MB Actros 6x6 Camper

egn

Adventurer
Hi,

I hope I am not wrong here with something that is a bit bigger than the largest Mog, but is a MB truck:
1e233a585e.jpg

This beauty was build for a friend at the same builder as mine. You find more information and images at http://www.globallinking.de/57.0.html .

Originally the truck was used to haul trailers. The wheelbase has been extended to cover the length of the cabin.

End of last year they where already in the Sahara. This was not the ideal place for this beast. This was build mainly to go on rough roads and occasional off-road.

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
Way cool, travel vehicle.

It sort of reminds me of some of the Volvo Globetrotters in Sweden with all the winter lights on top (6 Hella Ralle 4000's)

I would love it with more HP and a support trailer for a 4x4 then I think it would be on the top of the top five list. What are the two smaller tires on the back for ?, a towed vehicle ?? or to help get those spares up. I see a shackle and pins on the back but it does not appear clear how the lift works.

The shower is way cool, better than my home. The control center is so German.

This and a diesel G wagon ..... :oops: just sold everything I own in my mind then, and was heading off.

egn

Adventurer
OS-Aussie said:
I would love it with more HP and a support trailer for a 4x4 then I think it would be on the top of the top five list. What are the two smaller tires on the back for ?, a towed vehicle ?? or to help get those spares up. I see a shackle and pins on the back but it does not appear clear how the lift works.

The smaller wheels are spares for a quad that is inside.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
egn said:
The smaller wheels are spares for a quad that is inside.

Does the Quad come out the side (like the model below) I'd guess this way

img_039.jpeg

or is it lowered like this one?

lowered.jpeg

Those are awesome trucks you and your friend have ! :bowdown:

Robthebrit

Explorer
OS-Aussie said:
I would love it with more HP...

Isn't 12liters, 500hp and nearly 1500 ft/lb of torque enough? i wouold think its fairly quick as it only weights 45000 pounds which is far less than Actros is made to pull and given its max speed is 90km/h (56mph) I am not sure what more power would get you, it probably already holds is speed everywhere it goes.

Rob

It probably actually weighs 38-40000, about 1.5 times my U500. It has double the torque and double the road gears, so it should accelerate quicker. My max speed is 110 kph, however, although my self-imposed max is 97-98 kph.
Not nearly the crawling ability, however.

Charlie

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
my bad read the tag line and confused the specs.

500 is enough, but only 90kmph ????

My old ISL 8.9 with 400hp was able to do decent highway speed with the Jeep on the trailer behind.

S5300002.JPG

This was the old setup before I sold it last year, nothing like flushing money away every time you use it, and then selling it.
It did also look a bit funny with the Jeep and Adventure trailer on the trailer behind it.

I am guessing some deep gears and very good grade climbing with 2000 NM of torque. Still a great setup up and way better than a Class A for true Expedition trips.

OS-Aussie said:
my bad read the tag line and confused the specs.

500 is enough, but only 90kmph ????

My old ISL 8.9 with 400hp was able to do decent highway speed with the Jeep on the trailer behind.

There is a very good reason for the speed limitation. 14.00 and 16.00R20 XZLs are rated for only 55 mph. Blowouts on large tires at 70 mph are unpleasant and can lead to catastrophes.
395/85R20 XZLs are originally rated at 55 but have a modified speed rating at 70 with decreased load and increased psi for a given load. There are 3 speed/load ratings for this size: 168G, 161J, 158K.
For the 14.00R20 XZL, they are rated at 160G, also at 164F, which is 50 mph with 550 lb extra load/tire. But there is no higher speed rating for the 14s and 16s.
The tires on my U500 are the 158Ks but I won't drive over 60 mph except on downhill grades; call me paranoid/cautious.
If one will settle for highway tread tires they can be obtained in higher speed ratings in certain sizes, but not in the 14-16R20 range.

Charlie

Robthebrit

Explorer
The tires are one factor but thats fixable, the main reason is European speed limits and inspections, big trucks all over europe are limited to 55mph/90kmh and by law they have tacographs to log everything so there is no point is trying to sneak past 55. The tacos are checked at inspection stations, random checks and if there is any accident or if you are pulled over. Its a very different world for big trucks outside the US.

These speed laws are why Americans consider Unimogs to be slow, they are simply not allowed to go any faster in Europe so why put the effort in. All european made trucks are going to be limited to around 60mph.

Rob

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
ok, I have been on the autobahn with them going much faster than that. Not Mogs however. Tachographs also have ways around them, you should see what happens when they get some insect screen or are not changed.....

Besides that I agree mass x velocity is potentially a big disaster. Time and place for a lot of things, not where you place others needlessly at risk.

The most scary thing I have seen is 11 interstate overnight express trucks (semi - 18 wheelers) nose tail slip streaming at about 120kmph at 1am. (I do mean nose tail, maybe 4-6 feet).

Australia has had a speed limited law for some time and trucks display a speed limited sign on the back, funny how often you see then in excess of that signed speed.

Most laws are only obeyed by lawful people, hence a large after market for off-road only items. (like the 250kmph speed limited Euro cars, flash it's gone)

Then again I have been past by trucks (lorries) in England also, which where going faster than my little rental cars. (I guess older trucks, pre-law ??)

Everywhere is different and so is the expectations of travel and travel time. There are many European roads where there is no need or reason for much speed at all. You can drive across a few countries in the same time it takes you to leave one state in the USA or Australia.

I would consider that speed danger with trucks is also multiplied with the rampant use of stimulant drugs to achieve the distance totals they need. We should also consider that not all trucks are suited to higher speeds, just like our 4x4's.

How about we get back to the original topic of the way cool Benz camper......

So what is the big disadvantage of this in the Sahara ? It's got heaps of power and torque, big tires that should allow a good air down, all I can think is the break over angle, but not all the Sahara is dunes......

egn

Adventurer
The quad comes out of the side.

The truck is electronically speed limited by german law to 88 km/h. All newer trucks are required to have this. The maximum speed on reads by law is 80 km/h. The 8 km/h are tolerated because in some european countries there is a speed limit of 90 km/h. Actually most trucks drive the 88 km/h with small tolerance below and above. This often causes the so called elephant races on autobahn where the 1 km/h faster trucks overtake an block lanes for faster traffic for a very long time. BTW, my truck is not limited because it is ex-military and to old for electronic. ;)

Regarding the tyres, higher speed is no problem, especially if they are Michelins. The load on the Michelins is way below the capability so you can go with higher speed without damaging them. At Dakar rally they go more than 160 km/h with them. Of course, they don't have to last that long. :)

Yes, the break over angle is a problem and the weight. If you drive down a dune and annother one starts immediately then you are in problems. This happend a few times and this damaged the boxes below the rear considerably and the cabin. For this high weight it would be much better to have 16.00R20 to have more area. Reducing the tyres pressure is possible only to some extend.

rhodos

Observer
Hi Emil,

nice to see a fellow from the ALG Forum here :)

tschuess, Werner

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94