Maya Rally Questions (But Maybe Not Answers)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
All right guys, here an update on what we are planning. I know many of you are getting anxious...please feel free to ask your questions/comments:

-Departure will be from your home, anytime you want...you can take any road you want, bring as many people as you can fit, drive alone or in a convoy! it's all up to you
-We will have stickers to put on your vehicle (optional) and possibly a license plate too - vintage style.
-We will have a participant package given to you that will include the final details and goodies.
-The scavenger lists will be release to you right before you leave. In order to avoid cheating (not that anyone would do that...) we will have multiple lists (3) depending on your departure date (Nov 30th, Dec 7th, Dec 14th).
-We will have an optional pre-party/gathering around Dec 14th, most likely around Guanuajuato/San Miguel.
-We will also have a few optional activities that will help gathering points.
-Most of the events/activities for the rally will happen between Guanuajuato and Guatemala.
-The rally is open to everyone, with any vehicle. There will also be a special class for "human-powered" transportation (bus, boat, train....)
-That said, there will also be special points to achieve things related to your specific vehicle class (2Wd, motorcycle, 4wd)
-NoLimitX is working on a killer location for the final party. The place will be open for a few days, so people can arrive earlier.
-To account for the fact that we don't have all the details yet but people needs to make plan, we have a fee structure that increase depending when you register. The earlier the cheaper...but unlike Burning Man, we should not be sold out...

:)

We are all super excited, but please understand that not all the details will be ready right now.
Details will trickle over the next weeks (and even months) as we finalized everything.

But regardless, you can be guaranteed a good time and lifetime memories!!!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
The last time I was out of country was pre 911. I know passports would be needed but what else? Also I have kids now, some aren't the fruit of my loins, so what kind of paperwork would be needed for them? How does the price and availability of fuel compare to the US? Any links that would answer my questions?

Triumphdog

Adventurer
Wait....Burning Man can be "sold out". How the heck does that work? It's in the middle of the desert for cryin out loud.

Triumphdog

Adventurer
Is it true fuel in Mexico is $2.79US a litre? And expected to rise throught 2012. If so, I might consider taking a prius and only going on "main" roads.

Funkweasel

Is it true fuel in Mexico is $2.79US a litre? And expected to rise throught 2012. If so, I might consider taking a prius and only going on "main" roads.

Looks like it is in the $2.79 per gallon range right now? http://www.mexicomike.com/database/runner/public/mx_fuel_prices_list.php I could be wrong.

Still....we'll be taking this....
56.jpg

....so I hope I'm right on the pricing!! :)

Funkweasel

Nice pirate ship!!!! I think you are right about gas. I mixed up litre and gallon in my equation. I might have to fly the Jolly Roger flag on this trip.

Heh, I think there'll be a non-small number of skulls displayed on this trip! Curious to see how many people have already signed up through the temporary link, and what the ferry pricing/details from Baja may be.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Heh, I think there'll be a non-small number of skulls displayed on this trip! Curious to see how many people have already signed up through the temporary link, and what the ferry pricing/details from Baja may be.

When I took the Baja ferry in early 2010 it was around $150 (IIRC) for a 1st Gen Tacoma. That was from La Paz to Topolobampo, Mexico.

Triumphdog

Adventurer
When I took the Baja ferry in early 2010 it was around $150 (IIRC) for a 1st Gen Tacoma. That was from La Paz to Topolobampo, Mexico.

http://www.mexbound.com/mexico-ferry.php
prices are in pesos
1 Mexican peso = 0.0786 US dollars

BE FOREWARNED - When traveling down the Baja peninsula you are in a special trade zone status, so that you do not pass through customs on the way down. HOWEVER, when you cross to the mainland, you will be formally entering Mexico proper. You will have to go through Customs before departing the ferry. Make sure you have the necessary permits to avoid fines. (from mexbound.com)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior