Michelin LTX MX/2 Off-Road???

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
tire-ltx-a-t2-hero.png

So I've really curious as to the off-highway and rocky capability of the LTXAT2? Can anyone expound on their experience?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Scott, here is one thread that I've been following of a 3rd Gen 4Runner on 285/75-16's. I asked her for a review and this is what she posted.

I've got about 30,000 miles on the AT2s. I debated heavily over those and the ol' faithful BFG ATs. Because I had excellent experiences with the Michelin LTX M/S (Ford Bronco II, Ford Exploder, this 96 4Runner) I went with the A/Ts for a little more of an aggressive tread pattern/look while still maintaining civility with my daily driver.

It's almost as good as the LTX m/s on the road. So far they've been as good as the LTX m/s on the trail- those m/s's actually did really well on everything I've driven them over, can't beat all those sipes. They seem to be wearing almost as well as the LTX m/s (got 80,000 miles on those!). I do not do deep mud, preferring rocky trails instead, and these have done great on those. I had a little slippage on one small rock ledge going up mineral creek outside Ouray, CO in the drizzle but that's been the worst of it and a better angle of approach did the trick there. I've done the same trail, same conditions with the LTX m/s with similar results. The ATs do hang onto gravel but not as bad as the m/s tires. On the little mud I've been on the ATs do better than the m/s. The ATs are quiet on the road, no rumble.

Would I choose something else? Is it wrong that I would want a set of ATs with siping like the m/s??? I'm going to see how these wear and then decide but if things continue as they are yes, I would buy again. Actually, come to think of it I did buy another set- the ones on the 99!
Just went out and measured- 9/32 tread left of the 17/32 it started with...not wearing quite as well as the LTX m/s, but not bad.

The complete build thread is here with many pictures of the 4Runner off-road. It looks like these tires would be a good all-around tire.

Pskhaat

When I bought my 1999 LC100 it had brand-new LTXMSs on it. Took it up on a relatively simple forest road outside of Phoenix and one tire had a split right down the centerline of the tread, about 6" long and slowly/audibly leaking air. Used car dealer (I bought it there at a very good deal and thus used them) refused to address it nor would any tire shop replace it without knowing where I bought them, but as I purchased in proxy I ended up using the older spare. Then, it happened again with the same style split down the center but I caught it well in time. That's when I finally put a lift on her and larger tires.

I think Michelin makes a world-class tire and initially I attributed it to the questionable car dealer, but in fact I've heard this a couple times the same situation over on 'Mud. I know if I bought Michelins myself and experienced the same they would have been taken care-of no questions asked, but I've hesitated ever since.

All that said, very interesting: almost as good as the LTXMS on the road leaves a little too much to question/the imagination, but good that on the little mud I've been on the ATs do better...

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
My largest concern with the AT2 is that it would chunk in rocky settings (especially loose rock).

Pskhaat

As to the chunking, I'm not so sure. I've seen these tires up-close and I've even heard of someone (shhhhh!) taking a pocket knife in the tire store to see how the tread cuts and "heard" they were much stiffer compound than expected. The voids are simply not big enough to get any of the tiny lugs stuck on a rock to be ripped, it would rather be a friction-thing.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We've been running these on our F350 for quite a while. As others have noted they are a quality tire that strikes a balance towards the mild off road end of the spectrum. They are great on the highway, and work very well for mild off road excursions.

Our use for this vehicle is not extreme, so I can't really speak to the tires performance in really wet or muddy conditions.

Probably the best I can say is we keep coming back to this tire. I think we recently put our 4th set of these on the truck.

wilderness

Adventurer
So I've really curious as to the off-highway and rocky capability of the LTXAT2? Can anyone expound on their experience?

They are amazing. They have impressed everyone and exceeded my expectations. They did better than my friends mud tires off-road in some places and were just as good in others. This one rocky muddy hill my friend had to winch up the hill and I was able to drive right up it.

Bigger Al

Our shop has sold Michelin tires for about 30 years. I've used the original LTX M/S' on the front of my 2000 Dodge 3500 service truck since it was new, and those were some of the best all-around tires available anywhere for any price. They simply worked. I've not yet had the opportunity to use the LTX M/S2 tread yet, as I'm still on set #3 of the originals. Each set has lasted approximately 65K-70K over varying terrain. I do a lot of highway miles, but will typically get 8K-10K each year on some very rugged gravel roads, powerline and canal right-of-ways, and granite/shale trails. The tires take it all in stride, and in 191K I've not yet been able to destroy one.
The LTX M/S2 has been a very good tire so far, judging by the comments from our customers. It's a bit quieter than the older tread design, and mileage has been about equal. Were I to outfit a rig for a long expedition, I'd pop for the LTX A/T2's specifically for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread, mainly the better traction when things get really slick or sticky. Good driving and creative solutions to bad roads or trails will pay off with these tires, IMHO. They'll last much longer than some of the more aggressive treads out there, and Michelin's quality is second to none. Better ride quality will also pay, as there will be less wear-and-tear on the vehicle, and on the occupants.

The only nit I have to pick with the LTX A/T2 is that they will sometimes show some bad cupping patterns on the outer edges of the tires if they are not rotated regularly. This is exacerbated by having tires mounted on rims that are too narrow, or by not being certain that the initial balancing is spot-on.

blackdmax15

Observer
They are amazing. They have impressed everyone and exceeded my expectations. They did better than my friends mud tires off-road in some places and were just as good in others. This one rocky muddy hill my friend had to winch up the hill and I was able to drive right up it.

Seconded. I have had 2 sets on my last 2500hd and will be getting them as soon as my current tires wear out. The LTX AT/2s are damn near silent on the asphalt, their we weather handling is amazing and driving on snow/slush is like it's not even there. I preach these tires on the diesel forums. They wear great too and have a 50k mile warranty.

The only thing i cannot comment on is them chunking in rocky terrain. Never took my duramax rock crawling because i was afraid to scratch a 50k black truck. The only negative is they tend to grab little rocks and release them at about 55mph. Other than that best all around tire i have ever had (and i literally buy more sets of tires than shoes in the course of a year).

Also forgot to add the sand traction at 60psi is great. I never aired down and on many trips down padre island national seashore i would go places in 2wd that my buddy in a rubicon with mtrs and 4wd would have problems. And my other friend in a tacoma with new bfg km2s would dig where i would float over the sand.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior