M1078 LMTV expedition vehicle build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Saw the white hatchback car at Expo West with the "For Sale" listing for the LMTV in the back window. Changing your mind?
Jack

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Saw the white hatchback car at Expo West with the "For Sale" listing for the LMTV in the back window. Changing your mind?
Jack

Hi Jack,
That was us at Expo West. It's been a really hard decision for us, but after much discussion we have decided to sell our awesome LMTV. We still want to travel more, but we have decided that purchasing a smaller vehicle might be best for us.

The truck is super clean and really awesome, so we are sad to see it go. It only has 18,030 miles on it, it's currently titled and registered in California, and it runs and drives well. It's going to make a great expedition vehicle. We put so much work into it. It's going to save the next owner a ton of time.

Anyone interested in the truck, send me a private message.

Michael
current-configuration.jpg

Last edited:

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Michael,

Sorry to hear you're having to change directions. As someone with MS I can certainly understand issues arising from medical problems. The reason I purchased my LMTV was that I could no longer drive my M35A2 very far due to steering, standard transmission, and heavy brakes. The M1078 was a blessing in that it let me stay in the MV hobby. However, even with that, my overlanding is in a Nissan Titan Pro 4X. Easier to drive, park, and the AC works better. Good luck with the sale. As beautiful as that truck is you should find a buyer quickly.

http://overlandroad.life/

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hi Jack,
That was us at Expo West. It's been a really hard decision for us, but after much discussion we have decided to sell our awesome LMTV. We still want to travel more, but I have been having health issues over the last year, so we have decided that purchasing a smaller vehicle might be best for us.

The truck is super clean and really awesome, so we are sad to see it go. It only has 18,030 miles on it, it's currently titled and registered in California, and it runs and drives well. It's going to make a great expedition vehicle. We put so much work into it. It's going to save the next owner a ton of time.

Anyone interested in the truck, send me a private message.

Michael
View attachment 400810

Sorry to hear about the health problems and your having to sell. And you are right in that you have put a ton of work into it. Whoever buys it, is getting a great truck. GLWS.
Jack

Ramdough

Adventurer
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully things resolve and you can start up the hobby again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmljohnson

Observer
Love the build....I’m doing something similar with a S&S m1088 semi, been watching your build I do love the quality of work you put into it...

ksrimoungchanh

My understanding is that it's NOT true. It is true that you can not sell it to a non-US resident.

www.DirtTrackTravelers.com

I am trying to verify this also. I do know each military vehicle goes through a DLA Disposition classification. I have found 2 FMTV both same models M1088A1, but one has Demilitarization CODE A, and one has CODE Q. See info from this site to decipher https://www.govplanet.com/pop/help_demil_codes.jsp or the full codes from http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/DispositionServices/RTD/DISP_DemilCodes_150820.docx

I happen to have a Q but if I cannot take through Alaska via Canada, this might be a sucker deal to build on and will have to get the Code A. When I did purchase it, I did get a letter from the Department of Commerce confirming the Code and my responsibility. So I want to make sure, for sure.. Any input or others that have taking a classification Q outside the US? All it says is "Mutilation to the point of scrap required outside the United States."

I guess the best way is to write Department of Commerce?

Thank you

Britboaters

Observer
Wouldn't the "mutilation thing" apply for export. Surely if the vehicle was correctly tagged and registered in the US, you could take it on a trip just like any other vehicle ?
How would the Canadian authorities, for example, know the difference ?
Maybe I'm missing something.
Bob

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I happen to have a Q but if I cannot take through Alaska via Canada, this might be a sucker deal to build on and will have to get the Code A. When I did purchase it, I did get a letter from the Department of Commerce confirming the Code and my responsibility. So I want to make sure, for sure.. Any input or others that have taking a classification Q outside the US? All it says is "Mutilation to the point of scrap required outside the United States."

The demil codes are in reference to sale of the item not it's usage. When you purchased the truck you had to get an EUC which stated the vehicle cannot be SOLD outside the US or to a non-US citizen. You can still use it anywhere you want or anywhere that will let you but like Britboaters said they can't tell by your license plate what type of demil code you have. For that matter you can sell it to whomever you want and take the chance DLA will never come looking to verify. I've owned over 20 MVs purchased through GovPlanet and GovLiquidation before them (as well as GSA) and have never been contacted once I picked the vehicle up.

DzlToy

Explorer
Or you can do what hundreds of thousands of people do every year, all around the world and place the vehicle in to an LLC, Trust, LLP, Foundation or any number of other entities so that YOUR NAME is not tied to it for liability, insurance, accidents, etc. Use any address that you want and it is just as easy for the non-U.S. Citizen to create an LLC as it is for anyone else to do so.

If you wish to "sell" the vehicle, DON'T. Amend the Articles of Organisation to reflect a new manager or board member. The ownership and/or mgmt of the LLC changes hands, but the vehicle is still owned and operated by the LLC, not by you.

ksrimoungchanh

The demil codes are in reference to sale of the item not it's usage. When you purchased the truck you had to get an EUC which stated the vehicle cannot be SOLD outside the US or to a non-US citizen. You can still use it anywhere you want or anywhere that will let you but like Britboaters said they can't tell by your license plate what type of demil code you have. For that matter you can sell it to whomever you want and take the chance DLA will never come looking to verify. I've owned over 20 MVs purchased through GovPlanet and GovLiquidation before them (as well as GSA) and have never been contacted once I picked the vehicle up.

That is good to know.. thank you and the build it on..:) . appreciate the clarification.

@ DzlToy: Interesting game plan.. I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles