MG Metalworks Van Build

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I loved that show too. Miss it, but understand why Dave left.

Seriously, that is one awesome project you're about to embark on. I may have missed this, but what are you replacing with the Cummins?

Village Idiot
I wish we lived near each other. I would so love to get my hands dirty on this one.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I may have missed this, but what are you replacing with the Cummins?
My van currently has a 5.4L.

I wish we lived near each other. I would so love to get my hands dirty on this one.

I'd welcome the help! That's a bit of a commute though. :)
At this point the biggest hurdle is the engine management and interfacing with the Ford CAN bus so that I don't lose any functionality in the vehicle or in the drivetrain. The 2013 Dodge ECM needs to be "unlocked" and right now only one company does it...for $1300. On top of that, there is not a tuner available yet to deal with the emissions deletes I plan to do. I'd imagine that by the time I get the engine on the stand and get most of the wiring sorted out, there will be a tuner out there but it doesn't exist quite yet. Oh yeah, and as of today's date, there is no stand alone controller for the Allison 6-speed for a swap like this (though a couple people have done some custom hardware solutions). I'm heading into uncharted territory here but I like to push the limits of my capabilities because I learn the most when I set ridiculous goals for myself.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Talked to a guy today that has already done this swap! He's sending me his contact info, I'll pass it on to you. Said he'd be happy to talk.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
At this point the biggest hurdle is the engine management and interfacing with the Ford CAN bus so that I don't lose any functionality in the vehicle or in the drivetrain. The 2013 Dodge ECM needs to be "unlocked" and right now only one company does it...for $1300.

Have you thought of approaching the truck / RV guys. Surely the tranny and ECM's out of a freightliner or one of the other chassis suppliers could be used. Not sure about supplying the inputs for the Ford CAN Bus though.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Have you thought of approaching the truck / RV guys. Surely the tranny and ECM's out of a freightliner or one of the other chassis suppliers could be used. Not sure about supplying the inputs for the Ford CAN Bus though.

Yeah, that route is definitely on the list to investigate. It all comes down to tuning. There are several readily available options for tuning a dodge/cummins ECM but, from what I can tell, very few options for tuning a medium duty truck ECM. The cost of the Cummins software is ridiculous too. I haven't found any info on tuning a MD truck drivetrain to work in a light duty truck either. If I could find a straight answer for all of the questions I have, I'd be a happy man. I'm sure it would be much easier to deal with from a vehicle integration side if that option is viable.

The biggest problem with the CAN bus isn't really knowing how to interface with it. I can put together the hardware/software to read and inject data into the bus for under $100 now thanks to some low-cost, open source microcontrollers. The problem lies in decoding what messages do what and knowing what to do with the data. Luckily the E-series is relatively "dumb" so the number of systems interacting on the bus is much lower than something like a loaded F350.

I totally geek out on this kind of stuff so I'm super excited to dive in and figure it all out. :)

dcguillory

Adventurer
Watching this build I, alternately, want to go back to school or shoot myself. Too much awesome. When are we gunna get the jig for extending the hinges? I will come watch your kids so you can work more. Actually I will just bring your kids back with me and lump em in with my seven, my wife wont even notice the extra.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Watching this build I, alternately, want to go back to school or shoot myself. Too much awesome. When are we gunna get the jig for extending the hinges? I will come watch your kids so you can work more. Actually I will just bring your kids back with me and lump em in with my seven, my wife wont even notice the extra.

Funny you should mention going back to school... I'm actually going back to OSU in September to start a Computer Science program. Partly because my employer is funding it and a good opportunity I have within the company but also because of this project and others like it. Since the day I left engineering school, I've always regretted not taking more programming and software engineering classes. I finally decided to do something about it.

I haven't forgotten about the slider hinges. I have a bunch of parts ready to put together and test out but it will have to wait until the Sienna seats are installed.

7 kids???!!! And I thought two was more than enough work...

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Wow... This took a fair amount of effort to pull off. The first one is always the hardest though. I have a bunch of changes to make to the CAD model for the next go around. No significant redesigns, just little tweaks and add material here, subtract material there... The swivel works well and release lever does what it should too.
DSC_0289 (536x800).jpg
Unlike other swivel mounts for the Ford seats, with this combo you can actually shut the door and have quite a good range of use of the seat when it is facing backwards. The seat locks into place in the rear facing position too.
DSC_0284 (536x800).jpg
Hey, how about that! Both recliners can be used at the same time (I didn't think this would be possible before I started this project). If you rotate the front seat to face all the way backwards, the two foot rests can come out and just touch each other so it makes it like a long lounger.
DSC_0285 (800x536).jpg
DSC_0287 (800x536).jpg
I'm beat... Where's the beer? :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94