M1101 Advice

dj311

I've been looking at M1101s to pull behind my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. A few questions for those who are more familiar with M1101s:

- how much does the age of the trailer matter? Should I pay a premium for a 2011 or 2013 vs several years older?

- are there any pros/cons of Schutt vs Silver Eagle models, or are they essentially identical with same reliability and build quality?

- what is a reasonable price to pay for a 2009+?

- would anyone like to convince me that a much older m101 or m416 is a better way to go? I will use for some off-roading (through creeks, light to moderate mountain terrain) but want it to be manageable enough to do quick runs to Home Depot or store for materials or equipment, and also haul my Swisher 44" buchcutter mower.

Thanks!

davis31052

Adventurer
The M1101 trailers, regardless of the manufacturer, are built to the same US Army Military Specification (MIL-SPEC). As result, there should be no difference in the trailer other than the mfg name on the data plate.

Regarding price, I regularly see them go for as little as $500 at the local DRMO here at Robins AFB, Georgia. On the private market, add another $500 to that as a minimum. Personally, I think it might be a bit much for a jeep.

Just my $.02 though.

cyclic

Adventurer
With a Jeep I recommend you swap the mil tires for regular ones. Big drop in trailer weight and height, and no loss of carrying capacity.

RagnarD

Adventurer
I think the 1994 contract trailers had some issues. Main one being the aluminum draw bar. Some had MWOs. Can google for more info. I can post pics of the MWO tags later. 2004 trailers were all good.

Dates etc could be off and might be some stuff in between. Just basing off memory, don't have my notes handy. IMO, an 1101/1102 is too much trailer for a jeep.

Last edited:

Saharafire

I've got a 2010. Payed 1000 for it in almost new condition. I pull it with a Ram 2500. I think it would be a pretty good load for a jk to haul. Especially if it is a 3.8 jk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne