Mercedes-Benz G500 4×4²

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
http://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-mercedesbenz-g500-44-is-a-chunky-offroader-with-a-silly-name/

What you’re looking at here is a four-wheeled version of the bombastic Mercedes G63 6x6. ‘But wait!’ I hear you cry. ‘Doesn’t that just make it a regular G-Class?’ Not quite. Other than the obvious extra pair of wheels, the 6x6 is blessed with all sorts of hardcore modifications over the regular G, including a considerably higher ground clearance, massive wheels shod in chunky off-road tyres (with arch extensions to suit) and portal axles. And all of that extreme off-road clobber features on this: the G500 4×4².

Once you get over the fact that Four-by-Four-Squared is a hopelessly rubbish name for a car, this all seems like a jolly good idea. Having myself witnessed a G63 6x6 struggling to manoeuvre out of the car park of a swanky Knightsbridge hotel, it’s quite clear the vehicle’s massive size makes it a bit of a faff for the real world. With the G500 Four-by-Four-Squared, you’d have similar terrain bashing ability without the size issues of the 6x6.

However, another aspect you don’t get - as you might gather from the ‘G500’ in the name - is a turbocharged 5.5-litre AMG V8. Instead, this new G makes do with a naturally aspirated version sporting a more modest (but still pokey) 416bhp.

The 4×4² will say a rather imposing hello at next month’s Geneva motorshow. It’s officially being dubbed as a ‘show car’ for now, but a production run seems likely.

mercedes-4x4-2-54e354eb3e5eb.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-1.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-2.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-3.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-4.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-5.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-6.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-7.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-8.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-9.jpg

mercedes-benz-g500-4x4-10.jpg

Last edited:

LeTechUSABill

Observer
But sales in the US not likely.

For sure very unlikely but we can build virtually the same vehicle, right now, right here in the US. I have all of the parts on hand to build one right away. Portal axles with brakes, and the fender flares. Working on some 20" non bead locking wheels if desired as well.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Combine this new G with the entdecker package and you have the ultimate vehicle.

Last edited:

LeTechUSABill

Observer
45cm of ground clearance!

I have this completely unjustifiable desire for those portals. . .

Completely justifiable the first time you come up to a 17.5" rock in the middle of the road!

I have a complete Portal conversion kit here ready to go! Same brand of Portals on the 4 x 4²! Whenever you are ready! :)

CityBoyAtl

Adventurer / Globetrotter
I think what has me so captivated by that last video, aside from the awesome portals and wheels, is the complete absence of any rattles or creaks inside the cab. All you can hear is the conversation and the jacket fabric the video operator is wearing. very cool.

LeTechUSABill

Observer
Need to find out who makes those beadlocks. They look different from the Hutchinsons.

The all black bead lock wheels on these actually are Hutchinsons but the are propitiatory to Mercedes Benz and LeTech. They will only work on a Portal axle because it is 8 lug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles