Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Looks good Simon, maybe you should build the shed first so that you can build the truck, then live in the truck whilst you build the house. :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Ha! That was talked about, but the wonderful Barossa Council have a rule where you can't put a shed on a block until there is planning in for the house! Not only that... if we do that the house will never get done, and I'd probably end up single again!!

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
skinned on the outside with alli or steel, 50mm kingspan insulation pushed in between the steelwork, and then finished with 12mm marine ply or laminate.
That sounds very heavy. 12mm Ply? Do you mean 1.2mm?
Also if you have a metal outer skin attached to steelwork - that will create cold bridges to the inside (or hot bridges in Aus).

corrupt

Observer
Very nice wall. I dont know what a truck like yours goes for but im sure its paid a chunk of its self off already building that wall.

Sitec

Adventurer
New boots on!

So, whilst pricing up new tyres with a wider luggy footprint to go on the Alloys I have, I also trawled thru Gumtree.. I managed to find a set of 8 315/80 R22.5 Goodyear Omnitrac tyres that have come of the rear of a large 8x4 Mercedes Concrete Pump Truck. They have had minimal use, have a wide footprint and are approx 40mm taller than the 10:00 R20's. They were a lot cheeper than new. Already sat on good steel rims, the deal was done and the 8 wheels arrived yesterday. They're now on the 1222 MK, and have given it a much better look. Once the crane and tray are sold I'll be able to set the vehicle up with a small lift as per the 'Heavy Off Road' AK's, and then body building can start. I still don't have a shed (or a house for that matter as Rivergum Homes are about as much use as tits on a bull), and I need the crane for shed erection so for now it will be staying as it is! image.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
From the front..

Certainly a wider footprint!! Now to find somewhere to see where it'll go! image.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Told the wife that the body is done and I'm off!!! Her reply was 'wait for me'!!! Porta cabin relocation for work. Tempted to leave it on there tho!! :)
image.jpg

Hey guys, does anyone know a statusupdate on this?

I'll drop Sitec a line, would be interesting to see his progress. I'm planning on a similar build with a Merc 1017, 1222, 1224 basevehicle

Sitec

Adventurer
Progress... Or the lack of!

Hi fella. So very little has happened on the truck front, as we have been finally 'finishing off' the house and surrounds. We've had a visit from the inlaws, who left this morning. I can now get back into building the shed and then starting on the truck. Just at the stage of collecting bits and finalising the size. The original plan was a 5m body, but we are thinking of changing the bed layout at the back, and going along the lines of the pic attached, which means the body would become 5.5m +/-... Also picked up the generator a few months back... A Honda EU70is... Overkill I know, but it runs the house and shed in the event of a blackout or bush fire... Both of which seem to be happening more of late!

image.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Here's another pic of the same truck, looking in from the living area... Two single mattress with access in the middle, making the space of a double when lying across the truck if chosen... It means we both have our 'own space' but neither has to clamber over the other to get out... Not sure who owns this vehicle, but it has a nice layout!

image.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Progress....

So after a lot of measuring, head scratching and costing, I made a purchase today... There has been a mine spec truck/bus body for sale for over a year now locally to me... I have visited it, photographed it, measured it and pondered it 3 times over the past year, as it is beautifully built, and comes with a full engine driven AC system and 18 leather seats! The original reason I decided against it was because it was too long, and not wide enough for my truck. Since then, we have redesigned our layout, and added 500mm (19.75") to our original plan, making the body length 6m (236"). This eliminated one 'cut' on the body in question as it is exactly 6m (236") long. The next prob is the fact that it is only 2.15m (84.5") wide, whereas our truck is the standard 2.5 m (98.5") wide. I thought widening it would be a daft plan, but on my last visit I had a closer look with that in mind. The roof has a central sheet running up the length of the body which is rivited. This could be duplicated but wider. The floor has to come out and be lowered as there's not quite enough standing room inside, and I have to make a new floor with 3 point mounting to suit my chassis so this would be coming out anyway. With this in mind, today I made the current owner a low blow offer expecting to laughed out of the water. He added $1000 AU on and said 'what do you think'? I replied 'give me a week to think about it' at which point he deducted $500 and a deal was done! I now own the body pictured, and have the job of getting it home... oh, and breaking the news to Wifetec! AV body 2.jpgAV body 1.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Congratulations. It looks like it will work well for you and you have a solid plan.
And great job on the haggling. Everything is always better, when cheaper.
I am glad you can get back to the more important stuff, like your truck :agree:

GoldCloverLeaf

Nice find. And as you would know with anything mine spec they are generally built to a standard, not a price! That air conditioner would have cost more than the asking price alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94