Mallorca, Spain

Ronin01X

Hello, are there any fellow offroad enthusiasts on the island? I will once again be in Sencelles, Mallorca visiting my wifes family (July 2013) and was curious to know if there were any local contacts I can speak to about offroad outfits operating on the island. Thanks in advance!

Oliver

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi Oliver, I'll also be visiting in July staying in puerto pollenca, there is an island based 4x4 club but can't remember the club name at the mo.
try :http://www.4x4mallorca.com/index.html

I've explored many of the island tracks over the years in suzuki sj's however many of the tracks are now chained off.

hope you enjoy your visit.

regards

Gren

Ronin01X

Thanks for the info Gren. Beautiful countryside to explore. I looked into an outfit there that did full day combination excursion. Might give them a call once we get settled in. How may I ask did you manage to explore the island on the Suzuki. Did you take it upon yourself and go? Have any plans to go offroading while your there this time around? Hope you enjoy your visit as well. We regularly toy with the idea of just moving there we love it so much. Perhaps we'll run into you during our stay!

Oliver

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi Oliver,
we used to rent an SJ and go explore, we've been visiting a couple of times a years for 20yrs or so, my last venture off tarmac a few years ago resulted in the rental smart car going back on a trailer with a busted sump and a 250 euro bill.!.:oops:
I don't tend to go off exploring now as we have our usual haunts & I prefer to rent a smart to a 4x4 as they are so much fun.
my favourite places, cala tuent beach and restaurant Es Vergeret above the beach, both reached by my favourite road on the island - have a look on google maps.

we'd also love to move out there, when we first started visiting Pollenca I could have bought a holiday place on the pinewalk at a push, however there were only scheduled flights & now there's no way I can afford a finca in the north and the flights for our next trip only cost £120 bloody typical.

be nice to say hi & have a :beer:

regards

Gren

Last edited:

Ronin01X

Yes! I see now. Very true about that road. Does look like a lot of fun in a Smart Car. On my last visit we went to Soller, along with other fantastic locations, which looks like its just SW of Cala Tuent. Might need to be on the list this time around.

I must say, it took me a number of times to get through your message. The last time I had experienced the differences in "lingo" was when I was in the London/Tilbury/Gravesend area England about 13 years ago. I will be on the island from July 12-24th and Pollenca/Alcudia is definitely on our list. A pint with a fellow explorer would be very much welcomed.

sammyb

Hi Oliver

I visit Mallorca about 3 months a year due to work so know the island quite well.
Never really needed a 4x4 to get to places as there are limited places to go off road, Plus a carefully driven Citroen C3 diesel has managed to get me most places.

To get away from the main tourist crowd my favorite is Cala Torta near Arta, its almost a 4x4 track to get there.
Also
For the best lamb on the island head up to the "lamb restaurant" at Alaro, follow the signs for Alaro castle and follow a winding track half way up the mountain to a old farm house/restaurant. Best time to visit is a Thursday or Friday evening around 7 (they close at 8.30) you can also walk up to the castle (about 2 1/2hrs return) no English spoken just ask for Cordero (lamb ) and vino tinto de casa.
Mallorca is a great place for all outdoor sports.

Enjoy

sam

Ronin01X

Thanks for the info Sammyb, especially about the cordero. Its been at least 7 years since my last visit to the island and I remember it like it was yesterday. I had the most delicious braised goat shank from this restaurant on the east side of the island, in Porto Cristo if I remember correctly. Mouth is watering just thinking about it. Very excited to head out there again. It looks like Alaro is not too far from Sencellas either!

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi sam, nice job .. got one for me?:)

We stopped at the restaurant for drinks when we visited the castle last, as I remember we sat on mismatched plastic patio furniture, SWIMBO was up for lunch but we skipped.. will try it in july.

thanks for the tip.

Oliver we'll have to sort a time and place.

regards all
Gren

Gren_T

Adventurer
Hi Oliver

We are there on the 9th, wife is fretting that the smart car I rented is too small for her suitcase..Hmm !
be good to meet up, we don't have any particular plans etc so free anytime I'll pm you my mobile & email

Regards
Gren

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles