M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

rlrenz

Explorer
You have the V-MUX system. It is manufactured by Weldon Brass Company. Re-programming it gets expensive, but if you leave it as-is, it will probably panic if your (non-existant) oxygen bottle pressure is low. Parts for it are available, but a new display runs about $900. Components are available on eBay, and sometimes as ambulance dealer surplus - check www.fostercoach.com for ambulance parts.

I have some operating instructions I'll post later today.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Now the real insanity starts. Rebuilding the axles ready for installation.

c8cf85583f78e9e05cf9dcb897adb453.jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
Do the axles have any failures, or will you be tearing them down just to overhaul them? You might wish you had a military wrecker before you're done - maybe a nice old Diamond T 969 twin boom wrecker?502579

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No failures but I am changing the centers from 6.8 overall to 5.6 overall ratio to allow for the “little” 43” tires. I also figure new seals would be a good investment when they are this far apart and at a good working height.

Time to chop the spring perch’s off.

2b44ea1ade61f4c9d253a9a0d67b0a86.jpg

This is going to be a PITA without an oxy kit, gouging rods or a plasma.

rlrenz

Explorer
Nicely done. Probably a little slower than an air-arc, but definitely neater. There's always a trade off between time and technique.

Reactions: B85

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Do the axles have any failures, or will you be tearing them down just to overhaul them? You might wish you had a military wrecker before you're done - maybe a nice old Diamond T 969 twin boom wrecker?View attachment 502579

I learnt to drive real trucks in a Diamond T with a 10 speed box (no synchromesh back then) 4 speed jockey box and 2 speed diffs. Geared to do 45 mph top speed. Pulling an early cable blade D9 on a low loader.

That’s why I love the Allison transmissions.

java

Expedition Leader
Dang me, thats a big girl. And axles, wheels and tires are going to add a fair bit too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles