Melted headlight harness. Maybe time for LED bulbs.

bluebear

Observer
I have a '94 Pajero, or Montero SR. Twice I've replaced the left headlight bulb and this time noticed the harness or socket has shorted and melted between two pins. Probably the problem all along.

I reinstalled seemingly burnt bulb and it was very dimly lit for a moment before I pulled it out so must have been the problem all along.

I'm assuming moisture got it there and shorted it out, or the connection was poor so it just saw too much resistance and melted causing the short. There was some mud splashed right up in the socket.

While I replace the harness I was thinking maybe it's time to just replace the lights with LED bulbs as they're similar price bought as a pair and the lighting on this sucks anyways. Anybody try LEDs or can recommend a decent brand that they're happy with? Any fitment issues? The heat sinks on some are large and the right side bulb is already nearly touching the air intake.

Any thoughts or tips? Thanks.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bluebear

Observer
Is there anything adherently wrong with the led bulbs or are they illegal in most places.

I'll just stick to replacing the socket. I'll save the upgrades for my SWB diesel.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have a mint pair of gen 2.5 headlights with bulbs sitting on the shelf, message me if you want to light up your life!

RyanY

Adventurer
The only thing I disagree with in Shovel's wonderfully accurate and comprehensive post is that LED lighting in OEM-designed headlamps has come a long way in the last few years, and a headlamp that has been designed and engineered from the outset with LEDs is not nearly as awful as an LED conversion in a lamp housing that was originally designed for halogen bulbs.

evomaki

Observer
Excellent info from Shovel. Does that logic apply to aftermarket driving lights? What is one to do there? I personally hate the intense blue white look. Something about that is disturbing to the eye and not just from a brightness standpoint. I say that from a perspective of seeing that from an oncoming vehicle but I'm sure same applies from inside the vehicle. Everything seems to be going LED. Just curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94