Meet the Trot'n Turtle - Unimog U1300L Build

Some pics from NW Mogfest 2017, What a Blast!! We camped for 5 days and stayed for the total solar eclipse. Lots of great rigs and awesome people. Can't wait to go back next year!

About 650 miles total and the truck did great, just sat back and cruised at Mog Speed :)

Rolling towards Mogfest. The cab isn't to loud but on long trips I wear earplugs with the windows down.

Made it to Mogfest and Hodaka camp is set up, dad and I were up early.

Lots of cool rigs at Mogfest

Watching the start of the total solar eclipse

Hodaka Wife trying out a Unimog SEE Backhoe in the woman's backhoe competition.

Even seen Bob Ross down by the Pit. lol

Group shot with our friends....Fun Stuff

And if you'd like to visit Mogfest for 30 minutes and get a better feel of the event you can watch the video I made up from my drone footage.....30 Minutes Of Mogfest 2017.

Hodakaguy

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I never thought about it until you just mentioned wearing ear plugs when driving with the windows down. I guess that thing doesn't have air conditioning, does it? Is it offered as an option?

Excellent job on the pictures and the video is awesome!!

That location is perfect and has a little of everything. I did find this about it: http://www.northwestmogfest.com/

That's the kind of event I enjoy, not too big and not too small, with a lot to do and see.

Last edited:
I never thought about it until you just mentioned wearing ear plugs when driving with the windows down. I guess that thing doesn't have air conditioning, does it? Is it offered as an option?

Excellent job on the pictures and the video is awesome!!

That location is perfect and has a little of everything. I did find this about it: http://www.northwestmogfest.com/

That's the kind of event I enjoy, not too big and not too small, with a lot to do and see.

Yeah the event was awesome, lots of great people and cool rigs to look at. No AC in the mog although there are a couple aftermarket options, I just get a cold drink, roll down the windows and head out :)

Hodakaguy

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yeah the event was awesome, lots of great people and cool rigs to look at. No AC in the mog although there are a couple aftermarket options, I just get a cold drink, roll down the windows and head out :)

Hodakaguy

Back when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, we had something called '2-40 Air Conditioning' in our automobiles. You put both windows down and drove at least 40 mph!

:smiley_drive:

FJOE

Adventurer
Back when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, we had something called '2-40 Air Conditioning' in our automobiles. You put both windows down and drove at least 40 mph!
There still is! I got the 3-45 in my T100 (sliding back glass)!!!

Ear plugs on the road sound just like driving the military Gamma Goat. That ugly creature had a Detroit '53 series diesel just behind the driver's head, and with only a canvas cab for noise reduction, it came with a hearing protection warning on the dash. The 'goats had a fairly short military life - they were supposed to float, the engine had to be removed to access some lube points, and they were a real PITA to climb in and out of. Most of the leftovers wound up on firing ranges as targets, with some going to the US Forest Service, and very few being surplussed to the public. Only a few wound up in military museums.

Here in Australia, 2 axles only needs a Medium Rigid licence, but as soon as one goes to 3 axles, one needs a Heavy Rigid licence but the killer is that: the insurance/rego suddenly goes through the roof. I have heard of horror stories where the rego was simply unaffordable. If I could find a 6x6 at a good price, I'd be removing the centre axle, as its not doing much for motor home usage (not as if one is hauling a 1000 tonne train around) but the longer frame could have benefits.

Jason, from memory, he welded it up the ladder frame, its worth reading the full build, he and his dad made and welded some awesome fabrications

It starts with this post. The whole thread is worth reading. He puts a lot of detail in his posts.

Jason, from memory, he welded it up the ladder frame, its worth reading the full build, he and his dad made and welded some awesome fabrications
Starting on side ladders today.

First up headed to a friends house to bend some 1.25" tubing for the side rails...Man I need to get a bender, soooo many things I could build.

Notching tubing for the steps

Steps and mount plates

Two of the mounting bolts will go through the rear double lip and have lock nuts on the rack, the rest are set with rivet nuts.

And one rail in place, more to come tomorrow.

Hodakaguy