Michelin LTX MX/2 Off-Road???

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
^^^^
LTX MS/2

I'm going to need to replace my current tires by the end of the year and for some reason really want to run these.

09576922000.jpg

They would be going on my 1997 4Runner in size 285/75-16. I spend a lot time in the desert. I don't rock crawl or do mud. I drive a lot of highway miles and value a quiet tire.

What do you think? Would these survive in a desert/exploring setting?

Last edited:

Doctor W

Adventurer
Michelin make really good tyres, their tread patterns are surprisingly grippy for how they look........but you really need an LT type tyre and choose a Load Rating like "D" or "E" - 8 or 10 plies respectively to cope with rough ground, sharp rocks and such.

digitaldelay

Explorer
That size is an LT tire (load range "E").

I've been running the original LTX M/S for the past 3 years and I am very impressed. Off road use has been limited to short excursions down little dirt or mud trails for fun, but they haven't let me down yet. Deep snow performance, if that is a factor for you, is outstanding. IMO, these will be the quietest 285's you will find.

I think you have a good idea here: 33" tire that you can live with on the highway, yet you can air it down when you need to and have just about as much traction as most AT's out there.

Good luck with your decision!

Jason

boris

I put these on my girlfriend's Cherokee 22k mikes ago and they've been exceptional on the highway, dirt roads, and snow. Smaller size though.

I picked up a suburban this summer that has the previous version on it in 33x12.5 and they were just fine in the sand.

Have been very happy with these tires

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

burn_e

Adventurer
These are one of the first choices over here.

Very comfy on the road very good in all kinds of sand and gravel.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yes, Michelins are good tires. ANECDOTE: The only thing I can say is that with brand new LTXs on my 100 I had the tread split circumferentially right down the center, about a 8" gap in off-highway desert driving. I was crazy-lucky in someone wanted 3 tires for his 2wd truck and a spare off craigslist. I decided on others. I saw someone on ih8mud have the exact same problem in same conditions.

I'm not necessarily faulting Michelin, just possibly not the right tire for the harsher conditions.

THAT SAID, I do plan on pickup some LTXs for a very long road trip (lots of hwy, lots of dirt) next summer.

njtacoma

Explorer
My Father-in-law runs these on his '99 7.3 CC 4x4 and really likes them. They do a lot of highway miles pulling a 5th wheel and a bit of time in the desert rocks and sticks bird hunting. He has liked them and is on his 4th or 5th set. Tried some others in there but didn't care for them. He did have a few punctures on the rocks in the sidewall, but he is driving a little to fast and looking more for birds than driving.

Can't comment on quiet, it is a 7.3 after all.

Desert Dan

Explorer
They should be fine for your planned use. I would check on the sidewall ply rating and compare it with a BFG AT tire.

Load Range E might be a bit much for your 4-Runner?

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
To my knowledge there is no Michelin LTX MX/2 tire, the tire pictured 'above' is a Michelin LTX MS/2.

I run on my various Rigs the LTX MS/2 and also the LTX AT/2.
The LTX AT/2 are a little more off road orientated and just about as quiet as the LTX MS/2 for high speed road use.

tire-ltx-a-t2-hero.png

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I love the Michelin LTXs and have used them on LX470s, my Astro, my WJ and even the Aerocruiser motorhome. The snow performance is excellent, wet handling is very good, the highway performance is exceptional, and the dirt and gravel road performance is great in dry weather. And they are very quiet.

It is not until you have a significant mud traction challenge that LTXs aren't total winners. They just have too high a tread to void ratio to excel, but that's what makes them so quite and handle so well.

I had BFG ATs on the WJ first and found the LTXs to be considerably more refined. The ATs are a good tire and probably a little better in mud, but if you need something more aggressive than the LTXs, also consider Hankook ATMs and Goodyear DuraTracs. Both are excellent true all-terrains.

GlennA

Adventurer
My brother has a set on a 1994 Chevrolet Extended cab 4wd. He currently has over 120,000 miles on them and they still ride like new. They see about 2 miles of rough dirt road and 40 miles of pavement daily. They have never been or rotated or rebalanced. He drives it like he stole it. We use it on our property to drag downed trees etc. Once it slips in 2wd, we put it in 4wd and drive away. They wouldn''t be my choice for a mud tire, but all around, I am impressed. They will be my next set of tires.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
I have LTX MS in 215 70 16 and they have been very very good to me, no idea how many miles are on them got them on a 2004 rav4 that had 54000 when I hot it. I now have 96000 and they are still good. Very quiet and winter capable. Not sure if I will run them again though, 170 each is almost twice the cost of geolandar ats in the same or slight up size. Might be worth the cost though. My dad had a set on his tundra in 17" and also liked them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles