M109 Camper Completed

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
Awhile back I posted the build of this camper, he was like half-way through I believe. Well, now he's done, so I figured you guys would like to see it fully completed. Looks rockin' and ready to roll.
http://www.militarytrucks.ca/rv_project.htm

...Now I want to trade our Duece and a half for a shop van...

Note: This is NOT my vehicle. I'm just posting the build up from another forums so you guys can see the build.

Last edited:

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
I have often wondered what sort of camper/adventure vehicle possibilities existed with these military trucks - thanks for posting the link. I like the final result :)

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
IMO, the only three main drawbacks to using Deuce-and-a-half's as a expedition vehicle are:
1. Low road speed. The 2 1/2 tons have a MAX speed of 55 in the M35A2 config. If you take and swap them to super-singles, the speed can increase to about 60 mph.
2. Bad fuel mileage. The multi-fuel engines can be used to "evade" this problem a bit by running lower quality fuels are by mixing in a little cheaper "fuels" like some gasoline, alcohol, etc...
3. NO creature comforts. These trucks are LOUD. You could dyna-mat it to make it quieter. The M35A3 type trucks are better. They already have super-singles, an Allison Automatic, better engine, quieter, CTIS.
Besides these things (and they can be worked around), these trucks can be alot of fun.

telwyn

Adventurer
Wow - great build! Thanks for posting this. I dream of doing this with a Land Rover Series II or III Ambulance.

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
Adventureduo: This isn't my build, it's one I've been watching. I'd love to do something like that to the duece and a half I own, but time and money, plus it's usefulness as a flatbed, prevent that for now.

SGNellett

Adventurer
That thing is awesome! I love all the comments about the zombie apocalypse! Very simple, effective interior, I'm guessing he doesn't plan on seeing much highway with this beast!

Outback

Explorer
Add some Super single rims with 40" Michelin XL tire or some IROK Super Swampers. For the noise I guess you could dynamatt. There are several types of sound deadoning materials available now. But the "coolest" way to kill road noise is to install some internal headsets. They can be piped into the sound system and be voice activated to shut off the sterio when someone starts to talk. Install some ARB airlockers and you have one capable rig!

RgrBox

Adventurer
Wow.. you made a great job out of such a rough truck.. never imagined that someone would have used one of those for that.. great job..

armyrv

Observer
Thanks for the comments. It is a great truck.

It is a fun project and I work on it most every week. For as you all know, there is a list a mile long of little things I still need/want to do.

I have camped with it twice so far and both experiences were excellent. The biggest problem I had was trying to get some piece and quiet due to all the people who come "to see the big green army truck".

IMO, the only three main drawbacks to using Deuce-and-a-half's as a expedition vehicle are:
1. Low road speed. The 2 1/2 tons have a MAX speed of 55 in the M35A2 config. If you take and swap them to super-singles, the speed can increase to about 60 mph.

True, but the trip is half the adventure. Why do you really need to go much faster? This is a heavy duty big truck that's geared low to go pretty much where ever you need to go.

2. Bad fuel mileage. The multi-fuel engines can be used to "evade" this problem a bit by running lower quality fuels are by mixing in a little cheaper "fuels" like some gasoline, alcohol, etc...

Its a old (1970), big truck. It fuel mileage is a problem with you, then you will either have to go with a smaller vehicle, or buy a brand new big truck ($$$$$$$).

I would never run anything but clear diesel in my truck. Running anything else is not as good for the engine as things like gasoline don't lubricate the fuel injectors. Dumping used oil just helps gum up the system and the money that you could have used to buy diesel is spent on new fuel filters every month or so.

3. NO creature comforts. These trucks are LOUD. You could dyna-mat it to make it quieter. The M35A3 type trucks are better. They already have super-singles, an Allison Automatic, better engine, quieter, CTIS.
Besides these things (and they can be worked around), these trucks can be alot of fun.

Creature comforts are in the eye of the user. I find it comfortable to drive and have added several mods to the truck to make it even more comfortable. Yes the truck is loud, but that's how they made it. I have installed a muffler on the exhaust which has reduced the noise by about 2/3rds. Others have installed noise dampening insulation around the cab which helps reduce it further.

The Canadian versions of the trucks (MLVW's) run with detroil desiel engines and allison automatic transmissions, which make the truck quieter and easier to drive. Moving the rv/camper box onto an MLVW truck/chassis is always an option in the future.

Though I like the "noise" of the turbo charger. Nothing can beat putting your foot down and hearing the sound of that big turbo kick in.

That thing is awesome! I love all the comments about the zombie apocalypse! Very simple, effective interior, I'm guessing he doesn't plan on seeing much highway with this beast!

Well someone has to be ready for the when the zombies take over. If you are prepared for the zombie apocalypse, you are ready for practically anything!

Why would you say that about highway use? The truck drives just fine on the highway. I think some people are just a little bit too spoiled when it comes to driving around in their AC cooled, leather lined, AM/FM/CD surround sound stereo system wired vehicles. If our men and women in uniform can spend hours on end driving these trucks every day, then it can't be that bad.

Lots of pictures of the truck on the website if anyone is interested: http://www.militarytrucks.ca/rv_project.htm

Last edited:

SGNellett

Adventurer
Well someone has to be ready for the when the zombies take over. If you are prepared for the zombie apocalypse, you are ready for practically anything!

Why would you say that about highway use? The truck drives just fine on the highway. I think some people are just a little bit too spoiled when it comes to driving around in their AC cooled, leather lined, AM/FM/CD surround sound stereo system wired vehicles. If our men and women in uniform can spend hours on end driving these trucks every day, then it can't be that bad.

My comment about the highway was more geared to the idea that this is a truck that doesn't appear destined for long, droning, cross country interstate driving, rather, surface streets or overland, taking in the scenery, etc..

BTW, when the Zombies hit, swing thru Ohio on your way south, I'll try to follow you south!

jesusgatos

Explorer
...Now I want to trade our Duece and a half for a shop van...
Just buy a M109 box and slap it on your truck!

I'm in the middle of an M109 conversion project right now. I'm building the vehicle to live in/out of full-time for the next few years, and just finished building a matching trailer to haul my dirt bikes and tools and junk.

M353_trailer_02.jpg

I'm in the middle of a 'short' 1,500-mile road-trip in mah deuce right now and I'm doing alright with the 55mph speed limit, but I'm picking up a set of 13 new 11.00R20 radials (very similar to the tires on the vehicle in the 1st post), which are about 43" in diameter (as opposed to the stock 40" tall 9.00R20's) and those new tires should be good for a few more mph.
Gotta disagree on this point. I think 'good/bad fuel economy is a relative term, and on this trip I've been averaging 8-10mpg in a 16,000lb truck pulling a 4,000lb trailer at 55mph through some decent mountain passes and changes in elevation. I'm setting up a centrifuge system and fuel tanks in the trailer so I can process oils and other types of fuel.

This is very subjective. Mah deuce is already as civilized as most of my old Jeeps and off-road trucks. The little bit of work I've done has made a world of improvement in that department though. I've got a Red Dot AC system and some other really cool stuff coming that will make it even more comfortable. Oh, and CTIS was a disaster on these Rockwell axles. Definitely NOT something I'd want to deal with on a rig like this.

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
Jesusgatos:
I'd love to put a 109 box on our M35A2, but the truck's real owner (My dad) isn't 100% for it. And if I was gonna do that, I'd probably do it on a A3 and deal with the CTIS. Nice trailer BTW.

Armyrv: Good to see you on the site. Welcome aboard!
Now, I'd like to make statements on my prior statements. The multi-fuel engines CAN be run on diesel plus "additives", but like you say, they can harm the engine and extreme care must be taken if one wanted to do such things. The mileage isn't that bad considering the vehicle size and weight.

I've never considered 55 horribly slow, but were I live, any good places to take a camper like at are 3 hours by highway in car. But excellent point about the journey being most of the trip.

One question, how hard is it to find the roof rack anyways, I've never seen one for sale?

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Awesome Build

ArmyRV, I love your build. That thing is just too cool for words. If Mad Max had an RV, it would be your truck for certain. Love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles