Military Surplus camper vehicles

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
The M809, M939 series 5 tons and LMTV have all their mechanical parts available over the counter at the heavy duty truck parts stores (peterbilt, kenworth......). They run commercial drivetrains. The cummins NHC250 is part of the N14 series engines that was used in 18 wheelers and similar vehicles up into the 90's. The cummins 8.3L is still being installed in medium duty trucks/marine equipment. The m35 series deuce and a half and the m39 series 5 ton (m51, 52, 54...) are more difficult to get engine and transmission parts for.

Each generation has it's upsides/downsides.

The TM maintenance schedule was written assuming the vehicle would always be driven in rough offroad driving at full capacity. After owning these for awhile the only extra required maintenance would be having to grease joints more often so a powered grease gun would be a wise investment, and removing the wheel hubs and brake drum about once a year to grease the bearings and check the brakes.

technoweenie

the more modern LMTV (AWD 4x4) and MTV (AWD 6x6) which are part of the FMTV group, is the better route to go for Military Based Expedition rig these days. They have similar limitations that the past era ones do, but parts will be available longer? Maintenance/checks as written in the manuals (called TM's) is also needed to be rather strictly be followed. Easy to do if you go back home often. For those on Extended long trips you should plan your route accordingly to be near shops or say even other owners of these rigs who like to turn a wrench so you can do the sheduled checks... IMHO esp. checks having to do with rear driveline.

Having talked to current and retired personnel, including those whose job it was to maintain the FMTV/LMTV/MTV etc... They all unanimously said the FMTVs sucked, because everything was electrical. If there was a sensor failure or something stupid you were SOL, and it would take HOURS to track something down. ALL loved the 900 series for their relative simplicity.. They all liked the 'roadworthiness' of the FMTV, in terms of speed, road noise, fuel economy (relative,lol), etc.. but that when they DID have issues, it sucked the big one.. With 900 series, they usually could effect an FER whereas the FMTVs were towed away 95% of the time...

It all comes down to creature comforts and daily use vs reliability, IMO...

Not that the FMTV is that unreliable, but when there is an issue, you can't McGuyver your way out of stuff like you can with a 800/900 series.. Mechanical 'everything' on the 800/900 vs electrical 'everything' on the FMTV...

Last edited:

evilram

I've had very few problems with my 5 ton. No more so (albeit heavier parts) than any RV or tow rig I've owned.

Yes, it's slow, but I wouldn't be going over 60 pulling a camper anyways.

As for being top heavy, it doesn't seem it to me. For now, I've just installed a slide in. But, the build thread for the permanent unit will be coming as I get further along.

I've done a MN-Denver trip, which was just under 1000 miles. Beyond being loud prior to redoing exhaust, it wasn't too bad.

Besides, how can you go wrong with this kind of stuff?

Attachments

• utyw.jpg
    utyw.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 72
Here is what is suppose to be bolt in diffs for high speed driving of a LMTV - currently on EBAY at $2500 - supposedly out of an MRAP vehicle. 3.07 ratio versus the standard 3.90

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1078-M1079...ash=item1a17029962:g:9mEAAOSwanRXhc3E&vxp=mtr
You can also get a two speed transfer case with high range 1.09 and low range 2.47. Even with the higher speed differentials one might want to Put on 14.00R20s.
I've been traveling through Mongolia and Siberia with a modern electronic vehicle, a Unimog U500. I carry a Mercedes Star computer system, spare computer units and sensors etc. The modern amenities are really nice and that is probably also true for the FMTV.
Charlie

Coachgeo

Explorer
You can also get a two speed transfer case with high range 1.09 and low range 2.47. Even with the higher speed differentials one might want to Put on 14.00R20s.
I've been traveling through Mongolia and Siberia with a modern electronic vehicle, a Unimog U500. I carry a Mercedes Star computer system, spare computer units and sensors etc. The modern amenities are really nice and that is probably also true for the FMTV.
Charlie

??? What transfer case are you referring to that can be swapped in to replace the AWD transfer case that is integrated into the Allison tranny in the FMTV line? Or did I miss read and your saying a alternate Tcase for a Mog is available?

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I've always liked the M1010 conversions that people are doing. Not a Medium duty platform, so maintenance is still a breeze. The interior can be replaced with more comfortable civilian versions, and the box has plenty of space.
its slow, but that can be fixed as well.

1985-chevrolet-military-cucv-m1010-truck-ambulance-tactical-1-14-ton-4x4-k30-for-sale-2016-02-29-2-1024x576.jpg

davis31052

Adventurer
Having talked to current and retired personnel, including those whose job it was to maintain the FMTV/LMTV/MTV etc... They all unanimously said the FMTVs sucked, because everything was electrical. If there was a sensor failure or something stupid you were SOL, and it would take HOURS to track something down. ALL loved the 900 series for their relative simplicity.. They all liked the 'roadworthiness' of the FMTV, in terms of speed, road noise, fuel economy (relative,lol), etc.. but that when they DID have issues, it sucked the big one.. With 900 series, they usually could effect an FER whereas the FMTVs were towed away 95% of the time...

It all comes down to creature comforts and daily use vs reliability, IMO...

Not that the FMTV is that unreliable, but when there is an issue, you can't McGuyver your way out of stuff like you can with a 800/900 series.. Mechanical 'everything' on the 800/900 vs electrical 'everything' on the FMTV...

Truth!!!

LMTV and FMTV are loaded with electrical controls. The Army converted the OEM service and parts data to interactive tech manuals, and used a windows based diagnostic system ( ruggedized laptop with adapter cables and test sensors). The last invoice I saw one one of these testers was in 2005 and they cost the US Air Force $25K per tool kit.

If you are gonna buy any of these trucks, also look for a SPORT-ICE system to repair it with.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
I've been jonesing for a M925A1 bobbed of course; I've talked to a few owners I have met here in Portland and the consensus is that you need to treat it like you own a Freightliner or any other big diesel truck and for some people, yes that is a lot of upkeep but its worth it for when you do drive it around.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Lots of accurate, but misleading info here (oh, and sorry for resurrection of old thread).

An M35 is in no way comparable to the M939A2 line. 939 family (923, cargo, 934 van etc) are not difficult to source parts.

They are loud, but no where near that of the deuce. They have mufflers, and they are located behind the cab.

The 8.3 Cummins is a very common engine found in boats to dump trucks. Every Cummins dealer has parts. Between Ebay and Steel Soldiers, you can get other parts and advice on them.

Uncomfortable, yeah. But you are talking about building one out. Ok, start with the cab. One of mine got more attention than the other one.

In order of importance:

AC - absolutely necessary. I installed it and have never worked on an AC in my life. Total cost $2k including every little part. I think it can be done cheaper by piecing it together off eBay. (I used a Humvee AC system)

Air ride seats. Readily available in the commercial trucking industry. Absolutely Necessary for longer trips.

Back up camera - $200 Amazon. Very helpful.

My favorite, a VIC 3 radio/intercom. No way to have a conversation with your passenger at highway speeds. This one came with Bose noise canceling headsets (can also use aviation style intercoms too). Wonderful addition.

I put 16.00 tires on mine (53” tall) and HEMTT front wheels. Looks incredible.

There. Cab finished.

Then build your box.

A stick and fiberglass camper in the bed isn’t the best option on A true expedition vehicle. I don’t know how long it would make it. These things ride rough unless weighted down. These campers are not meant for this abuse.

I have driven mine from Idaho to TX without the upgrades mentioned, and make 300-400 mile trips now with the upgrades.

It’s not too bad. It is a totally different beast than before.

If you are serious about building one out, the cab has to be addressed first or you will dread the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94