Max Tire no lift (sorry!)

Sorry to ask this annoying question again but Discount Tire is running a deal this weekend and I want to purchase the 235/85r16 BFG ATs but do no have my moog springs installed yet. I can save $175 in the tires if I buy now.

Question is will I be able to get away with using a tire that big for a couple weeks until I can get the springs installed and fender clearancing?

Thanks for the help and sorry to ask yet another Tire size question.

Edit to Add: it's a 2004 RB E350 with 5.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My other option is to buy tires AND wheels from them instead of using the factory wheels and save $100 through the promotion.

Not sure what wheel but that may be a better option as I can install the wheel/tire combo at a later date.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Pretty sure this was the tire size that was on my ambo when I bought it and they ran without issue. Of course mine only compares to yours in the front. I could fit bigger in the rear because of the ambo box, but my guess is the front is the only place you're concerned about anyway.

Thanks Tom and Happykamper!

After looking I can get $320 in visa gift cards if I buy the whole package. Since my stock wheels look like crap I will go with both tires and wheels.

Anything special I should worry about in wheels or as long as they are right lug pattern should I be ok. Backspacing super important on a van or is "0" ok?

I am looking at the Pro Comp 69 and Unique 267. Both show 8x165.1 at 0 back spacing.

Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
I just bought 16x9 wheels with 4.5" of backspacing and I needed flares to keep it from looking like a roller skate. I would think 0 backspace would give you a lot of exposed tire.

I just bought 16x9 wheels with 4.5" of backspacing and I needed flares to keep it from looking like a roller skate. I would think 0 backspace would give you a lot of exposed tire.

Ok, thanks for that. I am looking this all up on my phone so maybe I am missing an option for backspacing. Will look again when I get home.

86cj

Explorer
Sorry to ask this annoying question again but Discount Tire is running a deal this weekend and I want to purchase the 235/85r16 BFG ATs but do no have my moog springs installed yet. I can save $175 in the tires if I buy now.

Question is will I be able to get away with using a tire that big for a couple weeks until I can get the springs installed and fender clearancing?

I dont have info on your Ford E350 but ran that tire size for decades on several vehicles. I have found the street cornering and steering feel, to vastly improve when going to a 265-75-16, they are exactly the same height. I had to run them very hard as they tend to roll under the rim, this affects ride quality. I run 265's on the front of my dually and 235-85's on the rear, they would rub the sidewalls. There used to be some steel carcass old school 235-85's that had good steering feel, I don't think they are common anymore

You are getting wheels so you can start with a clean slate and do it once, you are not matching a wheel width etc...235-85 requires a narrow rim it might limit your wheel choices, look at the specs..

Yea they cut through slush well but a 265 works good in the winter too, your van is heavy enough to push the wider tire into the pavement..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I don't think a neutral backspace on a 9" rim will leave you hanging out too much with that tire. I'm running 12.5s in the front now on a 9" rim with only...3.25? 3.5? Don't remember exactly. They did hang out but not "that" bad. Your tires will be considerably narrower, still on a 9" rim, and with at least 1" more backspace than mine have.

Badback12

I'm jumping on the Discount Tire deal this weekend also. What brand have you decided on?

If you haven't bought the front springs yet, you should jump on the Agile RIP parts that just came up for sale.

I'm jumping on the Discount Tire deal this weekend also. What brand have you decided on?

If you haven't bought the front springs yet, you should jump on the Agile RIP parts that just came up for sale.

Going with BFG ATs and Pro Comp 69's. Now unsure of size! Lol

Using Bilstein shocks and Moog CC880 coils for a cheap lift.

Just for others future reference the 235/85's fit with no trimming required with the cc880 coils!

7d2c6d4a22e677762612420aaf53ef04.jpg
98fc7e67aae20cabc21b5b6580f951a0.jpg

caideN

Nice meaty tires! Looks pretty good but the rear looks so "tucked" in. Is there a reason why you didn't go with more negative spacing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94