Magnuson Supercharger FJ Cruiser 2010 Install Thread

Hello Everyone,
After some research, and re-confirming the setup we currently own, is the best for our long term adventures, we have decided to install a Magnuson Supercharger.

We have assessed the capability and activities that we are able to do with our FJ Cruiser and custom built Teardrop trailer.

The FJ is unpowered even with re-gearing to 4.56 gears, and running 33's. The places the FJ struggles the most is in the mountains. When I say struggles, I mean the FJ has to work pretty hard to keep the posted speed. Does it work , yes, but it is not good. Also the gas mileage is extremely poor, due to the FJ having to run at 4000 rpm quite often to keep speed. We do not mind the gas mileage too much, as the vehicle is only used on trips, and we are realistic about the cost of owning a diesel truck. Also we know that most diesel trucks are not as nimble on the trail as the FJ, and that Toyota does not offer a US diesel option.

Supercharging the FJ, seems to be our only choice.

We are looking for some confirmation on our choice, as we are making preparations to order the this week.

Also do you think that this will make the FJ, very desirable , for resale some day, we do not ever expect to get out investment back, but would it make the FJ sell easier.

Cost of Magnuson Supercharger $5700
Installation Cost of Supercharger $1500

Total upgrade cost approximately $7200

Total invested in our setup so far. You do not want to know.

The specs of the trailer and FJ is the following.

FJ GVWR: #5570

FJ Cruiser Weight: 5780# Over by: 210#

FJ Cruiser and Trailer: 8260#

Current Trailer Weight: 2480#

10%-15% of that weight is target Tongue Weight: 250#

Current Tongue Weight: 225# (-25#)

FJ and Trailer Cropped.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Nice setup. I used to have a fjc on 33's and felt power was adequate in mountains, but I never towed with. Personally I wouldn't buy a used supercharged model just for concerns about the motor longevity, but a lot of guys dig that stuff.

Runt

Adventurer
When i owned an FJ i looked into the Supercharger. i passed due to you can only run premium fuel once you go down that road. hard to find up North

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
if you head over to the T4r website -specifically the 5th gen section- you will find some good info- the FJ and 4 Runner motors are the same.

Here are 2 links for some reading.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/244873-wfo9-supercharger-install-results-thread.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-g...n-supercharger-2010-present-2010-2014-fj.html

I have been watching this myself as I would like one for my 16, 4Runner, but kinda waiting a bit for all the kinks to work out.

I do have a TRD Supercharger on my 03 4Runner V8, that I put on at 4k miles and now have 272k on it. Granted its not the V6, but my point was a mildly tuned super charger can be reliable on a Toyota vehicle. If i understood correctly Magnuson was the manufacturer for TRD back when they sold them.

Great looking trailer by the way.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The FJC is not underpowered with stock size tires, IMO. But have fun with the install, it will be interesting either way.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
I hear you on the FJ and towing. Hills kill the power very quickly. I have learned to slow down and enjoy the drive more instead of trying to keep the posted speed limit. I refuse to drive my FJ at 4k rpm. I just cannot do it and feel good. Even if is it capable.

That said...I want one of those superchargers as well. If all goes as planned, I will do it Fall 2019. I will be installing it myself.

As for resale, that is not something I care about since I plan to keep my FJ as long as I can. I want to be the old guy in the cool FJ Cruiser! lol

knoxswift

2010, probably have some miles? I would do one or 2 oil evaluations and compression tests before putting 7k+ on supercharger that might reduce engine life.

TT-Tacoma

Observer
Understanding that you wish to keep the FJ I'd say that my experience with the twin screw/roots type blowers is that they allow the driver to use the extra power when needed and cruise with it mostly unnoticeable when not heavy on the throttle. The power is very linear and consistent without the surge like a turbo or a centrifugal supercharger. While the twin screw/roots type have the restriction of making less maximum power due to heat restrictions and efficiency the driving experience is much more enjoyable and in a towing situation it would be my first choice if going for forced induction.

I learned the hard way when building a Mustang when younger that making 450/525 at the tire with a 5.0 and a turbo is fun doing head gaskets and swapping engines is not. If I had thought it through I could have bolted on a Kenne Bell twin screw and had a ton of fun at 375/425 at the tire and I might have actually driven the car more instead of working on it all the time.

I end with this though just to be that guy... While the FJ you own is fantastic and looks like you've spent some real time setting it up if you spend all that money to add the supercharger and run premium all the time or would you be better off selling it as is and building a v8 powered 4runner and use that money on suspension and mods? That's what I would be asking myself.

Understanding that you wish to keep the FJ I'd say that my experience with the twin screw/roots type blowers is that they allow the driver to use the extra power when needed and cruise with it mostly unnoticeable when not heavy on the throttle. The power is very linear and consistent without the surge like a turbo or a centrifugal supercharger. While the twin screw/roots type have the restriction of making less maximum power due to heat restrictions and efficiency the driving experience is much more enjoyable and in a towing situation it would be my first choice if going for forced induction.

I learned the hard way when building a Mustang when younger that making 450/525 at the tire with a 5.0 and a turbo is fun doing head gaskets and swapping engines is not. If I had thought it through I could have bolted on a Kenne Bell twin screw and had a ton of fun at 375/425 at the tire and I might have actually driven the car more instead of working on it all the time.

I end with this though just to be that guy... While the FJ you own is fantastic and looks like you've spent some real time setting it up if you spend all that money to add the supercharger and run premium all the time or would you be better off selling it as is and building a v8 powered 4runner and use that money on suspension and mods? That's what I would be asking myself.

You made some valid points, I contemplated selling the FJ, But my deciding factor, was , the amount of money that I had invested in the FJ. I would never get my money back, and the idea of setting up another vehicle, was going to be an expensive endeavor. The Supercharger was expensive, but starting over again was even more expensive.

TT-Tacoma

Observer
You made some valid points, I contemplated selling the FJ, But my deciding factor, was , the amount of money that I had invested in the FJ. I would never get my money back, and the idea of setting up another vehicle, was going to be an expensive endeavor. The Supercharger was expensive, but starting over again was even more expensive.

I dig it. Anxious to hear how it runs/drives after you get it all installed. I'd love to put one on my Tacoma but the cost is just too much for us. Money would be better spent on a FWC or Flippac at this point.

dmandley

I am being this thread back :)
I am looking to do the same on a 2010 suburban. Did you need transmission upgrades? How is everything running after 3 years?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior