Mad New 100 series Cruiser

Madbodhi

Observer
LAND CRUISER DOWN!!!!!!!
Well, kind of. Transmission began acting up. Accelerating from a stop the revs would climb but she would move slowly and then eventually shift and get going. Pulled code
P0751 Shift Solenoid A Performance / Stuck Off. Researched it and what I got was a list of possible causes.Dirty or low fluid,S1 solenoid was bad,clogged valve body, or tranny itself was shot. Decided to do a full flush of the tranny and replace the S1 solenoid. It's my daily driver so dropping the pan and testing the S1 solenoid then waiting for a new one if it tested bad was not ideal...and Partsouq had it for half what the dealers wanted.

Madbodhi

Observer
Dropped pan, absolutely dreading seeing a pan full of shavings.
20180608_092354-1.jpg
So far so good. No excessive metal, fluid was dirty but not burnt.
20180608_092947-1.jpg
All the shiny new parts. I replaced the S1 solenoid and did a full flush. Hooked up Techstream to monitor the temperature and set fluid level. Jumped in to take her for a test run...........no gears, at all. There was cussing. Then I remembered that I disconnected the shifter linkage to access the fill hole, lol. Hooked it back up and took her for a drive.

Madbodhi

Observer
Shifted much better, accelerated smoothly and through all gears. Accelerated from a stop dozens of times, worked perfectly. Patted myself on the back and headed home.Then,at a stop. Same issue of climbing revs and slow acceleration. Got home scratching my head. Went in the garage and tested the old S1 solenoid. Tested good.##"",'"#!':!'":.

Madbodhi

Observer
Pulled up my Torque app and there was a new code. P0974 Shift Solenoid A Control Circuit High. Further research. After combining the 2 codes I'd gotten and A750f for the tranny I got my answer. Apparently its a common issue for the Aussies who actually put these things through it's paces but not so common in the U.S. because IH8mud had nothing on it.
20180607_081454.jpg
The seal on this connector can fail with lots of water crossings and of course, time. Popped it off to have a looksee.
20180608_115038-1.jpg
Harness side
20180608_122924-2.jpg
Transmission side
I had looked over the wiring but the first code did not indicate, at least from the info I found, a possible electrical issue. So I had not checked this previously. Lesson learned on due diligence in troubleshooting an issue.

Madbodhi

Observer
Cleaned it up best I could with contact cleaner and put some dialectric grease in there. No pins appear broken.I'm going to revisit this and either mechanically clean the pins with a brass brush (kind of difficult angle) or replace the plug, squirt it full of dialectric grease and put some silicone sealant on it.

Madbodhi

Observer
Cleaning up the frame with powered and hand held wire brushes in preparation for a regimen of rust converter, sealer, and top coat.
Before
20180703_092428.jpg
After

20180703_095445.jpg

Madbodhi

Observer
Finally finished up the rear bumper build. Afew modifications to 4x4Labs design.
20180703_122914.jpg
I'm modifying a threaded locking hitch pin to make a locking pin for the hi-lift.
20180703_121623.jpg

Madbodhi

Observer
Just used an old lug nut I had laying around to figure out the length. I wanted it just long enough for the locking head to engage with minimal room to rattle around.
20180703_122904-1.jpg
Now I just need to cut the excess threaded length, weld a nut on to get the proper length and maybe drill a hole to attach a lanyard so I dont lose the pin when I remove it.

Madbodhi

Observer
Got the transmission fixed today. New internal wiring harness.
Old and busted vs New hotness
20180707_134028-1.jpg
Put abunch of dialectric grease into it.

Madbodhi

Observer
Purchased these micro files on Amazon to clean up the female contacts. Used the smallest file and it worked beautifully.
20180612_122433-1.jpg

Madbodhi

Observer
20180707_122854.jpg
Plenty of pics so I don't mess up the wire routing.Easy peasy. Buttoned up and leveled the fluid. All better now. No faults and she shifts perfectly again.

Madbodhi

Observer
T7PeQFABhIo3DD09-WxMtJlb7q5Fm5t_nk7VP7jMMDgpX92IB.jpg
Ey1ai8KDbjO4sesfw1ztFLHMPMNjASoiaJx64yoHZGEpX92IB.jpg
Picked up a rubberized Czech military surplus backpack and used the original straps and Velcro cinch straps to attach.

Last edited:

Madbodhi

Observer
Took a trip to Vegas with stops in Colorado and Utah

Engineer Pass
5KQiBaSbs37P-6AQztYoZnQGhmZiOONhfusgiQKKt-wpX92IB.jpg
First campsite by Loch Lomond
b6Zc6Se824dIXJsn3qCCWwa9HBbrVKu90zhIcurFlm4pX92IB.jpg
Billings Lake
Du1gGeVkLw3isuJAtVDD8cL5h3hm--3OOUeNHUp_8qYpX92IB.jpg

Madbodhi

Observer
Returned via S. Dakota because my kids love it there.
Stopped at Wall Drugs before heading into Badlands but noticed a weird noise....Sheared 3 studs and a 4th sheared trying to remove the nut.
XFBWR7OaoRm3p541xGWoeMSZf80dwJc7_OEig5kj1XopX92IB.jpg
Was able to scavenge some studs and lug nuts off the spare tire carrier and a local kid came by and held the flashlight. Luckily the local cop was ok with me working on it in place next to Wall Drug and the kids had stuff there to keep them entertained.
lghWE-UiYIF8KZccDifwnwP2QcTOpKXjq8B_mjNZvBcpX92IB.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste