M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Considering their workmanship, shorter cables would probably mean wire nuts....
I checked with my friends, and the answer seems to be that that circuit is used to collapse the suspension so the loading height wouldcomply with KKK requirements. They used an odd way to say it, though.

Maybe but this cable is in the cab and there is another “Air Dump” cable on one of the nodes in the module.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
FCDF3ADF-62F8-46B5-B064-BC4B3627258F.jpeg

These are the current cable numbers I pulled off my rig. In case someone else with a Medic Master is chasing them. While the wiring locations may be different I imagine they kept the same cable/wire numbers across all builds.

rlrenz

Explorer
Whatever it is beats me. I checked with my ambulance electrician friend, and he's at a blank as well -- he commented that he never had to do much with the VMUX equipment except sometimes replace modules. I'll keep on asking other friends.

rlrenz

Explorer
If you have VMUX questions, I found the ex-chief engineer for Medic Master. He does consulting on VMUX as a sideline. Let me know if you'd like his contact info, but his rate is $100 per hour. He was able to get me a full set of drawings for my buggy for only $275

rlrenz

Explorer
As I recall, when you bought Big Red, it had a roof mounted lightbar and a spotlight. Was the spotlight mounted on top of the light bar, or directly behind it? I have a remote control spotlight that will go on top of my buggy, and I'm debating about on top of the 'bar, or behind the bar.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
As I recall, when you bought Big Red, it had a roof mounted lightbar and a spotlight. Was the spotlight mounted on top of the light bar, or directly behind it? I have a remote control spotlight that will go on top of my buggy, and I'm debating about on top of the 'bar, or behind the bar.

Mounted on top of the light bar.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
If you have VMUX questions, I found the ex-chief engineer for Medic Master. He does consulting on VMUX as a sideline. Let me know if you'd like his contact info, but his rate is $100 per hour. He was able to get me a full set of drawings for my buggy for only $275

That could be a great source for those who are running the VMUX. If he finds someone who needs parts let me know. I will be removing all my VMUX (from both trucks). I also have the interface adapter.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
OK it's been a long while since I gave an update.

During the mess of last year I had the privilege of spending 3 months working in Canada. As a bonus I got to use the truck as my transport and accommodation (no hotels or planes needed and being able to quarantine in my own vehicle during a pandemic was the real bonus). Both the use case and the weather were considerably different to our previous experience which brings me to this post. This was a solo trip as only essential workers could get permission to cross the border. And we are intending to live in this rig full time in the future.

To set the scene. 3000 + miles to get there in the middle of summer. No AC in the truck, no AC in the box and no sound system. 55 mph rated tires and no spare. Initial 2 weeks quarantine “at work” living on a hardstand, so no contact , hookups or resupply. Rained for about 35 days out of the 1st 42 days. Temperatures ranged from 115 to below freezing. No heater working in the truck either.

What works and what needs changing:

Shower & water system -
- Shower worked great, the rain head was economical and after big days it was a godsend. Multiple showers per day on the way up just to get some relief from the heat.
- Hand held shower head was great for hot water outside the truck and for washing hands (in the middle of a pandemic :)
- Instantaneous gas hot water system sucked. Mine is an Ecotherm and needs to have the cabinet open to use it. It does not bring the water up hot enough when it gets really cold. This one would stop heating half way through a shower. Froze my arsenal off multiple times.
- Grey water tank. Normally we dump our water in the sand. As a grey water tank I have a 5 gallon black Scepter can. It will last for a couple of days water usage for me. But it sits on the ground and I have to set it up each time I park up.
- Having a separate 20 gallons of drinking water meant I could use suspect water to refill my main tank.

Planned changes:
- Diesel Webasto water heater (including engine preheat)
- Onboard grey water tank with option to dump to ground (selectable from inside)
- Investigating recycling shower water, still on the fence so will be low priority.

Cooking facilities:
- No troubles using induction cooking for 80% of the cooking. 5% fire pit, 5% Skottle, 5% microwave or George Forman grill, 5% partner stove.
- Most induction cooking done outside (in bear country and inclement weather).
- Inside cooking area is too low and not ventilated well enough.
- Inside fridge was great. (For this trip I ran a Dometic 45l front opening inside with an ARB fridge outside and an ARB freezer outside)
- ARB fridge (newest one) quit in the middle of the trip. Goes to show redundancy is critical.
- Magma nesting cookware works well but I did breakdown and buy a cast skillet. Getting the Bedourie oven out each time was getting old quick.
- Snowpeak fire pit worked very well.
- Skottle also got a flogging when cooking for a crew.
- Nespresso coffee machine was essential.

Planned changes
- Rework kitchen area to raise height, install window and better ventilation.
- Changeout microwave for Anova Precision Oven (Sous vide oven)
- Dedicated kitchenware drawers.
- Rework pantry.
- quick deploy self supporting awning over outside cooking area.

Sleeping arrangements and interior:
- We use a sleeper sofa. Comfort level is OK for shorter trips.
- Making it up each evening and stripping it each morning is a PITA.
- No real comfortable place to sit and eat. (no dinette so we use a fold up table inside with a folding camp chair, talk about ghetto).
- Sleeping comfort long term is not great (and that was solo).

Planned changes:
- Replace sofa with a murphy bed.
- dinette under murphy bed.
- Dinette to include 2 comfortable chairs not foam benches.

Interior comfort:
- Chinese diesel heater. Worked like a champion, best mod I have done. I used this a lot of mornings especially in the colder wet times. Set the alarm 10 minutes before I had to be up. Reach out of bed to switch the heater on, hit the snooze for 9 minutes and the rig was warmed up nicely to get out of bed. I will be installing one in the truck cab as well.
- Maxaire fan worked a treat.
- Condensation issues with the fan surround due to aluminum shroud of the ambulance.
- hard floor was great for the conditions (sand mud dirt) but soft coverings would of been nice on the colder days.

Planned changes:
- Mini split AC will be going in.
- Floor mats or carpets.
- More windows.
- Walk through between cab and box.

Electrical:
- 840 W solar. No trouble keeping up with usage but I was driving every day. (270 amp alternator)
- 4 group 27 lead acid batteries, common for truck and camper. Would not of been enough if I wasn’t driving daily.
- 7.5 kw diesel generator. Only used for a couple of hours to power up work stuff to finish off acceptance testing.
- Solar panel stuck on with Sika using plastic mounts on freshly sanded aluminum using the matching primer. Failed in multiple places and I had to put screws into my roof which I didn’t want to do.
- Solar controller inside box. All the heat it produces remains in the box. Sucks in summer.

Planned changes:
- Remove generator, make room for extra fuel tank.
- Remount solar.
- Double solar panels (probably @Everlanders style)
- Split truck and house battery banks.
- 500 + AH lithium. (inside box envelope)
- 2 group 27 AGM for truck (mounted on top of current battery box)
- Move solar regulator/regulators outside the living area.
- Replace ambulance VMUX system with homebuilt system

Communications:
- Weboost cellular booster with trucker antenna. (failed multiple times where the antenna socket is soldered to the board. Bodged it as good as possible with the tools I had but it was not worth the money overall)
- Hotspot Apple iPhone
- external Weboost directional antenna on 20 ft flagpole.(eventually used back to back with trucker antenna as a passive booster antenna)

Planned changes:
- Mofi or similar hotspot cellular router.
- twin high gain external antennas (mounted on truck mirrors), potentially another weboost trucker antenna on the other side)
- twin high gain antennas mounted on the flagpole.
- Wifi booster for the few times I need to access corporate wifi on sites rather than cellular.
- Ham rig when I finally get my butt into gear and get a license.
- Get Weboost rehired (properly) just for mobile voice use when I don’t want to burn through data.
- Double SIM phone (work coverage).

The truck:
- No AC or heater. On the way up there I roasted, on the way back I was driving along wrapped in a blanket.
- Console between the seats is a wiring rats nest and stops access from front seats to back.
- access from cab to box through the pass through is doable but not realistic.
- No sound system (well that's what I thought but the radio started working a day out from home, still couldn't hear it going down the road though)
- still only 2wd
- spare tire rack was bodged up just for this trip. Does not let me take a motorcycle and the tire.
- 55 mph tires
- engine torque is being limited to 80% for some reason. Also engine is currently setup for 280 hp

Planned changes
- fix the heat and AC.
- Remove console (and sort out excess wiring including VMUX controllers
- Remove sofa bed (rear seat) from the cab and replace with captains chairs (with swivel and tables) to use as my office.
- open up pass through to walk through.
- install rooftop tent accessible from inside the cab.
- sound system
- window covers
- install transfer case/driveline
- rework spare tire carrier and motorcycle carrier so both can be used together.
- Change to Goodyear MVT tires to get to 65+ mph
- Find out what is driving the torque limiting and fix it.
- Reflash to 330 hp.
- get exhaust brake working.

And at the same time I need to work on the other truck to do the murphy bed/dinette setup and install the 4wd setup.

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
Since your rig is a Medic Master, would you like me to send you the structure/compartment drawings and the electrical drawings for mine? Here's a side framing layout as an example

curb side framing.JPG

java

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear about the solar.... I hade exactly that same issue.....

Please keep us posted on the mini split, and the cell booster plans.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Since your rig is a Medic Master, would you like me to send you the structure/compartment drawings and the electrical drawings for mine? Here's a side framing layout as an example

My layout is different but one thing I did notice is that they have an area with a different structural pitch and it happens to be just over 14" which is the width/length required for a lot of fans and AC's (if it continues over the roof). Smart buggers aren't they.

Ambo framework.png

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Sorry to hear about the solar.... I hade exactly that same issue.....

Please keep us posted on the mini split, and the cell booster plans.

I'm waiting for the @DrivenToAdventure guys to drop thru here in a few weeks time. They installed the same Pioneer minisplit I am looking at but I want to separate the condenser and compressor so I can fit the condensor/condensors in the gap between the cab and the box.

Booster will be big $$$$ trial and error I think. My main concern longer term is data access everywhere. Hopefully Starlink will come through by then :) . Wilson Weboost worked sort of OK sometimes but I could not recommend it as value for money especially when it failed on me.

IMG_9702.jpeg

rlrenz

Explorer
My layout is different but one thing I did notice is that they have an area with a different structural pitch and it happens to be just over 14" which is the width/length required for a lot of fans and AC's (if it continues over the roof). Smart buggers aren't they.

View attachment 637543

The 14 1/4" spacing was to handle a recessed 115 volt, 500 watt halogen floodlight on each side. But FYI, here's the roof framing:Roof.JPG

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
I'm waiting for the @DrivenToAdventure guys to drop thru here in a few weeks time. They installed the same Pioneer minisplit I am looking at but I want to separate the condenser and compressor so I can fit the condensor/condensors in the gap between the cab and the box.

Booster will be big $$$$ trial and error I think. My main concern longer term is data access everywhere. Hopefully Starlink will come through by then :) . Wilson Weboost worked sort of OK sometimes but I could not recommend it as value for money especially when it failed on me.

View attachment 637552
Cool, I'll be following along!

Yes I have the weboost too. It's Meh.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Mattersnots

Adventurer
Glad to see some action here. Be careful making those lists. If you're like me they keep nagging at you until complete.

The mini split disassembly was very straightforward. Only difficult part was soldering the copper tubing back together. I thought I had to be all careful until I watched the "professional" repair one of my solders. He heated the crap out of the tubing with no regard to temps. I thought he was going to melt the copper. Mini split is working great after a summer and some winter use. Maybe too good, I've decided it needs to be mounted on an over the cab roof rack so it can be run without opening cabinet doors or pulling safety shields.

Best of luck with the projects. Hope we get to hang at expo later this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne