military trailers and the m416 jeep trailer

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
just spotted a military trailer with the chain like recieving point where it used Rings like a chain.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1180031

Starting bid is like 50 bucks, Their are several on the website like this, my bro did it to me again where I discussed it with him and hes like DO IT (ill fab up a frame work around the trailer) all the time he gets me into trouble with mods first a turboed 4runner (which will happen) and now this trailer setup.

going to do a dual tire carrier where it sits two 33s in a tube seating for the spares.

gonna build some type of grill onto this and have a removable top so I can store stuff on long trips (mainly to put my crap in when I go out to Colorado State) and other stuff.

15.jpg

too big of a trailer?

MBTtarpFront.jpg

10786680m416mikes02iy8.jpg

10340358safaritent01dy6.jpg

i hope to do a gov liquidation sale as I dont think I can afford one other wise.

I love the adventure chasers but I def cannot afford one of those.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The only problem I can see with a military trailer is that they all use a pintle and ring hitch, which I believe is illegal for civilian vehicles to use (side question: Does anybody know why this is? Seems to me a pintle is more secure than a ball hitch, and God knows the military has been using pintles since before WWII and haven't had any serious accidents attributable to the pintle that I'm aware of.)

The first trailer you showed was a 3/4 ton trailer (can't remember the designation) but we used to pull those with HUMMWVs and CUCV's (3/4 ton Chevy trucks) all the time. In fact, I've seen those trailers pulled by M113 and M577 APCs, which makes for a very odd combination (tracked vehicle pulling a wheeled trailer. Does not have a brake, though. The 416 is a jeep trailer and I think is rated at 500lbs. I haven't seen a 416 trailer used by any military unit since the M151 Jeep was phased out in the late 80's.

njtaco

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:
The only problem I can see with a military trailer is that they all use a pintle and ring hitch, which I believe is illegal for civilian vehicles to use (side question: Does anybody know why this is?)

It isn't illegal, AFAIK. We sold pintle hitches/lunette eyes a LOT to contractors, and the occasional private party. They are common on farm and construction equipment, that is not recycled military gear. Maybe a local (state) rule?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online