MG Metalworks Van Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I'm done with photobucket... which unfortunately means that most of my pictures aren't going to work in this thread until I update links. Same goes for the other threads I've started. I'll try to get things updated over the holiday weekend.

Happy 4th everyone! Be safe!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'm done with photobucket... which unfortunately means that most of my pictures aren't going to work in this thread until I update links. Same goes for the other threads I've started. I'll try to get things updated over the holiday weekend.

Happy 4th everyone! Be safe!

Someone needs to come up with (if they haven't already) an auto-conversion for old pics in photobucket or smugmug or flick where people want to move to a free platform like picasa...
Happy 4th, don't blow up any driver side airbags or anything!!

another_mike

Adventurer
Wait, what's wrong with photobucket? I wanna switch to whatever the cool kids are using sooner rather then later.

Previously, people (and myself) hosted our photos on photobucket and then embedded code into a post like this site so people could see them... called 3rd party hosting. They changed their operation and now require a $400 yearly membership to do this.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Designed and fabricated some mounts for the AMP Research power steps.... chipping away at the Cummins van one little project at a time.

The fit was right on, really happy with how they came out.

20170809_142029.jpg

20170809_161759.jpg

20170809_161724.jpg

The AMP Research parts are a mismatch of kits. There isn't an E-series specific kit so I used the same part numbers as the SEMA van had.

gh0ztkid21

Observer
Designed and fabricated some mounts for the AMP Research power steps.... chipping away at the Cummins van one little project at a time.

The fit was right on, really happy with how they came out.

View attachment 413271

View attachment 413272

View attachment 413273

The AMP Research parts are a mismatch of kits. There isn't an E-series specific kit so I used the same part numbers as the SEMA van had.

That is awesome will you be making these available for purchase? I was talking with Bruce about what I needed for the amp power steps and he sent me info on the 2 different kits to get and what was needed to fit the kits but it would be so much easier to buy what you designed for a bolt on kit.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
That is awesome will you be making these available for purchase? I was talking with Bruce about what I needed for the amp power steps and he sent me info on the 2 different kits to get and what was needed to fit the kits but it would be so much easier to buy what you designed for a bolt on kit.

Yes, after I sort out the process for drilling the frame holes. I might have to relocate some of the holes in the brackets to make drill clearance better. I also want to get them wired up, adjusted and working properly so I can offer adequate tech support.

gh0ztkid21

Observer
Ok great please keep us updated bc I will be first in line. I almost purchased the 2 kits and followed Bruce's steps to install them but decided against it. Glad I did.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Incredible fab work--impressive!! Looks like a very stout solution for easily mounting the AMP steps.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I was in a wiring mood after Gregor's van and spent the weekend making a mess of the dash then getting it all back together with some functional gauges.

20170814_181139.jpg

When I first started this Cummins swap project, I was set on getting the factory instrument cluster to work. And I did...get it to work...sort of. I had a working CAN "translator" device that would read in Chrysler and send out Ford but it wasn't stable. Sometimes it would start up clean, sometimes no communication, sometimes it would choke on the number of packets being sent. I was confronted with two options: 1) continue down this path of complete integration and spend time (that i don't have) and money (that needs to go to other projects) to co-develop the hardware/software to make this work perfectly with a buddy of mine who does this sort of thing for a living. or 2) Simplify the ******t out of this van, strip it down to the basics and install some gauges that operate in a way that most people understand.

I chose option 2.

As it turns out, it was no easy task getting this setup to work but now it's done and I finally have a way to monitor the vitals. I even have a check trans and check engine light. Speedo is easily calibrated to the speed signal coming off the trans, the tach runs on the CAN bus from the engine ECM and the rest of the gauges are electro-mechanical with their own sending units.

The van is usable now. Time to start venturing outside of my neighborhood.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Option 2 seems like a good choice. You can always go back and tackle the factory dash integration later if you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles