Method 701's worth paying for vs something else for free

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So as part of my SEMA Transit build I found that with the 5x160 bolt pattern there are only a few wheel choices available.
Normally I am not a fellow that goes crazy when it comes to wheel choices. I either run a stock looking steel wheel so I can beat it back into shape if some rock attacks me in the back country or stick with the stock aluminum wheels if they are the right size.
Copy-KIMG0011-1024x576.jpg

In the case of our Transit build, Ford blessed us with a cute little 28 inch tire on a 16 inch wheel of steel. Normally this would be great as a 255/85/16 has been a fantastic size on my last few builds. However with the Quadvan 4wd conversion I also need to change the offset in order to squeeze as much tire in and not rub against the coil spring on the strut. Oh and yeah in the very near future we are going to see what can be done about some custom reservoir shocks with custom rate coil springs.

While I didn’t have first hand experience with any of the wheels available I did know Method from watching how well they held up during all the NORRA Mexican 1000’s I chased for. Almost any wheel will work on the street and most will work for a normally loaded rig on forest roads. But beat on a wheel in Baja or put it on a heavy vehicle and the real test begins.
Method-logo.png

Now is the point you start thinking, “well of course he likes Method, they are giving him free wheels”. Nope, I am paying for these, yes there is a discount but I would rather pay for something that works in remote areas than run free that leaves me stranded.

With previous SEMA builds the wheel choice did come down to the best partner deal since all the choices were about the same in performance. However for this van since I can’t more than a 33 inch tire and can’t really go wide I know I will be airing down often and many times way way down. That means a higher risk of rolling off a bead in sand, mud or snow. Sure I know how to re-seat a bead, and with the Extreme Outback compressor and a tank it won’t be hard. But even better is not having to deal with the problem in the first place.

I have seen first hand Method Trail series wheels aired down to 5psi and hold a bead, to me that is worth paying for.
bead-grip-1024x643.jpg

So the winner for our Chase Red Transit will be Method 701 bronze wheels in 17 inch size, worth the cash I say……and now to figure out tires.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
So as part of my SEMA Transit build I found that with the 5x160 bolt pattern there are only a few wheel choices available.
Normally I am not a fellow that goes crazy when it comes to wheel choices. I either run a stock looking steel wheel so I can beat it back into shape if some rock attacks me in the back country or stick with the stock aluminum wheels if they are the right size.
Copy-KIMG0011-1024x576.jpg

In the case of our Transit build, Ford blessed us with a cute little 28 inch tire on a 16 inch wheel of steel. Normally this would be great as a 255/85/16 has been a fantastic size on my last few builds. However with the Quadvan 4wd conversion I also need to change the offset in order to squeeze as much tire in and not rub against the coil spring on the strut. Oh and yeah in the very near future we are going to see what can be done about some custom reservoir shocks with custom rate coil springs.

While I didn’t have first hand experience with any of the wheels available I did know Method from watching how well they held up during all the NORRA Mexican 1000’s I chased for. Almost any wheel will work on the street and most will work for a normally loaded rig on forest roads. But beat on a wheel in Baja or put it on a heavy vehicle and the real test begins.
Method-logo.png

Now is the point you start thinking, “well of course he likes Method, they are giving him free wheels”. Nope, I am paying for these, yes there is a discount but I would rather pay for something that works in remote areas than run free that leaves me stranded.

With previous SEMA builds the wheel choice did come down to the best partner deal since all the choices were about the same in performance. However for this van since I can’t more than a 33 inch tire and can’t really go wide I know I will be airing down often and many times way way down. That means a higher risk of rolling off a bead in sand, mud or snow. Sure I know how to re-seat a bead, and with the Extreme Outback compressor and a tank it won’t be hard. But even better is not having to deal with the problem in the first place.

I have seen first hand Method Trail series wheels aired down to 5psi and hold a bead, to me that is worth paying for.
bead-grip-1024x643.jpg

So the winner for our Chase Red Transit will be Method 701 bronze wheels in 17 inch size, worth the cash I say……and now to figure out tires.
Method honors their structural integrity. They actually back it up.

D

Deleted member 9101

Plenty of guys around here run Method wheels and I habe never heard a complaint.

1stDeuce

Explorer
You could easily make the steel wheels work, possibly with some 1.25 spacers if spring rubbing is a problem with the 255's. BUT you're building a van for SEMA... You pretty much HAVE to put bling wheels on it.

All the rest of your concern about rocks and debeading is rubbish, IMO. Seriously, if you tag a rock hard enough to take a chunk out of an aluminum wheel, there's a very good chance you probably also destroyed the tire, tie rod, upper ball joint, etc and you're going nowhere. Debeading is not really a concern either. Running a 255/85 on a skinny stock steel wheel, you're going to have a hard time peeling it off even if you air down farther than necessary and drive like you're in a TV commercial.

While you made a nice case, I think the underlying truth is that very nature of a SEMA build simply demands a nice set of Method wheels. Your other justifications may just help you sleep a bit better at night. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94