MG Metalworks Van Build

ArtC2

Explorer
Rollin' beads in air cleaner parts. The custom airbox fabrication begins! (one of the last parts to fab before the front end goes back together).

I got all the laser parts today for the radiator and intercooler mounting. Hopefully I can get that all welded up and test fit in the next couple of days then sent off to powder coating. While those parts are being finished, I'll install the main wiring harness, get the Sterling rear end in place and have some drivelines made. So close to making my way through the pre-drive checklist! Based on how things have been going lately, I'll be happy if I can manage a test drive on or before my birthday in mid-Jan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jb1rd

Explorer
Would you stop already, I am running out of suitable adjectives to describe your talent!! Seriously, you are a fabricating bad @$$

ry3w

Or make something like a jeep would have for the fuel hole cover up any potential uglyness
1428cd0586ed865b8d2a34f14bbf8b6e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I am glad someone mentioned an option before I stepped way out on the limb. Limb gets thin this far out. Some might consider it too much bling factor but if it serves a rightful purpose then it loses the bling factor.

Rather than having to go thru with dimpling and damaging existing paint when all that is needed is a simple hole.
https://www.newton-equipment.com/
Yes they are UK based but several sources here stateside.
http://fuelsafe.com/store/fill-accessories/standard-fill-caps-newton-equipment.html

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Thanks for the ideas guys. However... as complicated and time consuming and (more) expensive as it is, I prefer to have a recessed fuel door just like the original. Upon first look, I want people to actually think that what I've done is a factory install. I may have a few performance items here and there but my goal has been to make things look like they came that way.

The quote for the dies came back cheap so totally worth a shot. They're being machined now. If it doesn't work, I'll weld in a fuel door and have the paint touched up. I have to repaint my windowless rear doors anyway so it can all be done at the same time.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks for the ideas guys. However... as complicated and time consuming and (more) expensive as it is, I prefer to have a recessed fuel door just like the original. Upon first look, I want people to actually think that what I've done is a factory install. I may have a few performance items here and there but my goal has been to make things look like they came that way.

The quote for the dies came back cheap so totally worth a shot. They're being machined now. If it doesn't work, I'll weld in a fuel door and have the paint touched up. I have to repaint my windowless rear doors anyway so it can all be done at the same time.

OEM+ or go home. :victory:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I am glad someone mentioned an option before I stepped way out on the limb. Limb gets thin this far out. Some might consider it too much bling factor but if it serves a rightful purpose then it loses the bling factor.

Rather than having to go thru with dimpling and damaging existing paint when all that is needed is a simple hole.
https://www.newton-equipment.com/
Yes they are UK based but several sources here stateside.
http://fuelsafe.com/store/fill-accessories/standard-fill-caps-newton-equipment.html

I agree with your logic. The nicest custom work I've seen looks OEM. In my career, we'll spend hours modifying a project and if we've done our job well no one can tell. I recently replaced the stock Radio with a CD player from a 6 year newer Ford for the same reason... only a few would realize it wasn't an option in 1997. When I'm finished, only a smaller number will be able to tell it's not a newer cut away... :D

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...

Didn't want to speak for you, but that's what I figured!

The coolest thing about this rig is that is everything just looks like it belongs there. No hacked up wiring or backyard fabrication. Clearly lots of time, and sometimes a bit of trail and error, to get things right and make everything work together and look legit.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Finally some progress on the radiator and intercooler mounts! A new lower core support has been fabricated and the upper core support is trimmed. Now comes the fun part, making them look like I never touched them.

The radiator and shroud fit well. There's just enough room in front of it to mount the A/C condenser too. Even with the intercooler way out there in front, the grill support only needs a few little trims to fit like it's supposed to. Once the finish welding is done, the front end parts go to powder and I start running the wiring harness! Woo Hoo! I say that like it's easy but the truth is that I don't have the hood latch installed yet and of course the intercooler is making me change the location of that. It isn't a radical change in position...but just enough to make things difficult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles