Mattress for sleeping platform?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I finally got around to building my platform:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/122999-Built-my-sleeping-platform!

My next question is, now that I have a platform, where can I get a decent mattress that will be comfortable to sleep on?

I'm looking for a foam mattress, 2 - 3" thick. Not interested in anything that needs to be inflated (been there, done that.)

What are folks using and where are you finding it?

Most of the "open cell" (your basic "couch stuffing" foam) is not dense enough, IOW, if I lay on it, it will compress completely. We have some kind of thick, dense foam in our Teardrop trailer, but I don't know what it's called and unfortunately all the labels have been removed.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

ab1985

Explorer
I need to make a set of cushions that will double as a mattress for my pop top. I have this link saved and will be using something in the 3" variety when I get around to it. You can get the same high density foam at a good fabric store. I just couldn't find the right dimensions for my modular system.

http://www.foamforyou.com/Open_Cell_Foam.htm

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I ultimately went with a chaise loung pad! $32 at Big Lots. 4" thick foam with a washable/waterproof cover. Should fold up nicely when I'm traveling (to go inside a black plastic trash bag) and this will help to keep it from getting too dusty.

ExploringNH

Explorer
A little late to the party but I just bought a 6" foam mattress: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G5RZIY for $130 shipped. I have slept on a 4" foam mattress before in the back of truck and it works well but I am hoping the 6" provides a little more padding. I haven't used it in the truck yet but I have it unfolded in the house. It seems like it will work well. I'll be using it as intended this weekend and will report back.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
A bit heavy and thick for my needs but it would work great in something like a teardrop. We actually have a mattress sort of like that in our teardrop and we love it. Very comfy!

mattiep11

Adventurer
Check out The Foam Factory in Flint, MI....best spot to buy memory,latex, normal and custom sizes ...I got a 3" thick (4lb density) $134 queen size, and it works great and is super soft for me and my lady..

www.thefoamfactory.com

java

Expedition Leader
IKEA mattress?

OK as the base, but pretty hard IMO. I have an ikea with 2.5" of memory on top. That works well for me.

I have a similar set up in my RTT. 2.5" of /higher/medium density ( i don't remember what it is) with 1.5" of perforated latex foam on top. The perforated is nice and soft, and allows for some airflow which is really nice

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
OK as the base, but pretty hard IMO. I have an ikea with 2.5" of memory on top. That works well for me.

I have a similar set up in my RTT. 2.5" of /higher/medium density ( i don't remember what it is) with 1.5" of perforated latex foam on top. The perforated is nice and soft, and allows for some airflow which is really nice

Good to know. I built my rear cargo drawers with the capability of being a sleep/cargo platform, and had been wondering how those matresses measure up. We actually have an un-used mattress at home (old kid bed) that we could utilize. What would you think about a couple of air mattresses either on top, or underneath?

java

Expedition Leader
Good to know. I built my rear cargo drawers with the capability of being a sleep/cargo platform, and had been wondering how those matresses measure up. We actually have an un-used mattress at home (old kid bed) that we could utilize. What would you think about a couple of air mattresses either on top, or underneath?

They arent bad for the price. And it really depends on the bed preferences. I like them a bit softer. The ikea ones do have a softer topper layer on one side. But the memory foam on top just makes sleeping nice.... I think I may have gotten the pieces I have from the online place listed above. It was something like that, online and cheap!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94