Mechanical preperation plan, Critique required. How much is too much?

Ambulando

Hello all. I'd really appreciate your thoughts/critique my plans with regards to preparing my truck mechanically for longterm global travel later this year.
My vehicle is probably unfamiliar to the majority here, a 1996 Renault Messenger 2.5 turbo diesel. Fully mechanical Iveco engined, beam axled, very basic machine (ideal for me).

I bought it almost a year ago and I've been putting it to the test to assess its mechanical condition while I fit out the living quarters, and overall I've been very pleased indeed. It's covered 200,000km with at least one loving owner in its past, doesn't use oil and pulls very well. Brakes are rebuilt, suspension is indestructible leafsprung beam axles in good order. The turbo began making a very light noise indicating worn bearings so I currently have the turbo on the bench to receive new heavy duty upgraded 360° bearings and new seals. It also has a slight leak from the crankshaft seal.

Because I'm planning to go far and want absolute reliability I plan to pull the engine and rebuild it. Here's what I'm thinking:

-Remove and strip down cylinder head, clean, skim, replace valve stem seals, lap in the valves.
-Strip down bottom end, clean, replace main bearings, all seals and gaskets, replace piston rings and hone bores, renew core plugs.
-New water pump, cam belt and tensioners, ancillary belt, oil and fuel filters and fluids (including gearbox and differential).

Now considering the engine is showing no signs of real wear, but has covered 200,000km, is this too much? For instance, I'm replacing the piston rings not because they're worn but because I'm 'in there' and might as well. Is that overcautious? Same goes for the main bearings. Too much or might as well? Assuming I don't find any obvious signs of wear, what else would you do just for the sake of it?

Conversely, are you in the 'get a grip and don't fix it if it ain't broke' camp, thinking I should just do what is needed and take a gasket set and a few parts with me? What would you scratch off that list? I do have to be careful with expenditure but I don't want to cut any corners.

I ask these questions because after seeing plenty of accounts of people who just kicked the tyres on some old yoke, packed a bag, set off and had an amazing adventure, I'm highly conscious of the idea that I might be one of those people who spends his life in his overalls taking readings and checking torque settings in his shed instead of swimming with dolphins with the beautiful people.
Please help me strike the balance so I can have a trouble free adventure.

My OCD does not allow me to kick the ties and roll. I need to know my vehicle and be able to trust it. 200,000km is considerable. I think you are doing the right thing. Seals and gaskets with a good overall inspection and if it looks good then go ahead with rings and bearing. You may find it has some wear and needs machining and if you had continued on the original path you would have met failure sooner than later. It is easier to repair or bring back to spec now rather in the middle of nowhere.

mezmochill

Is outside
If you've got the time and money to rebuild the engine go for it.

It sounds as if it will give you peace of mind. Thats worth something in and of itself. Especially when in countries where you don't speak the language and are in the middle of nowhere.

Go luck and interesting travels.(y)

MarcusBrody

You're obviously a much better mechanic than me, but I'd just make sure that you do the rebuild with enough time to put a good number of miles on it afterwards. You don't want to find out that something was left loose 2000 miles into your journey as it works free.

But I'm the type that drives a car around for a week after doing the brake rotors and pads before the wife is allowed back to using it despite never once having an issue. We all have our points of over cautiousness.

Ambulando

Thank you for the replies, I'm very glad I asked here.
Good to know overcautiousness isn't necessarily a bad thing with the intended use, and yes I hadn't properly factored in the value of the peace of mind a thorough rebuild will give me. Also, getting to know the engine is something I will gain once the rebuild is completed, I am far more used to dealing with petrol engines so it will be valuable experience as stated.
Excellent point about giving time to shake down the vehicle after the rebuild and the running in time, I had completely overlooked that! Adjusted my schedule accordingly.
Thanks again for the sober advice and safe travels to all.

freedrive

I don't know this particular engine, every design has its strong and week points, but if I were worried about ultimate reliability, after a full overhaul like that, I would put AT LEAST 2000 mi on that engine before expecting hi reliability. Touching stuff is one of the major causes of failure.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you are going to tear that far into a diesel, don't forget injection system components. A failure in the high pressure unit or an injector will cripple you long before a worn main bearing or even piston ring. I would focus on injection and timing and put really good oil in the bottom with a new pan gasket and main seal and not look back. I'm also rarely more than 2000 miles from home... So your risk profile might differ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste