M1102 potential build W/ Jeep JK 2dr

Biscuit1980

Hello,

I have been lurking for a few weeks since I decided I wanted to build an expedition trailer to tow behind my 09' JK X and I have a few questions I was hoping I could get some feedback on.

My first thought was to build or have built something like this for the frame.this for the frame. I have access to welders and friends experienced with welding. The more I thought about the more sense it made to save some time and possible headache and just buy a used M101A2. However, there are none for sale in my area, Arizona, at this time and the ones I can find $1600.00 seems to be the going price. It seems people are paying a premium for the M101 trailers.

In my searching for a suitable project trailer on craigslist and government auction sites and I found a few M1102 trailers at an up coming auction nearby. I realize these are bigger than the M101 but the opening price is $300.00 or 1/5th the price of an M101. I realize the price will probably go up during the auction and that leads me to my first question. How much do good M1102 trailers usually sell for?

Other than size what are the trade-offs, good and bad, between the M1102 and the M101?

Is the M1102 too much for my X? It's rated at 3500lb tow capacity and the M1102 are ~1500lb but I understand a lot of that is in the run flat tires and military wheels. I would want to switch it to the same tires and wheels I run on the X so I only need one spare. Even if I kept it the same will the M1102 be easy to tow long distance? Highway speeds?

The surge brakes! Not familiar with these and will do some google searching to learn more but from what I have read on other M1102 build threads here people seem to be ditching these. I was also thinking of getting rid of the axle all together and doing an independent set up on each side like I have seen on some of the manufactured AT websites. Thoughts?

I'll post a link to the auction at the bottom but what would I need by way of a hitch to get one of these home? I do not have any hitch on the jeep as of right now.

Finally have any of you ever bid on one of these military auction pages? Seems pretty straight forward but any tips or advice appreciated.

Here is the auction

Thanks everyone!

Texas TT

I have pulled both an M101 and M1102 with my FJ.

M101 pulls a bit better. The height was right on and it tracked well with the tow vehicle.

The M1102 is wider than the tow vehicle. You would most likely have to adjust the trailer height somehow as the 1101/1102s are tall trailers. I swapped out the tires on mine, but you can also modify where the axle sits. Even with a riser hitch the trailer will most likely be tilted down in stock form.

I mainly use the 1102 to haul cargo & I think it works good for that. I probably would not want to pull it offroad in tight areas though.

I think I paid around $700 for mine at auction. Another $150 or so on taxes/registration. Swapping out the tires was free as the set I put on cost about the same as the military ones I sold off.

RagnarD

Adventurer
The 1101/1102 series are great trailers if you want to use them pretty much as is, with a wheel (8 lug) and tire swap. You can lower them a few more inches by making a shorter axle spacer but that is about it. Tongue modifications can be done but are not as easy as on the 101 series. If you have a lifted vehicle on larger tires, you can get it to set level without a super tall riser on the vehicle side.

Unless you replace the axle with another that has hydraulic brakes you will run into some issues with the coupler. With no brakes or electric, you would probably want to modify the tongue/coupler to loose the surge brake actuator so you are not hauling around all of the useless weight/bulk.

The 1101/1102/101A3 all have the same track width and overall width. The tubs on The 1101/1102 are a foot shorter than the 101. The 101A2 is slightly lighter and a foot or so narrower.

The trailer you linked is a 1994 contract build and should have three MWO's (recall repairs) done to it. From the pictures, I only saw one MWO tag above the data plate on front of tub (picture 9). There could be more and they just did not take pics or there could be multiple stamps on a single tag. The main MWO you want done is the replacement of the center draw bar to steel (from Al). Easy to check with a magnet or if they show pictures of the MWO tags. Trailer does appear to be in good shape and visually looks like the draw bar is steel.

The surge brakes on the 1102s are much better than on the 101A2/A3. If they work, I would keep them. Many people loose the surge brakes on the 101s because they dont work and parts are not always easy to get, or they want to do an axle swap.

You will have issues getting jeep wheels on the 1102 (without changing the axle). No one will make an adapter from 8 lug to 5 or 6 lug and the jeeps wheels would stick out even further than the hummer wheels.

The base trailer is the cheap part of an expo trailer. I would make sure to start with a platform you are happy with.

Also, I would not want to play the max GVWR game/be so close when getting loaded for a trip. You may be better off looking at trailers in the M416 size range.

Last edited:

Biscuit1980

Thanks for the info. govplanet has said I can go for a "hands of inspection." I assume that would mean no magnets but I could look for the MWO's. If it is a large as I am thinking I might go the route I first thought of. Using an existing trailer frame design and building from the ground up.

cyclic

Adventurer
I've done a bit to my 1102.

First up, is swapping the pintle brake system to a regular ball type. I under mounted it to also lower the hitch height a little.
IMAG04101_zpsepqtdtrt.jpg

Next up was some 1 ton dodge (any inch pattern 8 lug will match right up) wheels and 265/75r16 tires. Lowered it a bunch while still having great ground clearance.
IMAG04121_zpshoozc0wk.jpg

Moved the license plate to the lower rear body and tied some LED plate lights to the rear markers.
IMAG0415_zpsw301uia3.jpg

Swapped the tail bulbs to 12v, and all the others to 12v LED bulbs. (sorry no picks, just picture the lights working) And cut the military end off, swapping it to a 7 wire towing type. Plans include swapping the hydraulic brakes to electric with parking, and the drums to 6 lug to match my Suburban but keeping the tire size.

Here it is behind the burb.
IMAG04191_zpsonpdft2d.jpg

The brakes are standard stuff, 12x2. Easy swap for lug pattern or electric brakes, even keeping parking brakes. When I get around to it, I'll swap to electric braking. But for now, the hitch and wiring mods get me down the road.

Last edited:
Is the M1102 too much for my X? It's rated at 3500lb tow capacity and the M1102 are ~1500lb but I understand a lot of that is in the run flat tires and military wheels. I would want to switch it to the same tires and wheels I run on the X so I only need one spare. Even if I kept it the same will the M1102 be easy to tow long distance? Highway speeds?

I'm not a Jeep person, but it pulls easy behind my 2010 Toyota 4Runner with a V6. The weight is 1,500 lbs, but I love the "Big Scary" HMMWV wheels/Tires. I have found that most people (even in heavy Dallas Traffic) let me into traffic cause it still looks military, or because it is big and scary, but either way. I know you want to share a spare, but with solid grenade proof run flat inserts, you don't really need a spare for the trailer anyway. I have to admit, I drove my trailers home and around a bit before I even realized they had 0 psi. Even with an extra 300-400 lbs in it, the tires don't look any different.

Here is a major con I have with these trailers. At first I didn't mind the width, but it does block your mirrors, and makes it very hard to back up straight, especially in the dark. The other issue is the soft top. When installed, you really can't drive over 50mph. The front caves in and becomes a parachute. It is a pain to remove the soft top every time I want to go somewhere and put it on when I get there. The top of the soft top collects water between the bows and gets really grimy, so it's especially nasty to remove or put on when it's wet. I had thought about buying one of the rare Amtech Hardtops and just leave it on, but they are VERY expensive IF you can find one, about $2,000 used. And they are still really tall, so they catch a lot of wind, even if they don't cave in concave like the softtop does. My plan is probably to stretch a canvas top flat across the bed, or put a solid flat hardtop across the bed. I want to have a 3" tall tubular frame welded like a roll cage to attach gear to, but that won't catch the wind. I could even have a canvas cover made to go over the "Roll Cage" as a thought.

cyclic

Adventurer
My frame of thought, if your not running military tires/rims on your truck, the best mod you can do is change to regular truck tires and rims. The weight savings is huge, fixes hitch alignment, allows regular tire store service. You don't loose any weight rating, even regular c rated tires can hold the "rated" weight of the trailer and load. Also stops better without the rotational mass of those huge tires. If you change to something like 265/70r16 or similar size you can actually mount a spare under the rear of the trailer. And with the height you loose almost zero ground clearance.

For some people the width is an issue, it actually works better for me. Short trailers are generally hard to see, the 1101/1102 are wide enough it's not an issue. They are not so wide to be a hindrance in general use. I would say a hard core trail type rig should look at something narrower, but for the 90% of us that aren't "hardcore" it works perfectly. If you drive a full size vehicle, then at no time should you ever complain the 1101 is too wide. It's almost perfect for a full size truck.

Absolutely LOVE mine!

IMAG0623_zpsd4ywf3ij.jpg

Last edited:

Biscuit1980

That feeling when you find the right place with the right guys who have the right info! Thanks for the pics Cyclic, especially the hitch. I was feeling pretty bearish on the M1102 but that's turning bullish with this info. I run 32" nitto G2's on the jeep on 17's and I intend to put a 2" AEV lift on her one day soon (maybe santa will deliver) but I cant actually go any higher because I have a really low clearance garage. My old TJ on 32's with a 2.5" lift barely fit. Heavier bumpers, winch, and other gear will not be enough to clear anything higher.

The two on auction at my local airbase (DMAFB) do not have tops and I do not want one. I think one has the frames for the soft top which could be useful in fabricating a hard top. Cut them down, add cross members, cover and attach on a hinge to open sideways, weather stripping, and a simple lock. Other than that I want an extendable four post roof rack to attach a RTT.

I am waiting to hear from the auction people about going to see it in person. If I can get a good price, fix it up a bit, and find out its no fun to tow with the JK I don't doubt I could resell it and recoup my costs.

Thanks again everyone.

Biscuit1980

As for a hitch I was wanting to get away from a ball hitch or pintle and go for a all terrain hitch. This will be going off road with the idea it gets us away from the regular campgrounds but then can be left and the take jeep on the tougher stuff on it's own.

cyclic

Adventurer
Those are basically 32" tires on both the suburban and the trailer. 265/70R17 is on the suburban. Size is deceiving on that battleship. I came really close to going with a trailer side receiver tube for hitch mounting. I could have then swapped between different set-ups and lengths till I found exactly what worked best. But it basically came down to the regular 2 inch ball hitch would tow the trailer anywhere the suburban would go, without the extra expense.
My future plans include a ladder rack type set-up. Then a tarp type tent and fly's. But for now she's my general use trailer. I can haul full sheets of plywood and sheet rock with the tail gate down. Load up my generator and welder, then do farm repairs.

jarrodmcmillian

Check out Jack's Gov Surplus on Drexel, he has a ton of old military trailers, deuces, jeeps and CUCVs, just gotta get in good with him, shoot the ******** and listen to his anti government rants, to get him to sell. He's a pretty cool guy once you get passed all the hair and hippieness! I have bought all kinds of parts for my truck, from air tanks to tires and he is pretty reasonable on prices. If he doesn't have a M101A2, I would say he knows where to find one or can get it, he's been there for over 30 years if I remember correctly. Tell him Jarrod sent you.

Biscuit1980

Thanks for the tip Jarrod. I have decided to wait and see on the auction today. I was never able to get out to see them in person due to holiday obligations and such.

ETA: Just checked govplanet and they sold for $1075 and $1300.

Last edited:

Yuccahead

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip Jarrod. I have decided to wait and see on the auction today. I was never able to get out to see them in person due to holiday obligations and such.

ETA: Just checked govplanet and they sold for $1075 and $1300.

Hooolly Crap. I'm gonna sell mine!!

shogun

Adventurer
Check out Jack's Gov Surplus on Drexel, he has a ton of old military trailers, deuces, jeeps and CUCVs, just gotta get in good with him, shoot the ******** and listen to his anti government rants, to get him to sell. He's a pretty cool guy once you get passed all the hair and hippieness! I have bought all kinds of parts for my truck, from air tanks to tires and he is pretty reasonable on prices. If he doesn't have a M101A2, I would say he knows where to find one or can get it, he's been there for over 30 years if I remember correctly. Tell him Jarrod sent you.

Jack doesnt want to sell anything, but he does want to strike it rich. Not worth the effort.

jarrodmcmillian

I've bought plenty of stuff from him, just gotta get to know him a little and be prepared to haggle. Picked up a set of five brand new BFG Bajas and an air tank for my truck for next to nothing just a few months ago. Have bought a few axles and other miscellaneous things as well. He's an eccentric guy that is paranoid about the government, but with a little effort will let his stuff go fairly reasonably, at least for me anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles