Merkabah: MB 2626 AK 6x6 tipper to expedition truck conversion

pairospam

Observer
Jostt:

The bloody though amazing gearbox is one big piece of steel; the bolts, the nuts, the bearings and the pins are stuck like concrete after fourty years of being together. To replace the broken synchronizer ring I have to disassemble the box separating the transmission case from the planetary housing. To do that, I must remove the intermediate gear that is held in place by a huge pin, so far very difficult to extract... but I am trying.

16423.jpg
16437.jpg
16441.jpg

Dear Neil:

Thanks a lot for your kind offer. Please hug Pat for me.

A friend from Germany has the spares that I need, but he, as many people in Europe and probably we too in a very near future, cannot move from home to get them to the courier office.

If I find a spare in England I will surely give you a call.

Greetings.

Pairoa

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Pairoa. Looks like you are having a lot of fun.... not! If you are 100% sure the pin comes out backwards, then maybe try this... Picture attached. Make a plate to bolt to the front of the gearbox (yellow line in picture), and then use a hydraulic bottle jack or threaded rod through the 'yellow' plate in the 'red' area. Once you have the 'press' set up, then weld an M16 nut on the other end of the pin (where you pulled it from before). Make a slide hammer using 20mm rod and big washers. Screw the large slide hammer into the nut welded on the shaft. With pressure from the other side of the pin, use the slide hammer to start the pin moving. Once it moves add more pressure to the other side and then slide hammer again. It should move. Good luck!

Press idea..jpg

Jostt

Adventurer
the gearbox of my mog is a toy compare whit this peace of metal, now I understand, one of the syncros is damage...thanks for the pics, here in Spain is all close but corrier is still working, I dont know for how many time...good luck

NICHY

[QUOTE = "pairospam, publicación: 2762897, miembro: 30953"]
Hola Nichy

Gracias y qué bueno que te haya gustado. El mundo es un pañuelo.

Saludos desde Chile.

Como era de esperar, estoy atascado con la reparación de la caja de cambios. Las cosas se han vuelto muy difíciles con respecto a la entrega de piezas desde el extranjero, y el desmontaje se ha revelado como una tarea bastante difícil.

Cuidaos a todos.

Pairoa
[/ CITAR]

Si necesitas encargar partes con una mensajería prueba con genei.es podras encargar que vallan a por las piezas sin que nadie se mueva de casa.

Un saludo

Keyne

Adventurer
Wow! What a project. So cool. While a 6x6 is big I think for my wife it could help me win the going full-time debate... sort of like an offroad Class A motorhome with amazing tankage for off-grid living.

Not that you need it, but if you are looking for 6x6 inspiration I am currently obsessed with this 6x6 Actionmobil they have for sale. Not sure about the width of the bed but I really like the layout for a full-time living setup. Anyway, good luck with your project.

Keyne

Adventurer
Have you driven other trucks of similar size (e.g. a 4x4 Mercedes 917/1017)? How maneuverable is the 6x6 to drive?

pairospam

Observer
1785.JPG

1781.JPG

2587.jpg

10123.JPG

Hi, Keyne:

Yes, I have, and it was fun, every time.

The problems are pretty clear regarding 6x6 trucks: the lenght and the drag. Obviously, you can have a very long truck, 4x2, 4x4, 6x2, etc., and the turning problem is the same.

I was able to drive without trouble through the downtown streets of my city with the 12 m long 6x6 Tatra, though at least a couple of fence posts was blown up by the buggy hung in the back when trying to get to the entrance of the piece of ground in the country.

The drag (and all the related costs) of the tandem is inherent to the configuration so, if you want the extra traction, you have to pay for extra tires, extra parts, extra oil, etc.

The Merkabah has a fantastic steering, it can turn pretty tight despite of its driven front axle. The Atego was very capable too. I do not remember well about the Zetros, it was fun, though. For every truck the situation is different, of course, and I think the MAN trucks, especially the older ones, have Mercedes front axles (or at least the same design) and they steer similarly.

If you have a crush for the Action Mobile MAN and you have the money, go for it. If you don't have the money, then build one yourself. Anyone can do it, I am proof of it.

Cheers.

Pairoa

Neil

Observer
Pairoa.

We stumbled,by sheer chance, into the Tatra shown in your pictures. It was parked in the back garden of a house hidden high in the hills near Pucon, Chile. A friend of our rented a house there and when she turned up it was parked in the garden. It clearly hadn't been moved for a very long time. Tyres were flat, covered in green moss and the grass and brambles around it where as high as the room. We knew this vehicle and it's owners from the UK. It was very sad to see such a great vehicle being neglected and deteriorating.

Neil

Sitec

Adventurer
Pairoa.

We stumbled,by sheer chance, into the Tatra shown in your pictures. It was parked in the back garden of a house hidden high in the hills near Pucon, Chile. A friend of our rented a house there and when she turned up it was parked in the garden. It clearly hadn't been moved for a very long time. Tyres were flat, covered in green moss and the grass and brambles around it where as high as the room. We knew this vehicle and it's owners from the UK. It was very sad to see such a great vehicle being neglected and deteriorating.

Neil

Recently Neil? Pairoa, you need to find out more!

pairospam

Observer
Hi guys:

Well... I am actually not surprised by the fate of the poor Tatra. Jago has always had many different interests and the truck certainly is not one of them any more. Lucy and him are raising their kids in the UK and they all look pretty happy. My wife and her still keep contact through the social media, though not much.

At this point the truck must have pretty serious problems with importation and permits issues. Maybe it is cheaper and easier to let it get turned to rust than paying the bill.

There was a lot of thinking, efforts, money and time spent on that truck. Shame.

Pairoa

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi guys:

Well... I am actually not surprised by the fate of the poor Tatra. Jago has always had many different interests and the truck certainly is not one of them any more. Lucy and him are raising their kids in the UK and they all look pretty happy. My wife and her still keep contact through the social media, though not much.

At this point the truck must have pretty serious problems with importation and permits issues. Maybe it is cheaper and easier to let it get turned to rust than paying the bill.

There was a lot of thinking, efforts, money and time spent on that truck. Shame.

Pairoa

That's a pity! So what plates are on it? Sounds like it 'doesn't exist'... Would he sell it? Any recent pics? :)

Neil

Observer
It was December 2018 when we saw it.

Pairoa is absolutely correct. The authorities in Chile are pretty switched on. I would imagine making the vehicle legal or exporting it now would be an expensive challenge

Neil

Attachments

• received_10215118962430222.jpeg
    received_10215118962430222.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 81

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94