Mainland Mexico June/July 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

articulate

Expedition Leader
el_mapo.jpg

I'm soliciting some thoughts.

I have 2-3 weeks in mainland Mexico at the end of this June and the time will spill over into July a bit. The precise dates are not solid yet.

The basic is that I have to be in Guanajuato on or by July 1 to drop off my brother. He's got some "business" there, so I'm taking the opportunity to toss in a little exploration/adventure.

What should I see or do?

Currently, I'm going to cross at Sasabe to start. Visting Tubutama and Oquitoa for their historic missions. My intentions are to follow the coast to about Mazatlan and shoot inland to end up at Guanajuato. If you look at your map, that's a lot of space and details I need to fill in. I want to come back in the landlocked areas, essentially connecting the dots of Guanajuato-Torreon-Chihuahua-Nogales.

Any thoughts?

I'd be open to anyone joining us for however long you can, too. I'll get the dates shortly.

:arabia:
Mark

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark, This sounds liek a great trip. I would love to join you, but Colette and I are planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta at the end of July.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
connecting the dots of Guanajuato-Torreon-Chihuahua-Nogales.

Well you could cross from Chihuahua to Hermosillo and have a great time stopping by the Falls, it is a long 8 hour trip but worth the drive!:)

flywgn

Explorer
We would recommend seeing Paquimé (outside of Nuevos Casas Grandes) and if you want some souvenirs the pottery of Mata Ortiz is fabulous.

There's a great road from Paquimé over into the Valle des Ollas with visits to ancient cliff dwellings and still existing granaries.

It'll be warm so wear your ACs. :xxrotflma

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
datrupr said:
Mark, This sounds liek a great trip. I would love to join you, but Colette and I are planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta at the end of July.

Ahh PVR... Be careful of the wicked margaritas!
IMG_0209.JPG

Sorry to Hi-jack your tread Mark! There are some great exploring oopertunities around Guaymas... let me see if I can hunt them down for you...

datrupr

Expedition Leader
flywgn said:
We would recommend seeing Paquimé (outside of Nuevos Casas Grandes) and if you want some souvenirs the pottery of Mata Ortiz is fabulous.

There's a great road from Paquimé over into the Vallé des Ollas with visits to ancient cliff dwellings and still existing granaries.

It'll be warm so wear your ACs. :xxrotflma

There was just a write up from Turtle Expeditions in this months Off Road about Paquime. It really made me want to go there, ,very much to explore around Nuevos Casas Grandes. Good thinking Allen:bowdown:

articulate

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
Ahh PVR... Be careful of the wicked margaritas!
IMG_0209.JPG

That one's going down in history, dude! Wicked margaritas: the more you have, the less you remember on how to get a straw in your mouth. I see you used the seek-n-destroy with the tongue method.

You fellas have some great ideas here - particularly the falls between Chihuahua and Hermosillo and the "great road from Paquimé over into the Vallé des Ollas." It looks like I can't fit both of those in unless we back-track.

Guaymas - I've only been there to ride the ferry over to Baja, so I'm interested in checking out the area a little more.

Another note: With the popularity of internet cafes down there, I ought to be able to post semi-frequent updates here. Perhaps I can persuade some of you to come down as I get closer to the border on the way back....!?!? I've learned my painful lesson of going too far into the wild without partners.

Thanks for the ideas. And keep them a-coming!

Mark

flywgn

Explorer
Dang, I didn't proofread well enough. I didn't notice that I had spelled valle with an é until it was REPEATED for me in QUOTES. I just went back and edited my first post.

But then I saw this from 'wil

"Sorry to Hi-jack your tread Mark! There are some great exploring oopertunities around Guaymas... let me see if I can hunt them down for you..." with the giant marguerita in the post and thought maybe both of us had suffered from "tee many martoonies". :xxrotflma

flywgn

Explorer
articulate said:
... Perhaps I can persuade some of you to come down as I get closer to the border on the way back....!?!? I've learned my painful lesson of going too far into the wild without partners.

Thanks for the ideas. And keep them a-coming!

Mark

Now that's a possibility. We have tentative plans to rejoin an archaelogical group for another trip to Paquimé about that time. I'll re-check the dates.

Allen

On Edit: Just found the brochure re: our possible trip and it's not until October

Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I found more pictures in this Guaymas/ San Carlos area:)

Attachments

• Marina puerto penasco.jpg
    Marina puerto penasco.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 35
  • punta chueca.jpg
    punta chueca.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 44
  • BahiaKino2.jpg
    BahiaKino2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Sonora Desert.jpg
    Sonora Desert.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 36
  • Bahia KINO.jpg
    Bahia KINO.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 49

articulate

Expedition Leader
Dates

I've had a little progress. Thanks for all the input.

We're leaving on June 24, and will be back in U.S. July 12.

Has anyone been to Cuauhtemoc, near Chihuahua? I'm interested in visiting the Mennonite community there. I would also enjoy seeing Paquimé in addition to some "back road" opportunites.

!Salud!

Mark

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I have passed by Cuahutemoc small town not a whole lot to see, however there are some small areas on the outside going to Yecora hwy were you could explore the Mennonite's they are very friendly and you could stop by their homes and buy some of their great products like cheese:victory:
I will try to post some pictures if I can find them. Great looking homes;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior