M416 Build - Phase II - Addition of Hardsided Folding Camper Top

RJ40

Adventurer
With such a beautiful cabin like that, why would you possibly want to go elsewhere for the 4th!!! I'm stunned..:Wow1:

Great work on the trailer nonetheless, Congrats on getting it out of your head and into reality!

Cheers!

bluebruin

Adventurer
well, its still fun to get out and see other places once in a while :) Especially places as spectacular as Telluride.

Still a long way to go on the camper/trailer, but at least its mostly functional now.

bluebruin

Adventurer
made the drive to telluride and back. Camper worked well. had a great 4th.
IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1042.JPG

trailer started making a squeaking noise on the way home. I figured it was dust in the suspension. I figured wrong. in my driveway I noticed the wheel sitting tilted. Took wheel off, the bearing is completely exploded.

I am now wondering if my combination of weight, spacers, adapters wheels and huge tires is going to work. or, maybe my bearings were just old and shot. who knows. don't want to rebuild only to fail again.... maybe its time to replace axle. Or maybe build a new trailer from scratch and stick this camper on top of it. would be nice to have a storage compartment for gear that was accessible when the camper was up. No tub with a lid... just a cargo box with doors on the sides to slide gear in and out. maybe drawer slides.

bluebruin

Adventurer
finally got new bearings installed. The outer bearing on the driver's side was COMPLETELY disintegrated. I mean, nothing left, reduced to metal shavings. Can't believe I made it home. Shaft was a bit grooved, had to do some sanding. Had to cut off the old inner bearing as well. But, finally got the new ones in. I think these wheels are way too heavy and way too far out with the combination of spacers, adapters, and back spacing on the wheels. no bueno. Seems to be the theme here with the trailer, too heavy. Starting to think of building a light one from scratch..... teardrop style. nothing to setup.

bluebruin

Adventurer
here is an update for those wondering how the camper top deploys.

Step 1. Lift lid and unload gear from tub.

Step 2: setup scissor jack stabilizer under each corner of camper. Adjust until level. (not shown in these photos)

Step 3: Stand on front platform, lift up end of top, end wall unfolds (with gas springs)
20150404_094451.jpg

Step 4: Setup the ladder on the end of the trailer. Lift up other end of top, 2nd end wall unfolds. Cables keep walls from over extending.
20150404_100045.jpg

Step 5: Move ladder to side of trailer. Open door on the side wall that's folded flat.
20150404_100133.jpg

Step 6: climb into trailer (sitting in the door hole) and fold up the side wall.
20150404_100459.jpg

Step 7: Fold up 2nd side wall. Latch walls into place on inside.

Here are some photos of the inside.
20150404_101317.jpg

20150404_101233.jpg

HvXctzI8twi2mBMG-3mu9_I9dcq_GfDIT3ytFlCdigXE=w391-h695-no

20150404_101141.jpg

ceiling
20150404_101150.jpg

bluebruin

Adventurer
thanks guys! yeah. it gets the job done, there are pros and cons like all projects. Turned out a bit slower, heavier, and more difficult (to setup) than I had planned. But its solid, water tight, warm, etc. Plus, it can go anywhere your jeep can go unlike 99% of all other hardsided campers.

I'm actually starting another trailer build now, so I am probably selling this one in case anyone is interested. Thanks

bluebruin

Adventurer
Well, I sold the trailer to Alan, from Arvada, CO today! Good luck Alan. I wish you many fun times in your new rig. I hope you conquer some awesome trails and make some fun memories with your family.

The trailer is not perfect, but I hope that you can continue where I left off and make it work great for your style of overlanding/camping.

I am on to new projects. Here is a link to the new trailer I built:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...oftop-tent-teardrop-style-kitchen-box-on-back

Traumahawk

Man Lee, I had to get online and find this thread! Happy I did! This is Alan! We are happy and even honored to own the legacy! I feel that I have huge shoes to fill after catching up on the history of this beast. I certainly have the intent to add my creativity and carry on your creation. Hopefully I can better your ingenious creation! I will certainly plan on posting here if I have your permission. Just seems like the right thing to do after all your dedication! Thank you for passing the torch! I am sure I will be coming back up the hill to get advice and opinions. ;)

bluebruin

Adventurer
Man Lee, I had to get online and find this thread! Happy I did! This is Alan! We are happy and even honored to own the legacy! I feel that I have huge shoes to fill after catching up on the history of this beast. I certainly have the intent to add my creativity and carry on your creation. Hopefully I can better your ingenious creation! I will certainly plan on posting here if I have your permission. Just seems like the right thing to do after all your dedication! Thank you for passing the torch! I am sure I will be coming back up the hill to get advice and opinions. ;)

Alan!!! I should have thought to just send you the link! That's great! OF COURSE you can post here! I would love to follow along and what all the improvements you make! On the first post of this thread there is a link to an old blog I kept while building the original trailer as well. So you'll have the complete history.

What are your plans for changes and improvements? I can't wait to see it take on a whole new life. I guess this is probably the 5th or so life.

1. Vietnam
2. used as flatbed trailer to hold a big industrial welder for a portable welding business according to the military surplus guy I bought it from (tub was from another M416)
3. camping gear trailer with lid
4. camper top
5. Alan - ????

Alan - anytime I can help you in any way, please let me know. I am by no means and expert (there are far better people for advice on many topics on this forum). I wish you nothing but the best and a fun time with the project. I am sure there will be ups and downs like I had, but in the end its great making something your own. Talk to you soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles