Mexico - Mainland Pacific Coast - July 9 to 26

viatierra

Explorer
Road Report 7/15/07

I´ve gotten settled in Guanajuato, taken my first Spanish class and maintained a typical Mexico schedule (food, beer, siesta, food, beer, explore...) Once I moved into my permenant home, I got really sick on Saturday. So you can add another temporary step into the schedule.

Sunday, I was feeling much better and anxious to get out of town & wander. In the morning I hiked ¨La Buffa¨. It´s a great hike to get acclimated to the altitude and get some great views. There were several local groups or families out enjoying the outdoors. Really nice to see. I made it a quick aerobic climb as I needed to be back to my family´s house for lunch. After being sick, I had missed out on too many good meals!

830615587_c94d062dd7.jpg

830615775_3ce7401200.jpg

830615795_158fb9cce8.jpg

830674603_b396c812cd.jpg

830674653_ae51fff8d3.jpg

Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
Road Report 7/15/07 con´t

For Sunday afternoon, I selected a few backroads on the map I had. All the maps are inaccurate and incomplete, so I knew not to have expectations. However, I needed a direction and a goal. It was an awesome afternoon. Didn´t go where I intended, but I have the GPS tracks and will try again later this week. There are several great backroads through the mountains north of town. The vegitation was so thick, I couldn´t take any pictures to give justice to the experice. There were great granite cliffs, creek crossings and lots of hidden agricultural pueblos. Almost every bridge or crossing had a group swimming or fishing.

On the trip home, I ran into a man from Oaxca named Eloy and his minivan broken down crossing the pass back into town. I pulled him for about an hour back into Guanajuato. If I ever make it down to Oaxca, I have a place to stay!

830761331_6f73c40ba2.jpg

830761335_2f19b964fe.jpg

830761387_6a86c6181f.jpg

830822813_b85a8d4e2c.jpg

830822843_7a67c5ab0e.jpg

Here are the rest of the pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viatierra/sets/72157600858585776/

More to come,
Greg

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Another "Americano intelegente" moment? You're like the king of tow strap recovery in all parts North American.

1. Is it coming out of your mouth or your butt? You should see what's coming out of the butts at home right now.

2. Are you seeking out a little money and a place to go where you can live high while I lay low?

3. F-up my Eazi-Awn and I'm laying claim to your Maggiolina.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Do not forget to visit the Momias de Guanajuato, it's a must visit if you are in Guanajuato!:)

Oh! are you getting ready for the Volcano climb? It seems as you are working out and getting ready for your next climb!

viatierra

Explorer
eurorom said:
Do not forget to visit the Momias de Guanajuato, it's a must visit if you are in Guanajuato!:)

Oh! are you getting ready for the Volcano climb? It seems as you are working out and getting ready for your next climb!

I haven`t seen the Momias yet, but its on the list! As for the volcano, I found this GREAT LINK. It says that camping and hiking are available here with a small fee at the gate. :D

It looks insanely cool!

articulate said:
1. Is it coming out of your mouth or your butt?

As of Sunday all butt performance and products are within OEM specifications.

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
you are going to make me crazy...I am supposed to be working right now...

Guanajuato is one of my favorite places ever. A few years ago I rode a motorcycle all over Mexico and this town was probably the highlight of the trip. We stopped there mainly because one of my friends's wife is from there.

But somehow I missed the Momias museum, so I will have to go back one day....

By the way, I love your Tacoma!

viatierra

Explorer
Road Report - Life in Guanajuato...

As I suspected, I spent the remainder of my Mexico trip unplugged from the internet. I arrived safely in Phoenix on Wednesday night, but I still want to document some details and share my pictures.

Let's start with the house I live in. It is a georgous, modern home at the top of the hill above school. It only takes a 5 minute energetic walk up or down the hill to get back and forth. The host is Cindy, a 22-year old ballet teacher and law student. She is fluent in English and French, but makes a deliberate effort to only speak to me in Spanish. Kirk, a travelling chef for Holsum Foods is another student staying in the home. The three of us have 2 meals per day together and have great lively conversations in spanish each day. The home is owned by Cindy's parents. I've seen her father once. It is a pampered, cozy, well-fed existence.

924876296_4902a5f6b3.jpg

924873716_d7c0ffc1d2.jpg

Don Quijote Language School... This is my second time studying here. I've returned because I really love it. My instructors from last year are all still here. The reunion has been very sweet. I have 2 new instructors this year: Roman & Chelly. Roman reminds me of a Mexican version of Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgement High. He is young, full of smiles & jokes and is always open to have a good time. I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed his classes. Chelly is a very youthful, dynamic and energic teacher. She uses modern techniques and teaching styles. Everyone loves her classes because she really is a fantastic teacher. Although everything I learned was a review, my Spanish skills really leaped to a new plateau during this short trip.

924008371_fea60060a3.jpg

924012809_ebbc7c5371.jpg

Although I never did do another backroad trip from Guanajuato, I had a very busy week outside of classes. I went to a Salsa dancing class, saw a cultural film, visited the Museo de las Mommias, and made several new friends. I'm already planning my return next summer!

A few more of the town:

924004091_4e1d77676b.jpg

924853470_12ca33ef40.jpg

924018479_dd21d19826.jpg

924031727_7643cc6f86.jpg

Here are the pictures from the remainder of the week in Guanajuato:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viatierra/sets/72157601057912772/

More to come,
Greg

Last edited:

efuentes

Explorer
viatierra said:
Apparently Aguascalientes has some nice four wheeling and supports quite a 4x4 community. Just driving through town, I couldn´t help but notice 30-40 nicely set up vehicles (ARB bumpers, Rubicon racks, etc.). Mostly Wranglers & CJs, but I saw others as well. Future destination for exploration??

Try www.jeeperos.com, lots of guys from Aguascalientes and Guanajuato.

Saludos

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Nice report Greg. Great photos of the city. Glad you had such a great time, and it's good to see you'll be going back! Your truck still looks as cool as when it left :sombrero:

viatierra

Explorer
efuentes said:
Try www.jeeperos.com, lots of guys from Aguascalientes and Guanajuato.

Saludos

The Mexico Portal! Very cool.
I tried to contact some locals through a Guanajuato Jeep website but the email was returned. Next trip it would be so sweet to do a trail with locals. That site looks like the way to get it done. THANKS!

viatierra

Explorer
eurorom said:
Did you had an opportunity to go to the Volcano?

How about the Momias?

I did them BOTH! The volcano piece will probably get posted tomorrow. The Museo de Momias is pretty strict about pictures, BUT I did buy this postcard to put in my classroom and creep out the students.

:victory:

viatierra

Explorer
Road Report - Guadalajara & Tequila

As my time in Guanajuato came to a close, I began to prepare for the next leg of my journey: Guadalajara. I met lots of great people in Guanajuato... locals and other students. Cecilia, Andrea & Nicole were 3 students traveling together from New York. They were looking to do a weekend trip to Guadalajara, so they joined my in the truck for the drive. I got to have some company on the road, and they got to do their trip and only endure traveling by bus on the return. Win-win!

924887866_c9456caa4e.jpg

Guadalajara is the second largest city in Mexico... 9 million people. We didn't even scratch what the city has to offer, but we did enjoy exploring the historic central area on foot. One interesting place was Plaza de Mariachis. I think the musicians out number everyone else 30 to 1. It was great! The ladies were serenaded, and we all had drinks & a great meal.

924890534_04c47d2845.jpg

924892954_da7161497d.jpg

924051779_6d95f36652.jpg

924048101_ad521045f2.jpg

924910816_7540c05997.jpg

The next day we all went to the town of Tequila. You may have heard that in order for Tequila to be real Tequila it must come from this town. I was hoping to see the PATRON distillery and hit the road. Well it turns out, as I would later learn, the ordinance says that Tequila must come from the "Tequila Area, which includes the town of Tequila and its surrounding areas... including the state of Jalisco and other designated areas". Patron is not distilled in town and the locals didn't seem to know where it was. The two big distilleries in town are Sauza and Jose Cuervo. Sauza was not open to the public the day we were there so... Cuervo it is. Since I was enjoying the company of 3 fun, attractive ladies it didn't take much to convice me to put volcanoes off and drink Tequilla instead. Make no mistake, the folks at the Jose tour were not bashful about handing out the drinks. Throughout the tour I had 4 full shots, a margarita and a 1/2 shot of unaged firewater straight from the tap in hell. It was ridiculous fun! After a big lunch and a long rest, the girls bought out a Tequila shop and we went our seperate ways.

924914936_b83a94902d.jpg

924921634_feea3f8d41.jpg

Next up, a date with a volcano!
More to come...

Here are the pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viatierra/sets/72157601059534363/

Last edited:

viatierra

Explorer
A couple of other favorites:

Cuervo Taco
924931226_1ecc23076a.jpg

Cuervo Family stash
924077689_acf0b34699.jpg

Picture of girls taking pictures of dresses
924048765_15a06a2371.jpg

I'm not sure what proof this stuff is... but it is EVIL!
I thought the little communion cups were funny...
924925156_d7d94200ba.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior