M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

Strouty

I am worried about the 1138 a bit, but people say that it is the transmission that causes the breakage, not the transfer case.

The truck I am currently looking at is an E-One crew cab pump truck, but I will be removing the fire apparatus to install a knuckle boom and dumping flatbed.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Had to do some Aussie rednecking today. I was chasing some axle taper shims. Freightliner were useless because there are none associated with my VIN. So I called Kenworth. Yes we have them but 2 degrees only not the 6 I needed. Ok I will just grab 3 sets. Sure we have 27 sets here. They are $256 per set. Now I did really need them but there is no way I am paying $256 for something that usually cost about $15. ******!!

So I go searching around my scrap metal piles and found some 1” x 3” 6061 aluminum. And made my own. This set came out to 8 degrees but it’s good enough to mock-up with until I can but the real ones at the right price.

f9539e3e5b633ee4f4d2e070907700e8.jpg

Spanna 53

Don't give away all our Aussie secrets I think I have only ever had 2 1/2 degree ones use to have to put them in old Inters and Bedfords recon the last one was thrown in when I sold the front end machine last year . Ross

Strouty

I think you may find that the transfer case has the option for the AWD, but is still capable of 2 wheel drive.

"Optional features include a 32.4% front / 67.6% rear proportional differential with pneumatic lock, front axle de-clutch when proportional differential is not selected as an option"

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I think you may find that the transfer case has the option for the AWD, but is still capable of 2 wheel drive.

"Optional features include a 32.4% front / 67.6% rear proportional differential with pneumatic lock, front axle de-clutch when proportional differential is not selected as an option"

Damm there goes another afternoon down the google rabbit hole. Research time.

Strouty

I think it is a good option, do you really want to use more fuel and wear out the front tires quicker? I am not sure if the military ordered them all so they have this option or not. I am interested as well, seems like a nice transfer case to use.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
YouTube videos seem to indicate you have AWD for the military ones and not the ability to disconnect the front not both. But I will test it and see what the transfer case we have.

Coachgeo

Explorer
YouTube videos seem to indicate you have AWD for the military ones and not the ability to disconnect the front not both. But I will test it and see what the transfer case we have.
the disconnect would be nice..... but then again.. disconnects are typically a weak point

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ok I need to tell someone about this. The missus is just not showing enough excitement.

Found a yoke (on eBay) that allows me to use the existing drive line (in 2wd) to get mobile in time for expo. Saving a lot of time and $$$.

Trying to match up to the mechanics 8.5c to my 1710 universal joints was proving impossible.

Getting the pinion nut torqued to 885 - 1030 ft lbs is going to be a bugger.

14bd199105f48a8e2e6bddea08b4686b.jpg

a5daa438f59b89b3560b6a63e2a517e8.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Panhard rod is under construction. Profiling the 5 x 3 heavy wall box to follow the contour of the housing as the cross axle support and some 1/2 plate gussets for the lateral support.

d53fdbaf562c2fe8ad9fa7b74d163654.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94