Making a ifting roof on a 110

wuntenn

Adventurer
Fantastic stuff! Glad to see you are putting all that hard work to use.

I understand your point about posting location details. It's a terrible shame for what inconsiderate slobs we humans can be.

Most folks I've met are fine but there's a cabal of 'party-campers' who fetch up, boogie and leave piles of trash behind them and spoil it for everyone, so I try to avoid making the decent spots that are left too public.

mervo

Observer
Wuntenn,

I just stumbled across this thread when searching for 'how to build a pop-top camper.' I began reading and 2 hours later my brain is mush!

To say that I'm impressed would be putting it mildly. You are an absolute genius when it comes to fabrication!!! I really hope you sell your design to someone to make some $$ back for all of your hard work.

Thank you for all of the time and energy you've put into this build, it's certainly been incredibly informative to me.

wuntenn

Adventurer
Hi Mervo - sorry for the mush brain! Glad you enjoyed the thread. My intention was not to make money - there's enough people out there making these lifting roofs already, in France, Germany, Switzerland, Australia, South Africa and I think in the UK as well (although the latter is a shorter and less useful iteration). I was happy to share it, and in doing so was rewarded by a lot of advice, assistance and recommendations by the many good folks on here. Where my bit of 'fun' was had was seeing if I could incorporate a few idea for multi-purpose design features that would make it more usable and flexible.

The main thing for me was a simple fact - the Land Rover fraternity/sorority is (for the most part) budget conscious and diy-inclined (you have to be with an older LR!), and WAY TOO MANY of the build threads I've pondered over were undertaken using fantastic workshops and access to all kinds of kit that makes fabrication much easier, and I'd looked at several and got thoroughly disheartened - so this thread was an on-the-drive do it yourself at home in all weather build that anyone with some inclination and no fear of hard work could undertake.

I would be a happy happy man if one day someone rolled up at my home in their 110 with THEIR home-made copy and said "You did it, so I realized I could do it too. So I did!" - that would be brilliant!

So, if you're contemplating it - all I can say is GO FOR IT!

(And if you need advice, please just ask).

schweps

Yes - I made backing plates out of 3mm alloy, drilled to match the steps and bolted them on the inside, so there is reinforcement in there. I've also used one longer bolt which I'm going to use to fasten the internal fittings to, which will keep the inside furniture secure, but also provide additional strength to the step. Without a backing plate it would rip off fairly quickly.

Hi Wuntenn,
That is amazing what you are doing.
I'd like to ask if you ever used those steps. Any deformation happened on the side panel, after you stepped on them ?
Cheers.
Senol

wuntenn

Adventurer
Hi Schweps - yes used them a lot, and the actual step bends a bit but the panel has not yet deformed - I'm tall but not hugely heavy - about 165lbs - so if you were more chunky than me you'd perhaps have a problem. Not sure what the life expectancy of them is but they are getting a bit weather-worn (but then they were not expensive).

schweps

So what i understand is, there is no additional requirements to locate them, except 3mm plate on the other side to be used as a washer.

wuntenn

Adventurer
Yes thats right. I made sure they were inside the vehicle (as opposed to inside the wing area) and just reinforced the back with a decently broad piece of metal - about 150mm square, to spread the load. Left one bolt longer than the others and used that to fasten the inner cabinets onto, so they reinforce each other. Needs some thinking ahead - but that's the challenge, and the fun!

mowerman

Adventurer
A really interesting thread and well done John on some inspired work.
I am interested if you don't mind the question how much money you have saved relative to the purchase of a similar roof from a supplier?
Also reference the leaking from the loops designed to pull the sides in as you lower the roof.
My good friend recently bought this :-

I am sure you recognise it, it is probably the most famous and well documented 70 in history! :)

My point is that it has a similar roof opening as yours. But in order to pull the canvas sides in when closing it simply has a shock cord "elastic band" that runs all the way round. Normally this cord lies down at the bottom of the lower portion of the roof, behind the upstand. But then closing it is simply pulled up the the halfway point at the back (so it runs at an angle to the font by the hinge point) and when the roof is pulled down it simply contracts and pull the sides in.
Simple easy and clean, and works really well. And you don't need any interior cords to pull the sides inwards.

mowerman

Adventurer
Maybe it's a UK, Oz, SA, rest of the world thing :)
Have a gander at the website on the front of the truck. There are vids showing the truck from when it was a toyota homoligation vehicle, through its mods and usage until its arrival in the UK

wuntenn

Adventurer
Hi mowerman - glad you enjoyed it. Yes I considered the method you mention, but decided against it for a couple of reasons - the clearance I have for the fabric to 'pull' inside was quite tight and I was concerned it might jam/tangle (as it turned out there is enough room!) and the other was in case the fabric was too 'flappy' in the wind and I could use the interior loops and elastic cords to tighten it to prevent it from keeping me awake! To be honest I'd probably do it the way you mention if I was doing it again!

Cost? Well the basic roof commercially supplied & fitted is between £6k and £8k depending on where you get it. Add the same again for supply and fitting cabinets and interior fittings, water tank and waste, plumbing, gas, sink etc and maybe £3k for fridge, lights, solar panels, controller, mains hookup, battery metering and split charge system etc so probably all in £20k or so, at the very least to get to the fully kitted stage. My total cost for ALL that is currently £3500. Included in that is payment to the ally welder for folding and welding the corners, and the tentmaker for the stitching of the sides.

The basic roof material alloy costs, and all fittings for it, stainless clips and hinge, roof rack bars, yacht hatch, fabric etc is about £1500. The rest is the fridge, solar set up, various metering and electrical system bits, plumbing mains hookup etc. payment to welder/tentmaker and all the small things like bolts and fastenings which all add up, also mastics and sealers can run pretty dear too.

It did eat a shedload of time as well though!

PS - was just watching the Toyota video on Youtube the other night - cool truck but I think this one is in a class of its own:

3087530.jpg

4395862.jpg

Last edited:

Rangie

Great to see you are still out and about enjoying the 110!
Shame that we've not crossed paths on our respective jaunts yet!

Alec.

dependencies

Observer
Actually can I ask a question

I won't hijack any further than this,
pneumatics,

is it possible are there any drawings or pictures of a roof being raised on air please (like the Toyota above)

(or am I on completely the wrong tack)

/hijack over

richard

wuntenn

Adventurer
Yes there's a video on the ExTec site of a pneumatic/hydraulic system pushing the roof up. Only snag is it is fitted in the centre of the rear door pushing up a front hinged roof and effectively blocks the back door.

The build thread for that Toyota I posted has a section on the hydraulics and construction around it. Cant recall where it is though. I think it has been posted in this site too so you might want to do a search.

wuntenn

Adventurer
Hi Alec - aye been out and enjoying it! Still 'constructing' bits of it - electrics etc but its pretty much all working and proving very practical.

How are things in the far north? Are you getting much time in the ambulance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke