m416 rebuild question

cemeb4dk

In the process of starting my m416 rebuild. I have everything stripped apart and getting to the point of putting new bearings and seals in the axle hubs. Mine came with the hand parking brake, and I am not going to use the brake feature in the new configuration. So my question is can I just remove the brake shoes and put it all back together without the shoes in the hub? thanks

x2 for what Verkstad said.

I have an M101A1 (yep, bigger trailer) I removed the parking brake feature from and I regret it. The new hybrid lightened M101A1 + Sears Bradley I'm building will have the parking brake feature.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I had a M4161A and it had the parking brake. I know it is your trailer but removing the brake is an error and an accident waiting to happen.
If you decide to remove be sure to keep all the parts so when you do discover it was a mistake you can put it back together.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I swapped out the original axle in my M416 for a 3,500lb axle with electric brakes. Sure it'd be nice to have the parking brake, but I've gotten by just fine for 8-9 years without it just using wheel chocks. Granted I'm a pretty big dude and have no problems moving my trailer around even when it's loaded down with gear.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
x3 for what Verkstad. I have rebuilt 3 old military trailers (yes I have trailer issues), and have one that is a knock off. The knock off doesn't have trailer brakes and I hate not having them on it, especially when camping or dragging a heavy trailer downhill. If you need to move the brake lever to add a nose box that's fine and can be accomplished with a different handle/location. Believe it or not, new shoes and other parts for those are not that difficult to find and once you have them adjusted are great. I really think once they are working well you will appreciate them and as the saying goes...Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

cemeb4dk

Thanks everyone. Going to keep it and use a turnbuckle of some sort to relocate the handle. I found the cable and parts needed to complete the rebuild. Thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94