M1102 expedition trailer build

sgthawk

Adventurer
I purchased my M1102 trailer last year but didn't do much to it except remove the soft top and brackets. After looking around on the net for ideas I have started the process on modifying the trailer. My goal is to have a base trailer with a roof tent, spare tire carrier, battery power and a place to store jerry cans, water cans, propane tanks and an air conditioner and maybe a generator.

sgthawk

Adventurer
Picture of my trailer and hummve communication shelter I purchased off of Govliquidation. The topper is heavy duty fiberglass and all three side have lift up doors and locks. The front end of the topper is open so I am planing on building a flat panel for it. The issue I have is that the M1102 is approx 2 in winder than a hummve so I am going to have to build a lip all around the trailer so that the topper can sit on and secure to. In addition the topped is 6 in shorter than the trailer. My plan is to use the gap area to carry my jerry cans, water cans and AC unit.

image.jpg

Last edited:

sgthawk

Adventurer
Here is a picture of how the bumper will be mounted to the trailered. Credit for this set up goes to Jim Dow over on SS.

.image.jpg

Last edited:

sgthawk

Adventurer
picture of the bumper, mounts and tire swing carrier all purchased on ebay.

image.jpg

Last edited:

sgthawk

Adventurer
In Order to bolt the bumper to the drop down pintle mounts I had to have two 1/2 steel plates made. I could of welded the mounts to the bumper but what if I ever changed my mind or needed to remove the bumper for any reason.

Templets for 1/2 steel plates. These should be ready by next week for pickup. If your in the Dallas or Ft Worth area call discount steel out in Saginaw TX. They are great to work with.

View attachment 277448

View attachment 277449

sgthawk

Adventurer
as for a roof top tent I'm leaning towards the Gran Sabana in tan and a side awning. My plan is to either paint the entire trailer black or keep the topper tan and just paint the trailer tan. I'm still in the early stages of planing so ill wing it as I move along.

Last edited:

sgthawk

Adventurer
The trailer has four tie points that are almost 2" but not quite. In order for the pintle mount receivers to fit I had to grind them down with a hand grinder which took approx 15 min per receiver. After I girded them down I shot them with spray paint, let them dry then inserted then into the trailer receivers.

image.jpg

sgthawk

Adventurer
Great score today at tractor supply. I went in poking for welding tip and walked out with a rack set for an ATV for $45 normally $200. I am going to use the smaller cage for my top carrier to hold an Ac unit

image.jpg

sgthawk

Adventurer
Make sure to add weight to the front of the trailer and do not take it out on the road until you do so. To little toung weight can cause you to have a close call on meeting god.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz