Maybe newbie canter guy

Jeffl

Hi everyone
New here, I don't normally do forums, I am the one who is not even on facebook! Yet here I am seeking your opinions and advice.
Thing is I am busting to get a truck to do the big lap of Aus and through the middle and back again.
And inspired by many of you on this site, from whom I have learned a lot, I am busting to go and do it.
So I am about to go and check out a Canter duel cab, it's a 97 model 3.9 turbo 180k km seems to have the lot fitted including atw coil spring suspension single wheels 2x winches huge tool box stratos seats etc etc.
Has a slide on camper which sits way taller than the cab by im guessing maybe 1500mm.
Could be the deal breaker as I am worried that could restrict where I may want to go.
On the other hand I like the idea of dropping the camper off and doing cape york.
Inspired by aussie iron, thanks Dan for your vidios.
Cape york is right up there on my bucket list, could do it in my BT50, thinking a Canter might be better.
Guess my questions are, will the height restrict me on the trips that I have not even planned yet?
And, the coil spring suspension set up, sounds good but maybe the truck could be too high and top heavy, should I be concerned. Are the coil springs up for it?
For sure someone has spent a bomb on this in the day, but should I be looking newer with parabolic springs?
Also while the camper is quite new, the truck is kinda old, though that could be a good thing!
Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Thanks Jeff.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Your not the only one that does not do Facebook believe me.

Earlier model Canter with Coil Suspension would be one of the better buys to have. I've not had any experience with coil suspension. Should be a really good ride and my belief is, it is probably not sitting taller than mine and there is no reason that it won't be as stable. Yes the Coils should well and truly be up to the task. Most certainly better option than parabolic's.

The tall camper will be a problem on some tracks that will be sure but if you are willing to travel to an area and unload it to explore the area then you may be able to make it work. The problem I have with that is you are back tracking to go and get your camp.

I'm glad the videos inspired you. I have a load more video to edit of our last two trips but our ongoing drought is leaving me short of time as feeding and watering cattle takes precedence.

Maybe the camper could be changed out to one that is more suitable - " just thinking " - " pop top ".

You could do it in your BT50 but a Canter will certainly be more fun and a lot more room.

Dan.

Jeffl

Hi Dan thanks for your reply
Yes I could change the camper, though the one thats on it now is worth more than the truck.
Or have a second slide on, then one would be home away from home,
The other home away from home away home! Hmmm
Anyway I'll go see it hopefully on Monday
Relieved about the suspension I had not seen that kind of conversation before on a truck.
Though I did convert my early i beam F100 to a jag front end. Huge improvement.
Hope all the farmers are managing with the drought, I know it's a tough gig.
Regards
Jeff

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have an ATW coil conversion on my FG84, and yes, it does sit higher than any parabolic Canter I have seen. Turns more heads than a standard Canter too; that I can guarantee you.
The ride with the coils is similar to parabolics, but much softer when you hit a sharp bump. A notable difference is that the coils are not progressive, so other than the ride height, changing the weight on the back makes very little difference in the ride quality. With parabolics, or any leaf spring setup, you need to match the springs to the load, or you won't get an ideal ride.

Most full sized campers I have seen on a Canter/Isuzu have not been more than about 800mm higher than the cab (which I still think is a lot).
1500mm above the cab seems really excessive. I don't know if I would want that much weight up high on an undulating, off road track.

Jeffl

Thanks skifreak
I might have to do a "Moose test" though if I broke it I'd probably have to buy it!
Might be good if I could buy it without the camper.
Thanks again
Jeff

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I assume that other ATW coil conversions are similar to mine, and if that's true, that kind of test could result in some serious sphincter tightening.
One concern I have with my setup is the amount of front suspension travel before encountering the bump stop. On mine there is about 150mm of free travel, which means that there can be significant nose dive under heavy breaking.
Interested in hearing your opinion of the coil setup after doing the test drive.

MJCake1

Welcome to the forum. Your not the only one that does not do Facebook believe me.

Earlier model Canter with Coil Suspension would be one of the better buys to have. I've not had any experience with coil suspension. Should be a really good ride and my belief is, it is probably not sitting taller than mine and there is no reason that it won't be as stable. Yes the Coils should well and truly be up to the task. Most certainly better option than parabolic's.

The tall camper will be a problem on some tracks that will be sure but if you are willing to travel to an area and unload it to explore the area then you may be able to make it work. The problem I have with that is you are back tracking to go and get your camp.

I'm glad the videos inspired you. I have a load more video to edit of our last two trips but our ongoing drought is leaving me short of time as feeding and watering cattle takes precedence.

Maybe the camper could be changed out to one that is more suitable - " just thinking " - " pop top ".

You could do it in your BT50 but a Canter will certainly be more fun and a lot more room.

Dan.
Hi Dan,
Where are your videos located, YouTube?

MJCake1

I have an ATW coil conversion on my FG84, and yes, it does sit higher than any parabolic Canter I have seen. Turns more heads than a standard Canter too; that I can guarantee you.
The ride with the coils is similar to parabolics, but much softer when you hit a sharp bump. A notable difference is that the coils are not progressive, so other than the ride height, changing the weight on the back makes very little difference in the ride quality. With parabolics, or any leaf spring setup, you need to match the springs to the load, or you won't get an ideal ride.

Most full sized campers I have seen on a Canter/Isuzu have not been more than about 800mm higher than the cab (which I still think is a lot).
1500mm above the cab seems really excessive. I don't know if I would want that much weight up high on an undulating, off road track.
I agree with the height, 1500mm no thanks.
Got any pics and videos Ski?

MJCake1

Hi everyone
New here, I don't normally do forums, I am the one who is not even on facebook! Yet here I am seeking your opinions and advice.
Thing is I am busting to get a truck to do the big lap of Aus and through the middle and back again.
And inspired by many of you on this site, from whom I have learned a lot, I am busting to go and do it.
So I am about to go and check out a Canter duel cab, it's a 97 model 3.9 turbo 180k km seems to have the lot fitted including atw coil spring suspension single wheels 2x winches huge tool box stratos seats etc etc.
Has a slide on camper which sits way taller than the cab by im guessing maybe 1500mm.
Could be the deal breaker as I am worried that could restrict where I may want to go.
On the other hand I like the idea of dropping the camper off and doing cape york.
Inspired by aussie iron, thanks Dan for your vidios.
Cape york is right up there on my bucket list, could do it in my BT50, thinking a Canter might be better.
Guess my questions are, will the height restrict me on the trips that I have not even planned yet?
And, the coil spring suspension set up, sounds good but maybe the truck could be too high and top heavy, should I be concerned. Are the coil springs up for it?
For sure someone has spent a bomb on this in the day, but should I be looking newer with parabolic springs?
Also while the camper is quite new, the truck is kinda old, though that could be a good thing!
Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Thanks Jeff.
Facebook HELL NO!
Good luck and wait for the right truck setup so you don't have any regrets. Take it to the LORD!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles