Mercedes Overland Building/Tuning

RoamIt

New alternator/starter/belts/batteries charged back up- It's alive!

One of my neighbors came over and said "what is that beast?" I'm not sure he gets the whole overlanding thing.

Neil

Observer
Does the cab not lift more than that.

Does it not go past the point of non return .

Access looks tight , and dare I say it a bit dangerous, having had my cab lift hydraulics fail on me .

Neil

RoamIt

Does the cab not lift more than that.

Does it not go past the point of non return .

Access looks tight , and dare I say it a bit dangerous, having had my cab lift hydraulics fail on me .

Neil
When Terra Exp showed me the cab lift, that's as far as we went. I have pumped it until the mechanism started started giving me difficult feedback, so as far as I know this is the limit for a doka. I don't have a frame of reference really other than the pic Mog posted of another doka.

What you can't see in that pic is the 2x6 board AND a 2" square tube with .25" wall thickness also propping up the cab. (y)
High on the list is a fitted (and seriously robust) prop rod that I'll anchor on the rear cab mount, then to the back of the cab when lifted. It will be out of the way and won't get bumped into. Lower on the list is a way to press a button to lift the cab!

And the access to the front of the engine is indeed tight, I thought there would be more room. But there's no way to get to the tension wheel locking nut for the air compressor without laying on top of the engine. Was hoping to get through the front, but IC/Rad is in the way, and can't reach from underneath.

Neil

Observer
Agreed, Looks very tight and awkward. I must admit I haven't actually seen a double cab tipped, so maybe it's correct.
My point of reference was the single cabs which really tip over, completely out of the way .

I think adding an extra prop for safety is a wise move

Neil

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
For the tension nut I am able to get it from the passenger side by coming in with a long open end wrench from behind the belt on the top. Only get a little movement for each turn but it goes quickly once you get the feel.

RoamIt

I tried that, struggled with it trying to work around the belts and hard lines. I didn't even know it was there at first :rolleyes: My search for a shop manual continues...

I was laying on the top of the engine trying to figure out why it wasn't releasing as I had loosened the top adjusting lock bolt when I found the lower bolt. A stubby ratchet made quick work of it, but awkward laying on the engine for sure. I had tossed a heavy moving blanket on top first, so a little padding.

RoamIt

Thanks! I bought it. I had bought the disc's before, but one disc was blank. No support by seller :( Hopefully this one works!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Thanks! I bought it. I had bought the disc's before, but one disc was blank. No support by seller :( Hopefully this one works!
Mine was a download, rather large files so need a fast connection. But all went well and the seller responded to questions.

RoamIt

Yes, took a while to download. Went through 3 pages of instructions to unzip, set up virtual box etc., then would not start due to 'invalid settings'. Tried to change the settings, but the OK button would not highlight to accept the setting changes :rolleyes:

I took screen shots and reached back out to the seller, hopefully he can trouble shoot it with me. Like everything else, I'll figure it out eventually (y)

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Yes, took a while to download. Went through 3 pages of instructions to unzip, set up virtual box etc., then would not start due to 'invalid settings'. Tried to change the settings, but the OK button would not highlight to accept the setting changes :rolleyes:

I took screen shots and reached back out to the seller, hopefully he can trouble shoot it with me. Like everything else, I'll figure it out eventually (y)
If the seller doesn't get back feel free to email the screen shots @ VerMonsterRV@outlook.com. We should be able to get things working.

RoamIt

Seller said to try reloading the whole thing. So I'll delete is all and try again. If that does not work, I'll send you screen shots of the errors.

Thanks for any help, I was a little put off by having to install multiple new, unfamiliar software programs on my computer. Thought, I'd just be unzipping files.

RoamIt

Well, was working on my old 911 today, but the truck kept staring at me. So I took it out to the mall, because, you know, perfect mall cruiser kinda rig. Ran great, no issues, until I was coming off the highway on the way back.

Lots of hissing and the air tank looking light thingy on the dash lit up. In addition, the second gauge pointer on the air pressure gauge dropped to zero :oops:
So, thought I was going to lose my brakes. Luckily, it stopped. Once I started moving again, the air pressure came back up, light went off.

But the rest of the way back to home, there was obvious leaking of air when using the brakes, but I was able to stop. So I'll have to track down the leak, I'll probably just replace all the lines.

Alloy

Well, was working on my old 911 today, but the truck kept staring at me. So I took it out to the mall, because, you know, perfect mall cruiser kinda rig. Ran great, no issues, until I was coming off the highway on the way back.

Lots of hissing and the air tank looking light thingy on the dash lit up. In addition, the second gauge pointer on the air pressure gauge dropped to zero :oops:
So, thought I was going to lose my brakes. Luckily, it stopped. Once I started moving again, the air pressure came back up, light went off.

But the rest of the way back to home, there was obvious leaking of air when using the brakes, but I was able to stop. So I'll have to track down the leak, I'll probably just replace all the lines.

Dump valve for the air (if it has one) dryer might be sticking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior