my second trailer springs (40 sacks of quikcrete 80 lbs) - they now have lost most of their arch - I continue to abuse them for now...

I was just thinking about that when this thread came up!

:shakin:

Mitchss

Observer
Mine appeared to be that bad too. They didn't look like they would make the few miles needed to get home. They may really not be as bad as you think. Take one off and start grinding it clean. These springs are beefy and I would be suprised if they weren't salvageable. Mine totally were despite their horrendous looking state. With a lot of elbow grease, I was able to knock off and grind down to perfect metal. They looked like new. I also had to replace several clip bolts which were rusted completely through. In fact, I replaced all of the bolts with new grade 8's.

I tried repeatedly to find replacements, to no avail. They are a very odd size/configuration which no local spring shops had. I was told a custom set or conversion to a more common trailer spring set up was my only option. Very pricey. That was the reason I started trying to clean mine up. Glad I did! Now if yours are totally shot from overloading, that might be the deal breaker.

Jay S.

Observer
I've found springs that are the right length (30" eye-to-eye) but I'm guessing the width will not be correct...since you say it's nearly impossible to find.

Thanks for the encouragement but the springs are going in the trash before it hits the road! There might be enough metal in all 18 leaves to make 3½ paper clips! And I'm not talking about the jumbo ones I mean the standard size paper clips.

cowboy4x4

Explorer
depending on your skills you can put any type of spring on you like.
example if your springs are 30" eye to eye and you found a pair say 35" eye to eye move the perch ,all trailer shops sell perches u bolts,hangers cheap.
I can get custom u bolts here in ca for $10.00 ea or less. If your welding skills are not up to snuff buy all your goodies and take it to a fab shop. It is isnt brain surgery so a shop should not charge you more than one day. The most important thing to get correct is the alignment.Go beef go big go wide u can make it work........IMO ,:safari-rig:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
UK4X4 said:
Adventure trailers have a sweet airbag system retrofit kit too........

at this point for the M416 - rumor has it they are working on one for the M101 which has a different frame system.

Jay S.

Observer
UK4X4 said:
Adventure trailers have a sweet airbag system retrofit kit too........

Uhhhhh, a little out of my budget.....but a sweet addition no doubt!

Thanks for all the replies!! I've found some springs that are 1¾" wide, which I think may just be fine.

Jay S.

Observer
How about these????

30" Double Eye Trailer Leaf Spring (3 leaves)

1-3/4" Wide Springs constructed with heavy duty spring steel. Leaf springs sold as each.
Measure double eye springs from center of eye to center of other eye. Each double eye spring includes 9/16" I.D. nylon bushings in each eye.

Spring Type: Double Eye
Free Length: 30"
Capacity (each): 1250 lbs.
Number of Leaves: 3
Gauge Steel: .360
I.D. Bushing: 9/16"

Would they work correctly?

Jay S.

Observer
OOOPS!! Those 30" springs are 6" too short!!!

So, I'm going to try a set of front Suzuki Samurai springs and see if I can make them fit....

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Desertdude said:
at this point for the M416 - rumor has it they are working on one for the M101 which has a different frame system.

We have looked at a 101 and the kit is very do-able. The difference between the 416 and the 101, that effects the kit, is that the tongue on the 416 is at the same level as the chassis and the 101 has the tongue attaching under the chassis.

The main beam for the trailing arm would have to be welded/bolted to the bottom of the tongue. On the outside spacers would have to be fabricated and welded to the main beam to take up the gap created by the lower tongue. Then the outside brackets would have to be welded/bolted to the chassis.

So the 101 is more complicated to do the retro fit, and yes it will be more expensive than the 416.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94